Seph's Large List Of Freeware

Anything and everything software related that doesn't fit above can go in here!
SepheronX
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Seph's Large List Of Freeware

Post by SepheronX »

Alright, what I am doing is providing a list of freeware that I, you, and others may find enjoyable and great to use, compared to the bought counterpart. Now mind you, this is *NOT* being taken from any other site, but I am typing all of this myself. That is right, I like this site enough to be willing to spend time to build something like this. Also, I will be constantly updating this when I get/find more freeware that suit the needs of everyone, or at least should be completely heard.

Why is freeware good?
A: What a questions.... Freeware is good, because it is free, and does the job. Some may say it does not a good job, but it does the job non the less, and does not cost a dime.

Legend:
1. Computer Protection Software
2. Internet And Networking

Now, onto the Freeware (not under alphabetical order)! *Note* To learn what the category top is (ie. Antivirus), click on the title, should open to a wiki.

1. Computer Protection Software

======================================================================================================= =======================================================================================================
Avast - To keep this short, I use this antivirus. It has an amazing detection rate (caught everything I threw at it), fast, and has full on-duty protection of system and outlook/internet email. What makes it great, is it catches the infection before it actually infects the system! Downside to it, is the registration (free, but a hassle) but that should not cause too much problem, and the crappy interface. But the stock interface can be changed to a different skin, to make it much more enjoyable to the eye, and easier to navigate through. A must have antivirus, 5/5 score from me!

AVG - With a 3.5/5 review score on PCgamer, seems not all that bad! With a great ability to create rescue diskette, for emergency's, and on-duty protection with constant updates, also scans through outlook and internet emails. The down side of this, is that the interface feels wonky sometimes, and limited to the ability of adjusting the daily schedule scanning and updating. PCGamer also mentioned that it does not have as good as a detection rate compared to all Antivirus'. But that is probably just their opinion, cause no matter what I throw at it, AVG catches the problem quick! I give this a 4.5/5 for sure.

AntiVir - With a 4/5 stars on Cnet, and my own personal 5/5 rating, makes this a great antivirus. So far, everything I threw at this antivirus (wow, all the pron sites and obvious virus programs), it detected them all and deleted them before even entering my system. Fast, and easy to use on-duty protection AV, should be more then enough for any beginner, or pro.

BitDefender 10 Free - Great antivirus that previrous version (8) got a 95.52% detection rating. So this has a lot of potential as a great free-antivirus. Only major drawback is that it is on-demand protection. So this should only be used as a second scanner, since it has no on-duty protection. I give it a 3.5/5. I would give it a full 5/5, if it had on-duty protection.

PC Tools Antivirus - I have absolute no idea how good this antivirus is. Never got to test it. But it did get a 4/5 score on download.com, from the team, and got a 3/5 score from the people (reviewed by 183 so far). With on-duty protection and supposedly, constant updates but on a slow server. Also, it has a wonky help system, so beginners-be-warned!. Here is the download.com review of it. Wish I could give it a review, but I know so little of this program.
======================================================================================================= =======================================================================================================

Spybot Search & Destroy - A great antispyware, but since the free version, it does not have on-duty protection. But that is fine, since spyware takes a lot to get into the system, if you are not careful. With great detection rate, and fast scanning, how can you go wrong? My score is 5/5.

Spyware Doctor - "This free app includes limited real-time protection--competitors usually hamstring their guards until you upgrade to the paid edition. Here, the On-Guard protection is limited to the File Guard, which says it prevents unsafe e-mail attachments and other malicious files already hiding on your system from being accessed." - quote from download.com. Never got to try it, but with a 4/5 score from there, I cant judge what I have not tried. Worth a look at!

Hijack This - What makes this different from all others, is that it makes you do the work. What it does, is come up with a list of registry or file items that are modified or whatnot, and allows you to check them to see if they should be deleted or not. But be SURE you are sure that what you are deleting/modifying, is indeed malware or hijacked area. Great for not-so beginners, does the job very well for sure! My rating, I give it a 5/5! Note, it IS completely free!

WinPatrol - With tons of functionality, but not exactly free (trial is...........) with the ability to catch adware, keyloggers, spyware, worms, cookies, and other malicious software, makes this a great program. With an easy interface, and tons of functions, makes this a great program. Downfall, it is not completely free. So I can only give this a 4/5.

AVG Anti-spyware Free - With an easy to use interface, and a free on-guard protection for at least 30 days (If I am correct, if I am wrong, just correct me), and fast scanning and high detection rate. With these rich features, makes this one of the best free antispyware I can even comprehend (lawl). I give this a 5/5 for definite sureness!

Ad-Aware 2007 Free - This is another excellent antispyware program. Of course, the free version does not have on-duty protection, but with tons of rich features (able to scan ram, external devices, etc) allows you to make sure you are safe. Now the downside of it, with its updater is running in the background, some word flys around thinking that itself, is spyware. But so far, it does not infect anything, so what can I say? Great program to run as an additional antispyware for sure! I give this a 4.5/5 for sure!

Spyware Blaster - This is one amazing program! What it does, is does not scan to remove already infected spyware, but to protect your computer from obtaining spyware. Prevents installation of ActiveX-based spyware, adware, dialers, browser hijackers, and other potentially unwanted programs. It does have an easy to use interface, but its tabbed system may annoy some people. Also, this nifty little program will create a snapshot of your system, so if anything bad REALLY happens, you can revert back to that snapshot. I definitely give this a 5/5, a must have!
Zone Alarm - If not, the most popular of them all free firewalls. I have to agree, it is a good firewall, with a great interface, and easy to use system of adjusting the protection level, makes this ideal for pretty much anyone. Downside to this program, I see, is the annoying constant pop ups of allow or dis-allow of a program to access the internet. While this is good for some, this is just annoying to me :P. Oh, also, it is completely free!. I give this a 5/5, it seems Cnet gave it the same score!

PC Tools Firewall - I don't know much about this one, other then it was suggested by alister. From the understanding that was brought to me, this free firewall will work both on Vista and 2003. This should be more then enough to any individual who wants something to protect them on vista ;). Can't really rate something I have not touched, but it seems like it is a worth download for sure.

Comodo - Another recommended by both PC Gamer and alister, making this obviously ideal (obviously :P). I trust when both PCGamer and someone with quite the credability such as Alister vouches for this firewall, then it must be good. So I put it under recommended. Oh, and it is completely free. Unfortunatly, there is no current Vista support. Just to note, I have not herd of this firewall before, so with lack of testing, or knowledge for that matter behind this firewall, I cannot vouch for it, but I still add it to recommended if others (professionals if you may) nod their heads to this. So do not hesitate to download!
Last edited by SepheronX on Thu Oct 11, 2007 1:38 pm, edited 9 times in total.
SepheronX
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Re: All About Free Software ~Seph Style~

Post by SepheronX »

2. Internet And Networking
Net Vampire - Free, easy to use download manager. With a simple drag and drop system, and also determins what site to download the object the fastest, makes this ideal for just about anybody. Great little program, and if you are tired of your basic download manager, then pick up this one today. I tested it for a bit, and it seemed pretty good. I give this a 4/5. Things were easy to use, and were quick to download. But since it has no support for vista, or no info on any support, then this may become outdated real quick.

LeechGet - Fast! It also has a built in FTP browser and a website parser! The thing is, it may have a difficult to use interface as some people would say, but I never found it a problem, or it may be riddled with bugs, but once again, never found any. This is another Ideal system to use, and should have a vista support either here, or coming. 5/5 from me for sure!

Fresh Download - From the creators of Fresh Diagnostics, this program is a fast and easy to use with Firefox. Great little program, and not much else to say, since it is like most other download managers :P. 5/5 from me.

Note* I tried many other download managers, but ran into constant spyware and or other crap, that made them un-worthwhile to post up here.
MSN Messenger - Most popular and probably most used IM program. Connects to your hotmail/msn account and allows you to chat to your friends/family that are on your buddy list. I found msn messenger easy to use and what not, but plenty of holes in the system ready for hackers and or viruses to get through and into your system. But other then that, it is mainly common sence! 4.5/5.

Yahoo Messenger - Like MSN messenger, yahoo messenger allows you to connect and talk to your friends/family whom are also connected through yahoo. Yahoo messenger in the past was known for bugs that were pretty harmful to the actual user system, but has pretty much been worked on to the point that it is another good alternative to msn. 4.5/5.

AIM - Since I am not American, I do not care for AIM, as it is highly limited, even if it allows you to connect from other countrys. AIM though, is an easy to use program like yahoo and msn, and it is pretty safe too, I guess. Not much for me to say, but yeah, if you have a AIM account, then I guess get this. ?/5

Trillian - An amazing IM program, that allows you to connected to pretty much every other IM program out there. I am able to connect to my MSN, Yahoo, and AIM friends and talk to them, all through the same program at the same time. What does not help this, is it does require a learning curve in order to play with it, and it also can shut down on its own quite often. Also, it may not be completely compatible with everything through MSN and Yahoo or whatnot, for instance, the plug-ins and add ons your friends may have, and try to use with you, will most likely not work. But this is an ideal IM system that should be used more often :).

