AVG or Avast?

Anything and everything software related that doesn't fit above can go in here!
InsolenceAndHeresy
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by InsolenceAndHeresy »

I'm gonna be the minority here and say Avast. I used to have AVG and it was a pain to keep updated and stuff. I've been using Avast! for two years (just had my second free license refresh as a matter of fact) and it's enver let me down. Before I was computer saavy and had SiteAdvisor, I stumbled upon to many a site that looked legitimate when in fact it wasn't. Avast passively monitors your web traffic and catches any malware code it might send through. There's three scanning modes, great heuristics, and all the shiz. I <3 Avast!.
tnynyn
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by tnynyn »

nod32 for me, but i might be changing to kaspersky from that overclockers article a few post up. :)
500w Fortron Blue Storm - DFI NF4-D (SLI & SATAII modded) - Opteron 165 @ 290x9 1.35v - 1 GB OCZ Value VX 3200 2-3-3-8 @ 230mhz - 2x 80gb Seagate SATA on Raid 0 - eVGA 8800GTS
pas44141
Legit User
Legit User

Post by pas44141 »

used AVG for a year+ without worry..
rocktrout
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by rocktrout »

I've been running Kaspersky since I installed Vista 64 and I'm pretty impressed. In the past I've used AVG, Norton and McAfee and Kaspersky seems to run with less resources than the others. I also like the ability to customize what I want to scan. IE files, web, e-mail, etc.

The scanner has picked up a number of items on some of my old drives that the previous scanners failed to pickup.

After my trial runs out in another 10 or so days, I'm going to go ahead and purchase this product.
sbohdan
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by sbohdan »

I know you haven't listed it as a choice but kaspersky is the best it is worth the money you spend and you get a free 1 month trial here: ftp://dnl-us3.kaspersky-labs.com/trial/ ... .614en.exe
Main rig: NZXT Phantom modded case with Danger Den WC, Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite, Ryzen 5800X @ stock, 32GB Patriot Viper DDR4 3200Mhz 16-18-18-36-1T, AMD RX 5700XT + AlphaCool WC, ACER Nitro XV2 27", SP 1TB nvme PCiE GEN3, Samsung 2TB; Cooler Master MW Gold 650W, Win10 Pro 64
my complete GFX tuneup & cooling mod: http://forums.legitreviews.com/viewtopi ... highlight=
Zoogle
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by Zoogle »

I"ve used Avast before and found it to be a little too clunky. It took too long to startup (almost as bad as McAfee). Plus the tray icon was a bit annoying.

I use AVG and am pretty satisfied. That being said, I have never gotten a virus so I cannot really say that one is better than the other in the important task of virus scanning.

For a firewall, I use Proventia(blackice) and a Dreamcast running Smoothwall.
Gamble
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by Gamble »

I say stay away from ZoneAlarm! My dad has it installed on his computer, and it is completely unstable. We ended up reformatting the hard drive after the first and second installs, why he keeps putting it back on I do not know.

I run Symantec Antivirus, (free thru university) and it's real-time scan seems to catch anything that even attempts to get on my hard drive. I love it.
Once a gamer,
Always a gamer.
Rock on.
-Gamble
Nobahar
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Nobahar »

I think kaspersky is the best now, but really all I want is a free viruscan to replace avg free.
dkarko
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by dkarko »

I'm using avast home now. I had tries avg and kaspersky before..
Kaspersky caused me lots of problems to uninstall.. in fact it messed everything up.. i had to reformat. I kinda like avast, but with most features turned off ( i felt it was crawling my computer...).
I prefered to make a limited account to work on with a moderate light antivirus. It works well for a year+ now. Everything is clean
brites
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by brites »

I use avast and spf... very pelased with them....
AVAST never let any virus or other :toimonster: sucker get into my System
SPF works really good after some manuall ports works it blocks all attacks... at least is what the several securities tests I've made inform :finga:
alister
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by alister »

I have ditched Symantec also and I am now using Avast! and Comodo for firewall. Comodo has an AV also, I have not tried it because I am waiting for version 2 to come out of beta.
ibleet
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by ibleet »

I first ditched Norton, then I ditched McAfee. Both were clunky, using entirely too many resources.

Im now using AntiVir and it seems to work pretty well. I got a free subscription to Kaspersky with my crosshair mobo, so Im gonna give that a try once I switch from MCE to just XP Pro...for some reason MCE isnt supported and it wont install.

I havent tried Avast but a friend of mine likes it.

Every now and then, just to get another opinion, I run the free scans on the net. Kaspersky has a very nice free scan for virus', and AVG has an awesome free online scan for spyware / malware.

I also keep Adaware SE personal loaded and run that weekly. All in all, that regimen keeps me smiling!
Sparky
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: AVG or Avast?

Post by Sparky »

I've used Avast for a couple of years but never had to remove anything manually. Whatever it finds malicious it simply isolates to the virus chest as far as I can tell. I believe it does this in the event it's a file you need to retrieve.
MSI Meg X570 Unify | Ryzen 3900X | Noctuna NH-U12A | G.Skill RipJaws DDR4 3600 16GB | Samsung 970 Pro 512GB M.2 NVMe | (2) WD Blue 3TB Backups | MSI 2060 Super Gaming X | Meshify - C | SB X-Fi