friend needs help

Anything and everything software related that doesn't fit above can go in here!
goodguy
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

friend needs help

Post by goodguy » Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:16 pm

Hi. Can anyone advise me on a good disc back up program.

At the moment i have acronis home 10, which i used to create a disc image, size was almost 4 gig.

But when i used the back up everything slowed down. The second time the pc used to freeze randomly and

became unstable. So i reinstalled windows. And my gigabyte mobo came with xpress recovery 2 which i have

used to create another back up, not sure but i didn't have anything else at hand, tried google to find anyone

who has used xpress recovery 2 but no luck. Can't be that good if there is no feedback on it.

Also tried partition magic, my hdd is 320gig but only using about 4 gig as it is a fresh install, and it wanted 320 gig to create a copy. Any advice?

Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: friend needs help

Post by Apoptosis » Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:59 pm

odd I use Acronis for everything and it usually does okay. That is all i have used for a couple years, so someone else might have a better answer.
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!

stopthekilling77
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by stopthekilling77 » Thu Nov 05, 2009 5:01 pm

Are you certain all your hardware is working properly? I'd run memtest, a HDD manufacturer drive test, and a CPU burn-in stress test to verify you don't have a hardware problem. Testing your power supply is also a good idea here just to be safe.
MSI 970A-G43
AMD Phenom II X4 965BE @ 3.5 GHz
10 GB DDR3 1333 CAS-7
GeForce GTX 650 Ti OC 2GB
2TB Seagate HDD, 1TB WD HDD for backups,
Antec P-180B, Antec 450W PSU
ASUS 27" LED LCD Monitor
someday I will get a real GPU and some SSD's... :goodman:

goodguy
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by goodguy » Fri Nov 06, 2009 4:02 am

Hi. Do you think it might be a good idea to make the disc image using acronis, then apply from a second hdd. What i mean is i have

2 hdd with windows installed. If i wanted to reinstall the image (sorry don't knw if reinstall is the right word) i could wipe the first hdd, then boot off the second

hdd, use acronis installed on the second hdd and apply the back up image it onto the first hdd. Hope that makes some sense.

As at the moment acronis may not be wiping/formatting the old information off before reinstalling the image, or do you think there

is some setting in acronis i am overloooking. Thanks!

Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis » Fri Nov 06, 2009 7:22 am

goodguy wrote:Hi. Do you think it might be a good idea to make the disc image using acronis, then apply from a second hdd. What i mean is i have

2 hdd with windows installed. If i wanted to reinstall the image (sorry don't knw if reinstall is the right word) i could wipe the first hdd, then boot off the second

hdd, use acronis installed on the second hdd and apply the back up image it onto the first hdd. Hope that makes some sense.

As at the moment acronis may not be wiping/formatting the old information off before reinstalling the image, or do you think there

is some setting in acronis i am overloooking. Thanks!
I always back up to a second hard drive, then do a full format on the first and go back to my backup image.
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!