Google Talk - This one is the best out of AIM, MSN, and Yahoo, but started too late in the field, and not many people use it as a IM program. So If you have friends, family that uses this, then go ahead and go with this, but don't expect too many people to jump onto this program. 4.5/5 (with lack of popularity).

Pidgen - Like Trillian, this pretty much connects to everyone. From MSN all the way to ICQ. Easy to use, and lots of abilitys, making this another ideal program. But also requires some learning curve to use, but not as bad as trillian in terms of friendly use. I give this one a 5/5 for sure, and should be in every household.

ICQ -

mIRC -

Mozilla Firefox - Probably, if not, the most popular web browser out there. But, believe it or not, there ARE people who have never herd of this browser, and still run Internet explorer (OMGWTFBBQ!). With built in adware scanners, makes this ideal when being on the net, and wanting some sort of safety! Although, for me, it does not fully protect. Fast, easy to use, and looks great (also, HUGE community with tons of useful and useless plugins!), makes this worth the 5/5! Also to add, this has a spell checker, so it makes me look less stupid!

Maxthon - Another free web browser, although, this one may be free, but the interface seems to piss me off. I dunno about others, but I hate it, and trying to deal with it. But it is not bad, and it is very much like IE 7, but with more safety. Great browser with tons of features, but crappy interface (opinionated of course). 4/5

Opera - Next to firefox, this is also another AMAZING web browser. With a great interface, easy to use system, AND fast, real fast, makes this ideal. What also is awesome and worth it, is the hide speed dial system. When you start a new tab, instead of opening up to nothing or blank page, it opens up to these options of sites the user saved, for quick and easy access. With also scanners attached for safety, who can go wrong when looking at naughty things? Great browser for sure! 5/5.

Safari - Apples well known web browser for the OSX operating system, has come to windows as a beta version. What makes this interesting, is the glossy interface, and pretty easy to use system (pretty identical to IE). What hurts this, is that it felt slow to me, and it is supposedly riddled with bugs, and I have noticed some (some things just would not load properly with the browser, but did with others). Not much else, but it is nothing spectacular, so it is all up to the individual if they want to use it or not. OH, be warned, there is no integrated protection, so if you are like me, and look at naughty stuff, be warned!. 3.5/5

Flock - Built on the Mozilla firefox engine, makes this another super awesome web browser. What separates it from Firefox? well, it does not have the cool spell checker, but it does have a user friendly photo/blog system, so you can share photos with others around the web easier. Great idea, no doubt!. Since I gave firefox a 5/5, I cannot see myself giving this any lower. So 5/5!

Netscape 9.0 RC1 - Well, everyone basically knows what netscape is. And it was not very popular from the past. But now, it is not a bad browser, but I know very little of it. So I cannot say I recommend it or not. But give it a try, might make you happy, or wont...... ?/5

SeaMonkey - A corporate web browser, completely free, and built off of the mozilla engine. With a html editor, Newsgroup system, advanced email system, and the security and stability of firefox, makes this another amazing browser. Get it if you do not have firefox or flock!

Filezilla - A great, fast and easy to use File transfer protocol. I used this a ton while back, before my site closed down due to a back stabber *cough*skymtl*cough*. Anyway, great program, never caused any hiccups or issues when trasnfering data to the net. 5/5

Blazeftp - Like filezilla, works pretty much identical, except you can make multiple connections due to its tab system. 5/5

SmartFTP - Another great FTP client, fast, and easy to use like filezilla. Only major downfall to this program, is the fact that it pesters the users to purchase the pro version, if you are corporate. It does not mean that you have too, but being pestered into doing anything, is usually a major un-attraction to anything. So I cannot give it a 5/5, but a 4/5 will suffice.

CoffeeCup - Another half decent FTP program, only major downside to it, is that it has tons of ad banners. If you can endure the amount of monstrous ads, then maybe, just maybe, you will find this FTP program to be quite useable. But compared to Filezilla, I just cant recommend this product over it. 3.5/5. This would be more acceptable, if it was not ad driven.

