Google Code Launched

Anything and everything software related that doesn't fit above can go in here!
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Google Code Launched

Post by Apoptosis »

Google has launched Google Code! The site says it is “Googles place for open source software”. There is a bunch of links to several open source projects, Google API information, and the site will have weekly featured projects as well and they are giving away free swag.

One thing we really wanted to put up on Google Code was a way of bringing recognition to those people and groups who have created programs that use our APIs or the code we have released. If you have one that you'd like to nominate, let us know. We're going to feature a new one every week or so
http://code.google.com/
Illuminati
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Illuminati »

I noticed this last night... I'm going to try and look more into what Google is offering here. I must say that Google has definitely caught my attention with this announcement! Google's has been becoming more and more of a (web-based) software giant than just a search engine, and I'm more than interested to find out where they will be going in the future! Articles like this one always seem to catch my interest!
Justin West
Server Admin & Forum Moderator
Follow me on Twitter | Find us on Facebook
infinitevalence
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by infinitevalence »

I only hope this does not take biz away from sourceforge.net
"Don't open that! It's an alien planet! Is there air? You don't know!"
Illuminati
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Illuminati »

I also hope sourceforge does not get hurt by this... and I will look more into it when I get home, but I'm guessing that the only users who will use google's code spot would be those that use code released by google and who use google's API... so I'm guessing it sounds more "google-related" than an all purpose open source listing - in its current form, that is.

As I said, I'll spend a little time on it tonight to see what I come up with.
Justin West
Illuminati
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Illuminati »

Well, I did come straight home from work and go to code.google.com... and found out my initial thoughts were correct. Code.google.com is pretty much just dedicated to giving a list of opensource projects out on the web that use some of google's released code in some way. The featured projects google is sponsoring are actually all currently hosted at Sourceforge! So, code.google.com is not a replacement for sourceforge, but rather using sourceforge to host their sponsored projects. The FAQ at code.google.com has some more interesting info, but here's a blurb about the association with sourceforge:
Why are you releasing code through Sourceforge?
Well, because they were nice enough to oblige, and because developers here like Sourceforge. Future homes for new projects might include Tigris.org or language specific sites like the Vaults of Parnassus and CPAN.
Justin West
infinitevalence
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by infinitevalence »

Thats good news, sorceforge has been there for my for a very long time and i would hate to see something like that go to corporate, not that i think it would be in danger of that through google. They seem to have their heads in the right place.
"Don't open that! It's an alien planet! Is there air? You don't know!"
Illuminati
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Illuminati »

I also just noticed something very funny about this situation... Sourceforge's site search is powered by Yahoo!... lol
Justin West