DVD Shrink Software

Anything and everything software related that doesn't fit above can go in here!
Razorbacx
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

DVD Shrink Software

Post by Razorbacx »

I saw DVD Shrink software in my PC Magazine Best Free Software for 2007 issue, downloaded it and have copied two DVD's perfectly using it. Has anyone else used this software to backup their DVD collections? It's free and quite simple to use. Once it has completed ripping your DVD disc it automatically starts up NERO to burn your DVD. Just curious if any of you have used this in the past and what your thoughts are?

Razorbacx
Cypher
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by Cypher »

I rarely use it anymore. The program hasn't been updated since the end of 2005, plus it don't bypass hardly of the current copy protection.

DVDFab+AnyDVD FTW!
Facebook | Linux Systems Administrator | Web and Software Developer | Microsoft Certified Professional

"Wielding power untouched by mortal man."
camaroguy1998
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by camaroguy1998 »

AnyDVD & CloneDVD cannot be beat! Support is great which makes it worth every penny you paid for it!
SlySoft has new forums, they seem to be pretty popular too!
5400 members in less than 2 weeks! Now thats amazing!

http://forum.slysoft.com/
ASUS AM4 TUF Gaming X570-Plus (Wi-Fi)
AMD 3400G - 32G GSkill RipJaw V - {Win10} Pro 64bit, Win11 Update
Corsair H100i RGB PRO XT 240mm AIO Cooler
Corsair RM750X PSU - Corsair Force MP600 M.2 2280 1TB SSD
ASUS 27" LED LCD monitor - Lepai 2x20W Amp - Dayton B652 Spkrs

Corsair 4000D Airflow
werty316
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by werty316 »

I use either AnyDVD or DVDFab and if the DVD is a DVD9 I use DVD Shrink.

Without AnyDVD or DVDFab, you can't make a copy of a DVD as the copyright protection is still present.
There is no theory of evolution. Just a list of animals Chuck Norris allows to live.
bigblockmatt
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by bigblockmatt »

i have used dvd shrink for a while now. i have ran into few of my dvd's that i couldnt back up. even though it hasnt been updated, it is a great, simple little program.
comp specs- too lazy to make a cool looking sig... MB:GIGABYTE GA-MA790XT-UD4P, AMD Phenom II X3 720 Black Edition 2.8Ghz, CORSAIR TW3X4G1333C9DHX 4GB PC3-10666, ASUS Radeon HD 4870 512MB, SB audigy gamer, WESTERN DIGITAL Caviar Black 500GB, antec P180 case (extra 120mm fan and 80mm fan), Corsair HX Series 620W: ASSEMBLED June 2009
hainer36
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by hainer36 »

used DVDShrink for about 200 of my 300 movie collection (legally of course :roll: ) and have now moved onto using DVDFab and shrinkto5

bsaically whatever works and is quick and easy, ill use
tomato
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by tomato »

DVDShrink is great when used together with AnyDVD. And I will use DVDFabDecrypter is the above solution fails me, which happens very rarely... ;)
"Who' doing what now?"
DaIceMan
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DaIceMan »

I use to copy a lot of DVDs, but I've kinda got out of the practice of it lately. I always used DVD Shrink with AnyDVD and it worked on 99% of all DVDs I tried.

With my new rig having 2 DVD burners, I tried to copy a movie this morning before my kids could get ahold of it. I ended up using DVDFab Decrypter, DVD Shrink with Nero and it wouldn't work. I'm just chalking it up to being out of practice and will give it a shot later in the week.
camaroguy1998
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by camaroguy1998 »

DaIceMan wrote:I use to copy a lot of DVDs, but I've kinda got out of the practice of it lately. I always used DVD Shrink with AnyDVD and it worked on 99% of all DVDs I tried.

