If I ever get my new puter going, thinking Mozilla but...

Anything and everything software related that doesn't fit above can go in here!
sbjlsmtj
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

If I ever get my new puter going, thinking Mozilla but...

Post by sbjlsmtj »

I have a few questions about mozilla. Is it alot better than EI? Will it affect anything on my computer like automatic updates or anything that needs to connect to the web automatically? What do I do with EI if I download Mozilla? Isn't EI imbedded into windows? Will it affect any port settings that are used now or anything basically that will have to be changed? Thanks for any imput.
NZXT Tempest Case with Ultra X3 1000w PS...............Velociraptor 300gb HD
Intel Core i7 920......................................................12 gb Corsair DDR-3 1333 Dominator Ram
Asus P6T Deluxe MB..................................................Asetek CPU Liquid Cooling
EVGA GTX295 Video..................................................Vista Home Prem 64
40" Toshiba Monitor
infinitevalence
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by infinitevalence »

Moz is much better than IE IMO, yes you have to still have IE because its part of the OS, and you need it for windows updates, and some bank sites. But other than that just leave it where it is and use Moz only... thats what i do.
"Don't open that! It's an alien planet! Is there air? You don't know!"
TheGeekMistress
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by TheGeekMistress »

i too like and use Firfox over IE. i noticed yesterday while downloading the new 6.3 ATI drivers that my download speed was peaking around 1300kb/s and the lowest it came down to was 900Kb/s. when i use any other browser it downloads according to my max broadband connection speed of 6mb/s. when i run net speed tests best i get is 6200kb/s which is right on with my comcast account.

but 1300kb/s would require a 13mb/s, which i don't have. so i think that FireFox has a compression alogorthm that just screams for downloads.

TGM
+ DFI LanParty-UT NF3 250GB skt754
+ Bios Rev. TMOD's 06/23/2005
+ A64 Newark Mobile 4000+ @ 5000+ (9x341) 3070mhz | Idle 30C Load 39C
+ Asetek Waterchill BIX Dual
+ 2x512 G.Skill 1GBLA TCCD @ DDR512 (CPUz 256mhz 2.0-3-3-6-1T)
+ XFX 7800GS OC'd to 460/1500
+ SATA150 2x WD360Raptors NVRaid RAID-0
+ 21" Hitachi CRT
+ Cooler Master CMStacker case
+ Enermax EG651P-VE(FMA)
Fogey
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by Fogey »

I've used Firefox-IE-Netscape-Maxthon-Mozilla and am now trying Opera
Used Firefox for last year now. Before that Mozilla, then before that, Netscape. Firefox/Netscape/Mozilla are allmost the same and would be good choices. For the last week, I've been giving Opera a serious workout and so far like it a lot. Theres a lot more to learn about it features, than say with Firefox. Infinitevalence has it right in my book, I only use IE for updates or for pages that will not work on anything other than IE. So far with Opera, I'm not having that problem as you can set Opera to look/behave like Firefox or IE. With my results so far with Opera, I'll be un installing Firefox in the near future.

Firefox is your choice if your looking just for a stand alone browser. As for Maxthon, :no: I didn't care for that one at all.

I use Thunderbird for my stand alone E-Mail program. The bundled ones with Netscape-Mozilla-Opera are annoying at times, hence my preference towards a stand alone E-Mail program other than the one MS builds in!

"Is it alot better than EI?"- User preference mostly
"Will it affect anything on my computer like automatic updates or anything that needs to connect to the web automatically?"- No
"What do I do with EI if I download Mozilla?"-Nothing, leave it be
"Isn't EI imbedded into windows?"- For the most part, yes
"Will it affect any port settings that are used now or anything basically that will have to be changed?" For the most part, no. A program Like Norton IS will set up rules for your new browser when it first wants to connect to the Internet. It will prompt you for a answer.

All in all, you shouldn't have any problems with another browser >>> Go for it!. 8)
sbjlsmtj
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

did it

Post by sbjlsmtj »

Ok, I did it, I downloaded and starting to use Mozilla. First thing I noticed, was my mouse don't work with it. I use a Logitech MX laser mouse, and my back forward buttons don't work. Not sure how to fix it. Any suggestions?

Also, there's 300 enxtension to pick from, which should I get? I was trying to read them but there are so freakin many. Any that I should have period? There is also a spot that says add ons, is that programs that download into my system, then the browers can access them? Which do I need?

The version that I downloaded from download.com says 1.5. I think I saw newer versions out on this forum, are they patches? I tried to get this thing to update itself but I can't seem to figure out how to do it.

Thanks for any ideas
Intel Core i7 920......................................................12 gb Corsair DDR-3 1333 Dominator Ram
Asus P6T Deluxe MB..................................................Asetek CPU Liquid Cooling
EVGA GTX295 Video..................................................Vista Home Prem 64
40" Toshiba Monitor
sbjlsmtj
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

download

Post by sbjlsmtj »

I also noticed while trying to download the 1.o6 and 7 that I found again on here, that my download speed sucked compared to IE for some reason. I'm sure it's a setting somewhere, but no idea where to look. IE download 1.06 at 325 to 345 kps and mozialla did it at 36 to 42 kps. So something is wrong. I haven't changed anything or added anything besides the patches. I noticed that on 1.07, the speed was up to 190 on mozilla but that's still way slower than IE. Any ideas? Thanks again.
40" Toshiba Monitor
pointreyes
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by pointreyes »

infinitevalence wrote:...you have to still have IE because its part of the OS, and you need it for windows updates, and some bank sites.
You can use Firefox for Windows updates, I did mention this on another thread on LR. It's the IE Tab extension. Not the IE View, it's called IE Tab.

sbjlsmtj, did it miss something on this thread? Why are you downloading the older versions of Firefox? AFAIK 1.5.0.1 is the latest non-beta version.
Diagram of Hardware Profile
----------------------------------------------------------
BSD Daemon Copyright 1988 by Marshall Kirk McKusick. All Rights Reserved.
Fogey
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by Fogey »

I'm curious. Why Mozilla?

I use to use Netscape for a lot of years, but once Bill Gates got his hannds on Netscape via the AOL deal, well, most knew where Netscape was headed. Hence some of the old Netscape boys started up the Mozilla foundation. So , I switched to Mozilla. The new Mozilla team then came out with Fire Fox. More recently, more time was devoted to Fire Fox than to Mozilla. I believe they are going to go back to putting more time into Mozilla. So, since Fire Fox worked so well, lots of folks wanted it. ME to!
I liked it better than Mozilla once I got use to it. Now with a number of devoted Fire Fox fans, the word is Netscape is being re geared up. Interesting indeed. Now, I'm trying Opera and so far, It's the best one I've ever used "FOR ME".

If you like Mozilla , why not try Fire Fox. I think you'll like it even more. Most folks whom have used both generaly prefer Fire Fox.

As for me helping you on your issues with Mozilla, I can't help you out on that one. I haven't used it for several years. Its been a while and I
don't want to give you any wrong info on "How to Fix"
sbjlsmtj
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

hmm

Post by sbjlsmtj »

Well I downlaod it and it says "mozilla firefox" LOL, so I think I have firefox then really. I didn't reliaze they were differnt. So I have Foxfire looks like, sorry for the confusion.
40" Toshiba Monitor
Fogey
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by Fogey »

The Mozilla boys do Mozilla+Firefox+Thunderbird. They may do more than that, but thats about all I follow. Once you get the hang of Fire Fox, It's nice. Then again, I'm now using Opera, go figure!

:rolleyes:
pcrobot
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by pcrobot »

Definitely (note that it is spelled correctly) check out the different extensions...

I use Adblock, IETab, Backgroundimage Saver, Download Manager Tweak, Active Stop Button, and Colorful Tabs.
bigblockmatt
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by bigblockmatt »

im not that big of a fan of thurnderbird. outlook express really sux, but microsoft outlook i think totally beats thunderbird (except you have to pay for outlook). Firefox all the way though!!
comp specs- too lazy to make a cool looking sig... MB:GIGABYTE GA-MA790XT-UD4P, AMD Phenom II X3 720 Black Edition 2.8Ghz, CORSAIR TW3X4G1333C9DHX 4GB PC3-10666, ASUS Radeon HD 4870 512MB, SB audigy gamer, WESTERN DIGITAL Caviar Black 500GB, antec P180 case (extra 120mm fan and 80mm fan), Corsair HX Series 620W: ASSEMBLED June 2009