PHPbb Worm Hits 38,000 forums today!

Anything and everything software related that doesn't fit above can go in here!
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

PHPbb Worm Hits 38,000 forums today!

Post by Apoptosis »

A virus that infects PHPbb forums hit over 38,000 sites today. Yes, Legit Reviews uses PHPbb and was using version 2.0.10 today. We lucked out and didn't get hit with the virus. I updated to version 2.0.11 and all should be good for now.
A new worm is playing havoc with certain Web sites by exploiting a security hole in PHPbb, a popular program used to create Internet forums, several security firms warned Tuesday.

Russian-based Kaspersky Lab was among the first to report sightings of Net.Worm.Perl.Santy-A, labeling it a severe risk. According to the firm, Santy-A is spreading rapidly. "However, this does not directly affect end users," the firm said in a statement. "Although the worm infects Web sites, it does not infect computers used to view these sites."
Sounds like someone had some late night fun! Look at how fast this worm is spreading..
Reston, Va.-based iDefense reiterated that advice and reported more than 38,000 sites had been compromised since this morning. Ken Dunham, the company's director of malicious code, said the worm may be exploiting a recent SQL injection vulnerability for phpBB 2.0.10 reported on Nov. 29. "If that is the case, this worm was rapidly authored and deployed, just a few weeks following the vulnerability announcement," he said in a prepared statement.
Read the article here for more information. It's 1am LR is now patched and I am off to bed again. :drinkers:
Bio-Hazard
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Bio-Hazard »

There have been several sites that I go to everyday that have been hit in the past few days. They need to catch these guys that write this crap and cut their PARTS off.......... :evil:
infinitevalence
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by infinitevalence »

I am all in favor of bringing back crule and unusual forms of punishment, like caning, stocks, ect.. no more nice comfortable prisions make them suck like a third world where you have 25 people chained to one bench for weeks at a time, then virus writers would start having second thoughts.
"Don't open that! It's an alien planet! Is there air? You don't know!"