With my new rig having 2 DVD burners, I tried to copy a movie this morning before my kids could get ahold of it. I ended up using DVDFab Decrypter, DVD Shrink with Nero and it wouldn't work. I'm just chalking it up to being out of practice and will give it a shot later in the week.
Do you have AnyDVD loaded on your new rig? Nothing does it better than AnyDVD!
What movie was it that wouldnt copy? A cpl new ones for whatever reason wont let you copy the complete disc properly. You need to just copy the movie and nothing else.
ASUS AM4 TUF Gaming X570-Plus (Wi-Fi)
AMD 3400G - 32G GSkill RipJaw V - {Win10} Pro 64bit, Win11 Update
Corsair H100i RGB PRO XT 240mm AIO Cooler
Corsair RM750X PSU - Corsair Force MP600 M.2 2280 1TB SSD
ASUS 27" LED LCD monitor - Lepai 2x20W Amp - Dayton B652 Spkrs

Corsair 4000D Airflow
DaIceMan
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DaIceMan »

camaroguy1998 wrote:
DaIceMan wrote:I use to copy a lot of DVDs, but I've kinda got out of the practice of it lately. I always used DVD Shrink with AnyDVD and it worked on 99% of all DVDs I tried.

Do you have AnyDVD loaded on your new rig? Nothing does it better than AnyDVD!
What movie was it that wouldnt copy? A cpl new ones for whatever reason wont let you copy the complete disc properly. You need to just copy the movie and nothing else.
I won't copy the movie without the menus. Previews and such can die, but I won't give up the menus just to get 3-5% less compression.

Yeah, I have AnyDVD running. The movie was Open Season. It copied, and looks like it was fine. The opening Sony logo was there, but the prevews I blanked were gone and it just played black screen for like a minute. I pressed menu and it looked like it was loading a menu, but it was a black screen again.
tomato
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by tomato »

Out of curiousity, were you using the newest versio of AnyDVD? Since you are out of practice, they are constantly releasing new versions of AnyDVD as new copy protections are being created...
"Who' doing what now?"
rsrch
Legit User
Legit User

Post by rsrch »

I like AnyDVD & DVD Shrink , The have worked great for me for over 2 years .
I had to add FixVTS, and RipIt4Me to rip my last movie.
I need to checkout DVDFab.
tnynyn
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by tnynyn »

Used DVD Shrink for DVD9 and it works great! Easy interface and love the option where I can take out the annoying commercials in the beginning. Also anyone know the difference between DVDFAb and DVDShrink?
hainer36
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by hainer36 »

tnynyn wrote:Used DVD Shrink for DVD9 and it works great! Easy interface and love the option where I can take out the annoying commercials in the beginning. Also anyone know the difference between DVDFAb and DVDShrink?
DVDFab takes the enitre DVD (full 7.5gb) and dvdshrink takes the entire dvd and shrinks it to fit onto a 4.5gb disk

i use DVDFab now because i cannot get DVDshrink to work on some newer protected dvds that i...uh....bought :roll: yeah, bought.
DaIceMan
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DaIceMan »

tomato wrote:Out of curiousity, were you using the newest versio of AnyDVD? Since you are out of practice, they are constantly releasing new versions of AnyDVD as new copy protections are being created...
yeah, I just downloaded it last week. I think it might have been something I did with vobBlocker, as I'm very new to the program (just found about it over the weekend. I'm going to do a bit more research and try a different movie as well.
incogneato
Legit User
Legit User

Post by incogneato »

ripit4me launches dvdshrink as does anydvd i believe. havnt backedup my dvds in a long time but this program is amazing. newer dvd movies sometimes dont work with it alone (but with anydvd it will) but if you are backing up older ones dvdshrink is amazingly simple and efficient. love it
Tyron
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by Tyron »

DvdFabDecrypter for ripping and DVDRebuilder with the CCE plugin for encoding will give you the best quality results.

DVDShrink actually holds up pretty well for a program that has been discontinued. Not good for ripping though.
slugbug
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by slugbug »

I used to use dvd decrypter and Pinnacle Instant Copy 7 with great results.
I don't think Pinnacle makes it anymore.
Back when SVCD was the big thing, I used DVD2SVCD and CCE 2.50.
rockcola
Legit User
Legit User

Post by rockcola »

DVD Shrink is starting to not work anymore. Even with AnyDVD I have been having trouble with shrink lately. DVD Decrypter has given me more success.
Tyron
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by Tyron »

rockcola wrote:DVD Shrink is starting to not work anymore. Even with AnyDVD I have been having trouble with shrink lately. DVD Decrypter has given me more success.
Both shrink and decrypter aren't being updated anymore. A lot of the newer discs won't be copyable using those programs. Pick up dvdfabdecrypter. It's free and is updated regularly.