erase hard disk drive

Anything and everything software related that doesn't fit above can go in here!
Patrick97
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

erase hard disk drive

Post by Patrick97 »

Hi know that even when you format a computers hard drive, there are still traces of data that are left.
I have downloaded the HDDLowLevelFormatTool. I have not used it but I reckon it would securely erase all data from a hard drive. Does anyone else know of any other program that would do a better job?

Thanks.
Microsoft Windows XP Professional
2.40 gigahertz Intel Core 2 Duo
2 GB of RAM
NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GT (256 MB) Video Card
500 GB HDD
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: erase hard disk drive

Post by kenc51 »

Patrick97 wrote:Hi know that even when you format a computers hard drive, there are still traces of data that are left.
I have downloaded the HDDLowLevelFormatTool. I have not used it but I reckon it would securely erase all data from a hard drive. Does anyone else know of any other program that would do a better job?

Thanks.
Just get the software from your HDD manufacturer, most have a bootable CD image which can do a low level format (write zeros to the drive)
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

google "boot and nuke" its a nice little program that you can boot to and will do multiple D.O.D. low level formats.

Couple things to remember when formating.

FIRST back up the important stuff, just in case.

NEVER do it when you think there could be a chance the power will go off, if it does in the middle of a format the drive is now a brick. Its best to have the machine hooked to a battery backup unit when formating.

Also when using boot disks to wipe drives, only have the drive(s) you want formated hooked up. More than once I have seen (and done myself) formated the wrong drive from a boot disk. This is why the first step is to back up the important stuff.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
-Thomas Jefferson
Darkstar
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Darkstar »

boot and nuke is what i use http://dban.sourceforge.net/

its also on the UBCD

:drinkers:
Phenom II 1075T,Phenom II 1090T,Intel i7 870
Gigabyte 890XA-UD3
Evga GTX460
8 GB Corsair
Agility2 120GB SSD
Dual 24" Samsungs LCD's
Softix
Legit User
Legit User

Post by Softix »

I have been using data eraser ever since whenever am formating my hard disc drive http://www.heidi.ie/eraser/
Sig removed by the LR Staff