FreshFTP - From the creators of Fresh Download and Fresh Diagnostics, comes another great, free program. Although, never got to test it yet, but judging on the pics, it looks like a simple interface, with tons of possibilities of downloading and uploading multiple crap to/from a site. Will give it a shot later on. Only pest to this program, is with all fresh programs, it requires registration, even if it is free.
*Note: This is not in any way, a place to talk about illegal downloading. When you are in a country that finds downloading some things illegal, then do not bother with it (I am safe in Canada ;) ). So do not take this as any way as promoting illegal downloading. OBEY THE LAW!

uTorrent - uTorrent, is next to the best imo. I use it currently! You are capable of creating your own torrents also, monitor exactly everything you are downloading and from who. Simple to use interface, with a very small, basic coding. What makes this ideal, is that it does NOT eat up so much resources from the system like other identical torrent programs. 5/5 from me! Easy to use, heck, thats my cup-o-tea!

Azureus - Another great free torrent application, and with a unique offset, the Vuze protical. This will allow you to simply obtain hi-def videos and or games and what not. No, not illegal either, you have to pay for most of the content first, but it directly downloads to your system, through high speeds. Although, this feature should be left out, as it is not too important to some, many others may find this useful. I give this a 4.5/5, simply because the Vuze was annoying to work with imo, and it was not needed, but since Azureus is another fast and easy to use Torrent program, it deserves a 5.

Bitlord - Once again, with most other torrent programs, this is another fast, easy to use torrent program. Although, the quick launch buttons on the screen kind of bother me (annoying) and with the XXX chat, kind of tempting to click it, but better judgment from me prevents me of clicking it (hehehe). This program is pretty small too, and does not eat up too many resources either, so this is another ideal program to use if you want to get a hold of those torrent programs. 5/5
Last edited by SepheronX on Mon Oct 22, 2007 6:44 pm, edited 20 times in total.
SepheronX
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by SepheronX »

reserved
SepheronX
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by SepheronX »

reserved
SepheronX
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by SepheronX »

reserved
SepheronX
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by SepheronX »

reserved
SepheronX
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by SepheronX »

reserved
SepheronX
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by SepheronX »

reserved
ibleet
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by ibleet »

Ummmmm......WHAT?
SepheronX
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by SepheronX »

I am doing a big thing on all free software, something to use then opposed to payed software.

The quote system is just an easier way for me to make things a tad bit cleaner. It was taking me a long time to do this.

What I am hoping to get out of this, is a simple way for people and beginners to find what they need when they first get their system up and running.

you would think, it would be much more self explanitory if you read the actual thread.....

Edit: I changed the setup look.

Also, could an admin here change the name to: Seph's Large List Of Freeware

Thanks.
alister
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by alister »

What's up with all of the reserved posts??

Here is a firewall to add to your list

Comodo Firewall - It is free and got PC Magazine Online's Editor's Choice
ibleet
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by ibleet »

SepheronX wrote: you would think, it would be much more self explanitory if you read the actual thread.....
I DID read the actual thread. I too was wondering why all the reserved posts for a topic has already been covered on this forum. Try a search or just look down a few threads. :mrgreen:
SepheronX
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by SepheronX »

Oh it has? Sorry. OK then, I guess admin can delete it?

Thanks.....

Edit: I was just trying to make use of my skills or just make myself usefull, to try and help. Also, all the reserved spots were for different sections (1 being the first one, computer protection, 2 would be the, lets say, video and audio stuff) and that in the legend, the person just clicked on were they wanted to go look at the section, and bam, they get to it. Opposed to searching through a list.
alister
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by alister »

I think that there should be a sticky post with these free apps because there is no sticky post telling about free security software (ie: AV, Firewall, etc...).

Here is another free Firewall:

PC Tools Firewall Plus - this one is Vista and 2003 compatible
ibleet
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by ibleet »

If I remember correctly, there IS a sticky on this exact topic somewhere...or at least there was at one time...now to just find it.
alister
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by alister »

Is this the thread that you were talking about

http://forums.legitreviews.com/about7506.html

It is not a sticky though :(
dicecca112
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Seph's Large List Of Freeware

Post by dicecca112 »

Also, could an admin here change the name to: Seph's Large List Of Freeware
Done

If you want to take the suggestions there, and keep adding to this, I may see fit to sticky it. :)
SepheronX
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by SepheronX »

I will continue with it. Thanks admin!
alister
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by alister »

I see that you added my post for PC Tools Firewall, but did you see my other post about Comodo :)

I usually use Comodo but it is not Vista compatible yet. I tried the PC Tools Firewall yesterday and had to remove it because whenever I inserted a Sprint aircard, it would lock the computer up....
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DMB2000uk »

SepheronX wrote:I will continue with it. Thanks admin!
The guide looks promising, keep up the effort.

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)