Beware Of Norton 3 Use License SCAM!

Anything and everything software related that doesn't fit above can go in here!
Sparky
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Beware Of Norton 3 Use License SCAM!

Post by Sparky »

Beware of Norton AntiVirus retail packs with '3 User License'. I went to install my 3rd license last night on my Mom's PC and it only showed 43 days remaining. I contacted Symantec support only to be told that all 3 licenses start on the day you install the first one! WHAT?? How big a scam is this? According to Symantec is spells it out in the EULA. Too bad I can't find it on the box so you're pretty much hosed after you open the box and try to install it. So long story short, I've got a 3 user license that is totally worthless. Thought I was being a smart consumer buying a multi license at a good price. Shame on you Symantec!!
MSI Meg X570 Unify | Ryzen 3900X | Noctuna NH-U12A | G.Skill RipJaws DDR4 3600 16GB | Samsung 970 Pro 512GB M.2 NVMe | (2) WD Blue 3TB Backups | MSI 2060 Super Gaming X | Meshify - C | SB X-Fi
allenpan
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Re: Beware Of Norton 3 Use License SCAM!

Post by allenpan »

yea that full of ****, if u buy multiple-license it should be active indivisially not all @ same time./...what an ass. but again, i paid the enterprise edition which cost me 5k, but it never expire and it has 10 user license...it is worth my money so far, since it does not "really" check for license, meaning if i do have a centrol SAV virus host and all my computers connected to this antivirus server it see as 1 license, and i have 32 PCs @ home all of them access some antivirus server for updates...i still have 8 or 9 empty license left
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DMB2000uk »

allenpan wrote:yea that full of ****, if u buy multiple-license it should be active indivisially not all @ same time./...what an ass. but again, i paid the enterprise edition which cost me 5k, but it never expire and it has 10 user license...it is worth my money so far, since it does not "really" check for license, meaning if i do have a centrol SAV virus host and all my computers connected to this antivirus server it see as 1 license, and i have 32 PCs @ home all of them access some antivirus server for updates...i still have 8 or 9 empty license left
32 PCs at home?!?! What do they all do?

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)
dicecca112
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by dicecca112 »

and why aren't you folding with them
allenpan
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by allenpan »

well, my dad is software engineer and i am electrical, each pc has its own purpose, and our electric bill is already over the roof...
Darkstar
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Darkstar »

allenpan wrote:well, my dad is software engineer and i am electrical, each pc has its own purpose, and our electric bill is already over the roof...
lol, so what do you have to lose? Fold on!!!!

:drinkers:
Phenom II 1075T,Phenom II 1090T,Intel i7 870
Gigabyte 890XA-UD3
Evga GTX460
8 GB Corsair
Agility2 120GB SSD
Dual 24" Samsungs LCD's
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

Sparky wrote:Beware of Norton AntiVirus retail packs with '3 User License'. I went to install my 3rd license last night on my Mom's PC and it only showed 43 days remaining. I contacted Symantec support only to be told that all 3 licenses start on the day you install the first one! WHAT?? How big a scam is this? According to Symantec is spells it out in the EULA. Too bad I can't find it on the box so you're pretty much hosed after you open the box and try to install it. So long story short, I've got a 3 user license that is totally worthless. Thought I was being a smart consumer buying a multi license at a good price. Shame on you Symantec!!
I have many 1 year multi-user license programs at work, all of witch start when the first install happens. It's meant to be put on the number of systems at the same time. My Symantec license is for 96, but I only currently use 90 of them. So the other 6 are head room for new employees. If I hit the limit I go buy an off the shelf copy to fill the gap until the license renewal and then get the next block of licenses.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
-Thomas Jefferson
Sparky
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Sparky »

Yeah, live and learn. Oh well. Only makes me like AVG that much more!
MSI Meg X570 Unify | Ryzen 3900X | Noctuna NH-U12A | G.Skill RipJaws DDR4 3600 16GB | Samsung 970 Pro 512GB M.2 NVMe | (2) WD Blue 3TB Backups | MSI 2060 Super Gaming X | Meshify - C | SB X-Fi
pawpaw53
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by pawpaw53 »

:) I agree with Sparky on AVG. It can't be beat in my book ; as far as a free program is concerned.
hnzw_rui
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by hnzw_rui »

Dunno if it was my Vista laptop with the problem but AVG was unable to clean all virii on a 3.5" HDD connected via an IDE to USB adapter. Plugged HDD to work PC (WinXP) and Symantec Enterprise edition had no problems cleaning the HDD. A second scan with AVG on the Vista laptop proclaimed the HDD squeaky clean.

Still sticking to AVG, though. Symantec Anti-Virus is expensive. I'm relatively careful about the sites I visit, anyway. :D

*Disclaimer: It was not my hard drive that was infested with malware. It belongs to a friend.
File Server/Media Encoder/PVR PC
Antec P182 / Corsair 550VX / Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R / Core 2 Duo E7200 @ 2.53 / Wintec AMPX 2x2GB DDR2 800 / Sapphire 100233L Radeon HD 3450 / WD Caviar SE16 750GB x3 / WD Caviar GP 750GB / Sony NEC Optiarc AD-7190A x2 / XP Pro SP2

unRAID Server
Antec 300 / Corsair 520HX / Abit AB9 Pro / Celeron 430 @ 1.80 / Kingston ValueRAM 2x1GB DDR2 667 / ATI Rage XL / Seagate 7200.11 1.5TB x9 / unRAID 4.3.3