GPU Acceleration Support in Acrobat and Adobe Reader (8.x)

Anything and everything software related that doesn't fit above can go in here!
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

GPU Acceleration Support in Acrobat and Adobe Reader (8.x)

Post by Apoptosis »

Now this is some news!
Adobe Acrobat and Reader 8 introduces a new feature called graphical processing unit (GPU) acceleration. This features enchances page display, zooming, and panning within PDF files. When Acrobat or Adobe Reader starts, it detects the properties of the video card and enables the Use 2D GPU Accerleration feature within Acrobat or Adobe Reader. The 2D GPU acceleration check box will only be visible if Acrobat or Adobe Reader detects a supported video card.

Supported Video Cards

The GPU detection technology within Acrobat or Adobe Reader 8.0 supports nVidia and ATI shader 3 video cards with 128 megabytes of VRAM. The following video cards have been tested with Acrobat and Adobe Reader.
Check here to see if your card is supported: http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/333447.html
dicecca112
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by dicecca112 »

uum why? I look at a ton of pdfs in school, my professor goes nuts for em, and they look fine. Useless feature IMO. But my video card is supported
Cypher
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by Cypher »

Just got Acrobat 8 yesterday. It's nice from what I've been able to see.

I'm just thankful to see it finally supporting 64bit Operating Systems.
Facebook | Linux Systems Administrator | Web and Software Developer | Microsoft Certified Professional

"Wielding power untouched by mortal man."
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

Well I picked up Adobe Acrobat 8 Professional and no window popped up for me... Did you get any Cypher?

I was using Adobe Acrobat 5 back from 2001 and oh my god is Adobe Acrobat 8 much faster.... night and day for me... just wish i could enable the graphics card part.
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

Apoptosis wrote:Well I picked up Adobe Acrobat 8 Professional and no window popped up for me... Did you get any Cypher?

I was using Adobe Acrobat 5 back from 2001 and oh my god is Adobe Acrobat 8 much faster.... night and day for me... just wish i could enable the graphics card part.
Goto either tools / preferences or Edit / preferences
select "3D" on the submenu on the left and the option should be there ;)
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

EDIT / Preferences / Page Display is where you need to go I believe...

There is a box for rendering that is off by default... says "Use 2D GPU Acceleration"

here is a screen shot of my system:

The reader part is free and can be downloaded here:

Windows - ftp://ftp.adobe.com/pub/adobe/reader/wi ... _en_US.exe

Mac PowerPC - ftp://ftp.adobe.com/pub/adobe/reader/ma ... US_ppc.dmg

Mac Intel - ftp://ftp.adobe.com/pub/adobe/reader/ma ... S_i386.dmg
Cypher
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by Cypher »

Apoptosis wrote:Well I picked up Adobe Acrobat 8 Professional and no window popped up for me... Did you get any Cypher?

The only thing it asked me for when I was installing it, it wanted the AdobePDF.dll off the Windows Vista CD-ROM, and well I'm running XP x64. So I ended up going through the Data1.cab to get the AdobePDF.dll_64 and just renaming it.
Facebook | Linux Systems Administrator | Web and Software Developer | Microsoft Certified Professional

"Wielding power untouched by mortal man."