Copy Harddrive contents between computers?

Anything and everything software related that doesn't fit above can go in here!
bigblockmatt
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Copy Harddrive contents between computers?

Post by bigblockmatt »

I am looking for some info on how to duplicate a harddrive onto another computer.

ie. i have computer A with windows and programs installed. I want computer B to be exactly the same as A without having to install everything separately.

I think that is what Norton Ghost does but i know nothing about it and how it works. If this is infact what Ghost does, could someone give me some info on how it all works?

Thanks Guy!
comp specs- too lazy to make a cool looking sig... MB:GIGABYTE GA-MA790XT-UD4P, AMD Phenom II X3 720 Black Edition 2.8Ghz, CORSAIR TW3X4G1333C9DHX 4GB PC3-10666, ASUS Radeon HD 4870 512MB, SB audigy gamer, WESTERN DIGITAL Caviar Black 500GB, antec P180 case (extra 120mm fan and 80mm fan), Corsair HX Series 620W: ASSEMBLED June 2009
DaIceMan
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DaIceMan »

Norton Ghost will create an image (exact copy) of your hard drive, but using it on another computer will be tricky unless the hardware is the same. You will probably have problems with drivers and such for any different devices.
moon111
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by moon111 »

I don't know if this helps you or not, but when I upgraded from my old harddrive to my new WD one, I used Western Digital's Data Lifeguard Tools, which took the contents from the old one and put it on perfectly on the newer, bigger drive. The Drive to Drive worked without flaw. Of course I was putting this back into the same computer.
bigblockmatt
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by bigblockmatt »

my plan is to have computers exactly the same. thanks
comp specs- too lazy to make a cool looking sig... MB:GIGABYTE GA-MA790XT-UD4P, AMD Phenom II X3 720 Black Edition 2.8Ghz, CORSAIR TW3X4G1333C9DHX 4GB PC3-10666, ASUS Radeon HD 4870 512MB, SB audigy gamer, WESTERN DIGITAL Caviar Black 500GB, antec P180 case (extra 120mm fan and 80mm fan), Corsair HX Series 620W: ASSEMBLED June 2009
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

moon111 wrote:I don't know if this helps you or not, but when I upgraded from my old harddrive to my new WD one, I used Western Digital's Data Lifeguard Tools, which took the contents from the old one and put it on perfectly on the newer, bigger drive. The Drive to Drive worked without flaw. Of course I was putting this back into the same computer.
Yes, I have used this also without incident!

I imagine Maxtor, Seagate, Hitachi, etc probably have some form of this too??

Mike
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

Have you tried the old XCOPY trick yet? slave the drive for the new pc in the one you want to copy.

format the drive.

Now lets say for talking purposes that the second drive is now the D: drive.

start-> run -->CMD <enter>

go to the root of C:, keep doing CD.. until you get C:\ now type in xcopy c:\*.* /s/h d: <enter> then set back and watch, this should copy all files/folders including hidden files and folders.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
-Thomas Jefferson
Mortious
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by Mortious »

What about registry entries (assuming this is a Windows machine). Those typically trip you up during a move like this.
moon111
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by moon111 »

bubba wrote:Have you tried the old XCOPY trick yet? slave the drive for the new pc in the one you want to copy.

format the drive.

Now lets say for talking purposes that the second drive is now the D: drive.

start-> run -->CMD <enter>

go to the root of C:, keep doing CD.. until you get C:\ now type in xcopy c:\*.* /s/h d: <enter> then set back and watch, this should copy all files/folders including hidden files and folders.
I can triple-check everything... I still don't like formating a drive when another's attached. LOL I usually wimp out and disconnect the drive with the content on it first.
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

I guess you don't have to format it, but delete everything off the new drive, re-formating would be your best bet to start with a clean slate.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
-Thomas Jefferson
bigblockmatt
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by bigblockmatt »

cool!! I dont have anything right now to actually try this on, but hopefully will soon enough. I was just looking at how it/if can be done. The systems would be new and the same hardware.

Thanks for the help!