XP SP2 delayed until July

Anything and everything software related that doesn't fit above can go in here!
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

XP SP2 delayed until July

Post by Apoptosis »

THE WINDOWS XP SP2 RC2 is delayed, linked to a fault with NX CPU execution protection. Web site Neowin has confirmed that RC2 isn't likely to be released to beta testers until next week.

2138 is the latest internal compile, but is yet to be slapped with the RC2 tag. This suggests that the 2139/2140 will probably be the RC2 build and is likely to ship to testers in a weeks time at most. At first, Microsoft were pressing for a June release date for the service pack, but bugs, delays and the typical development downsides got to them, and have delayed the release until July.

The Longhorn project has pretty much come to a halt, since the build team are focusing on getting the XP SP2 up and running as quickly as possible.
From The Inq.
Original Neowin Article
infinitevalence
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by infinitevalence »

Looks like were going to be stuck with XP for a while. Not that i mind all that much its the best Windows i have ever used. but then thtats not saying much as it will likly be the last version of windows i ever use. when longhorn does come out i think im going all linux.
"Don't open that! It's an alien planet! Is there air? You don't know!"
Bio-Hazard
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Bio-Hazard »

I read that this morning...........I got all ready for RC2 and it wasn't posted............. 8) I did a clean install of windows and everything..........well, maybe next week........... :x
Immortal

Post by Immortal »

Windows XP is one of the best OS'es MS have ever made, truly, it has the speed of NT and 2000 aswell as the compatibility of Windows 98.

I think i may change back to XP real soon... Windows 2003 is having a few headaches.... it doesnt like some of my hardware and software....
wuzy
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by wuzy »

Same here, downloaded Catalyst 4.5 and ForceWare 4.24 while waiting for RC2 to come out. I even waited till 4AM and still it didn't come out! :evil:
Bio-Hazard
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Bio-Hazard »

Still no Windows XP SP2 RC2 yet. They did release Build 2142 late last night. I'm running it now and it's a lot more stable than Build 2120 (had a lot of problems with that 1). I don't know if it's out on the tech site yet or not, I got mine from the Beta Test site............ 8)
Yair
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by Yair »

they added some great things for IE such as no more popups outside of the screen area or with removed tool bars
but they could go farther and add options to disable right click blocking and certain keys, disable changing the color of the scrolling bar and prevent hiding a URL in the status bar when you mouse over a link
the user should be able to decide how he want to surf, it's not the website's decision :evil: