Opteron 144 939 + passive cooling?

Discussions about AMD Processors and overclocking. Need help with that new AMD CPU or not sure which one to buy? Like to void your warranty? This is the place for you! Please keep the topic on Processors only!
HONkUS
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Opteron 144 939 + passive cooling?

Post by HONkUS »

I am building a low-end server for work and I want to go with passive cooling if I can (less fans mean less things to go wrong/break) as long as I keep the airflow good in the case im thinking this possible especially considering the 144 is only 67 watts, my question is this:

What HS can you guys reccomend to passively cool this proc?

Would something like THIS work better then something like THIS for passive cooling??

Thank you ahead of time oh wise great ones :)
infinitevalence
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by infinitevalence »

is this a 1u or 4u case? because if you have room for it some of the huge alu towers work really well for passive cooling.
"Don't open that! It's an alien planet! Is there air? You don't know!"
HONkUS
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by HONkUS »

well I use the term server loosley its actually gonna be a tower, and its for our pt's and records database, I work in a small psychological practice.
Pengwin
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Pengwin »

Scythe Ninja.

can be run passive or u can mount a 120mm fan to cool better.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6835185001
HONkUS
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by HONkUS »

Thanks pengwin! I think ill go with the Scythe, now what about a case with good airflow? any suggestions?
infinitevalence
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by infinitevalence »

some thing with a 120mm fan on the back. near the cooler and thast about all you need.
"Don't open that! It's an alien planet! Is there air? You don't know!"
HONkUS
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by HONkUS »

I was looking at THIS anyone have any experience with this case?
Pengwin
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Pengwin »

nope, but personally if ur going passive u want quiet, if u want quiet with good cooling, Antec P180 and P180b, One of the BEST if not the BEST air cooled chassis on the market.
Bio-Hazard
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Bio-Hazard »

Thermaltake has several cases that smoke the Antec in the way of cooling. some with full mesh front ends with 120mm fans for intake and exhaust.............. :shock:

http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/product/C ... _index.asp
Pengwin
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Pengwin »

Bio-Hazard wrote:Thermaltake has several cases that smoke the Antec in the way of cooling. some with full mesh front ends with 120mm fans for intake and exhaust.............. :shock:

http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/product/C ... _index.asp

P180 is a midtower.

No Thermaltake comes close the performance of a P180. It IS the coolest air cooled chassis w/o modding. 4 120mm fans cool the uppersection while the PSU heat is seperated in the lower section. So absolutely no midtiwer for the price of a p180 comes close to the P180's cooling. Also P180 is whisper quiet.
Bio-Hazard
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Bio-Hazard »

Everyone has their own opinion I guess, good thing it isn't mine............... :shock:
Pengwin
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Pengwin »

Bio-Hazard wrote:Everyone has their own opinion I guess, good thing it isn't mine............... :shock:
i agree but this is a fact. The P180 is the best air cooled mid tower for the price. and its quiet.
Bio-Hazard
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Bio-Hazard »

And just where does it say that's it'd a absolute fact, I haven't red that anywhere. The case has one of the worst air intakes in the world along with every intake air path blocked by something. That all adds up to OK cooling at best.
Pengwin
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Pengwin »

hiow

http://www.antec.com/images/400/p180v1_inside.jpg

inlets all along the bezel allow air to enter via the front dust filter. , 2 120mm fans as exaust. and optionsl 2 120mm in front for intake. I dont think any thermaltake midtower comes close.
HONkUS
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by HONkUS »

That is a sweet case, then again Im kinda Antec biased, I had a Sonata for years, I dunno alot of other cases look kinda "riced out" to me
Pengwin
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Pengwin »

HONkUS wrote:That is a sweet case, then again Im kinda Antec biased, I had a Sonata for years, I dunno alot of other cases look kinda "riced out" to me
get the P180, in most cases the Ninja will line up with the rear and top exausts, usually depends where the CPU socket is.