best FREEWARE firewall

Anything and everything software related that doesn't fit above can go in here!
Patrick97
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

best FREEWARE firewall

Post by Patrick97 »

I have been using ZoneAlarm for a long time but recently I noticed that it got very poor leak test ratings and also very poor rating on MajorGeeks.
I have heard great things about Comodo firewall - has anyone used this or do you have recommendations on other top firewall software [freeware]?
Thank you.
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DMB2000uk »

I have comodo on my laptop, it works pretty good, but as its a fresh install its taking a while to get configured with what I want it to allow access to and what I don't want it to.

Might want to try the search next time as I know of at least one other thread with the same question as yours. :axe:

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)
alister
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Re: best FREEWARE firewall

Post by alister »

I use it on my computer running XP but not the one running Vista because it is not compatible. The new alpha is but I am waiting for it to be released or at least RC before I try it out :)
Dragon_Cooler
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Dragon_Cooler »

Out of all the ones i tried, i think comodo was my favorite. Though i was there was a real way to go in and test it without harming anything.
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

None.

Dont need one. nobody wants into your computer.

Mike

I jsut dont get the firewall thing. If you have a good anti-virus program and a good spyware program, what are the chances some hacker is going to try and infiltrate your system to download all your pron at your slow ass upload speed? lol..seriously.

I can understand if you are doing illegal things and cant have programs calling home and such, but for normal people, the firewall thing is WAY blown out of proportion!
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
alister
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by alister »

KnightRid wrote:None.
I can understand if you are doing illegal things and cant have programs calling home and such, but for normal people, the firewall thing is WAY blown out of proportion!
It does not have anything to do with illegal things there are some programs that I don't want calling home like Acrobat Reader, Quicktime, etc.... What reason do they need to call home everytime that I boot my computer up or run the app. If there is a newer version, I will find out about it and install when I want to and I do not need them to prompt or remind me.

Anti-virus and anti-spy does not catch everything and a firewall can help you catch some of these.
Softix
Legit User
Legit User

Post by Softix »

I have read that Comodo is indeed good firewall although I got some problems on how to install it. Anyway I have also tried zone alarm although it was free but it exhibit great features and you will feel secured with your pc.
Sig removed by the LR Staff
FZ1

Post by FZ1 »

I tired Comodo. I didn't like it...too much like those Mac/PC commercials where the guy keeps asking the PC if he is sure he wants to do that. I still use the now defunct Sygate Personal firewall.
Joe
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DMB2000uk »

I put commodo on my laptop. I put up with it asking for me to check what to do with every single program, every time i booted it up for a while (and clicked allow all each time), till I got sick of it and told it to allow all traffic. >_<

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)