fedora linux question about booting.

Operating Systems
Windows, Linux, Solaris, Red Hat, etc.....32 bit or 64 bit.
If its an OS, its here.
eric m.
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

fedora linux question about booting.

Post by eric m. »

hi guys. i recently installed fedora linux on a spare hard drive i had lying around and everything went fine except now i can't seem to boot into it. i probably did something wrong with setting up the boot loader but i can't seem to figure out what i did. is there any advice you can give for setting up the dual boot mode for linux and xp.

i looked up all the info on the redhat and fedora sites and i thought i did everything right. maybe someone else has gone through this and can help out. thanks!
P4C800-E dlx â–‘ 3.2e @4ghz â–‘ 9600XT â–‘ 510 deluxe PSU â–‘ danger den â–‘ hyperX
infinitevalence
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by infinitevalence »

i need more info, ie are you using GRUB or LILO to boot, do you see either boot manager when you start your computer or does it just go strate to windows?
"Don't open that! It's an alien planet! Is there air? You don't know!"
eric m.
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by eric m. »

oops. i should have mentioned that. i installed the grub boot loader on my main windows HD. but yeah, it goes right to windows. doesn't give me the option to dual boot when i turn the computer on.

also, when i have the comp boot right from the linux drive, nothing happens. but that's probably because the boot loader is on the other drive.

is there a way to go in and repair my installation or change anything, or do i need to redo the install over again?
P4C800-E dlx â–‘ 3.2e @4ghz â–‘ 9600XT â–‘ 510 deluxe PSU â–‘ danger den â–‘ hyperX
Illuminati
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Illuminati »

Did you install linux first, then windows? or did you install Windows then Linux...

Windows likes to be installed first.... that way when you install Linux, the bootloader (I think Fedora comes with GRUB) will recognize XP and automatically have that as an option. The default windows XP bootloader won't recognize Linux.
Justin West
Server Admin & Forum Moderator
Follow me on Twitter | Find us on Facebook
Illuminati
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Illuminati »

You can try putting the Fedora CD's back and running through the install again to "repair" the bootloader... but I don't know if that will work...

You may have to run through the install all over again... If you do... I always let the bootloader install to whatever the default location is... the only thing I may change is the label for the WindowsXP OS (Default is probably DOS) and then whether you want windows or linux to be the default OS to boot from.
Justin West
Server Admin & Forum Moderator
Follow me on Twitter | Find us on Facebook
infinitevalence
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by infinitevalence »

sounds like you never wrote the the boot loader to the drive. you should have the option of booting off the cdrom and rather than installing you can boot to a terminal.
"Don't open that! It's an alien planet! Is there air? You don't know!"