lapping

Discussions about AMD Processors and overclocking. Need help with that new AMD CPU or not sure which one to buy? Like to void your warranty? This is the place for you! Please keep the topic on Processors only!
odie2190
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

lapping

Post by odie2190 »

lapping your cpu is it really worth it? considering i have already oc'ed my cpu is it worth it?
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DMB2000uk »

depends on if your CPU's IHS is flat or not, and if you want to squeeze every last MHz/oC out of it.

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)
odie2190
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by odie2190 »

no idea if mine is concave or not x_x i might do it anyways. my waranty is screwed anyways..
Solinari
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by Solinari »

From what i have seen i don't think it's worth it, especially if you haven't done it before. If you want to try it i suggest you use an older processor/heatsink first and see how it goes.

As DMB2000uk mentioned it is about getting a flat surface more than anything else. You should also get it smooth as well which is characterised by a very shiny mirror like surface but this isn't as important as getting it as flat as possible.

I don't think you will get a huge reduction in temperatures, you are talking about a couple of degrees °C, maybe a few degrees but nothing more.
AMD Athlon 64 x2 3800 @ 2.7Ghz
Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe
eVGA 8800GTS 640MB SuperClocked
A-Data 2GB DDR400
Integrated Sound
Hiper Type-M 580W PSU
odie2190
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by odie2190 »

i was going to pick up one of these. http://www.easypckits.com/products/hslkwg/
skier

Post by skier »

umm, one question, wtf is lapping?
-Austin
Screamin' BCLK: Image
775 System (Overclocking Platform): Q8400/Q8300/E8400/E7400/E7500 - GA-EP45-UD3R v1.1 - 4GB (2x2) OCZ Reaper HPC DDR2 1066 CL5 2.1v Corsair TX-750w
Gamer: Asrock Z77 Extreme4, i7 3770K @4.6GHz, ThermalTake Armor A90 modded, 2x4GB GSKILL RipjawsX DDR3 2133 CL9, Corsair HX-750w, MSI GTX660 Twin Frozr
Server2012: Q9300 - 8GB DDR2 - Asus P5QL Pro - Corsair CX430 - Mirrored 2TB Seagate's with 2TB WD cav for fileshare backups, 1TB WD for OS backups
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

odie2190 wrote:lapping your cpu is it really worth it? considering i have already oc'ed my cpu is it worth it?
What CPU is it? If it's a s939 chip you can remove the IHS.
http://www.legitreviews.com/article/402/1/
skierkid450 wrote:umm, one question, wtf is lapping?
http://forums.legitreviews.com/viewtopi ... ht=lapping
odie2190
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by odie2190 »

so... couldn't you like take a dremel to it? to remove the ihs? why did they start putting on ihs's ? wth when we get better cooling with it off. doesn't make sense cause not have the ihs could save them some mullah.
Solinari
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by Solinari »

I have heard that it's better with the heatspreader off as well, i read one of the reviews from here as it happens. The following quotes are from a review about the x2 3800, but i think the heatspreader would apply to most AMD chips with a heatspreader, if not all.........
One issue I am seeing on message boards around the web deals with the IHS (Integrated Heat Spreader)....
The consensus among this group seems to be that the IHS seats poorly on the processors cores......
I'm waiting to hear back from AMD on this issue, if there actually is one, and hoping to find out if there are plans to improve the IHS or redesign it totally. (Update: AMD does not plan on changing the HIS on any Athlon processors)
Personally i wouldn't remove the heatspreader on my Athlon, i wouldn't be confident that i wouldn't damage it, and i get pretty good temperatures anyway. I would possibly consider it if i had done it before or if i was trying to squeeze every last Mhz out of it, which i am not.
Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe
A-Data 2GB DDR400
Integrated Sound
Hiper Type-M 580W PSU
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

Solinari wrote:I have heard that it's better with the heatspreader off as well, i read one of the reviews from here as it happens. The following quotes are from a review about the x2 3800, but i think the heatspreader would apply to most AMD chips with a heatspreader, if not all.........
One issue I am seeing on message boards around the web deals with the IHS (Integrated Heat Spreader)....
The consensus among this group seems to be that the IHS seats poorly on the processors cores......
I'm waiting to hear back from AMD on this issue, if there actually is one, and hoping to find out if there are plans to improve the IHS or redesign it totally. (Update: AMD does not plan on changing the HIS on any Athlon processors)

Personally i wouldn't remove the heatspreader on my Athlon, i wouldn't be confident that i wouldn't damage it, and i get pretty good temperatures anyway. I would possibly consider it if i had done it before or if i was trying to squeeze every last Mhz out of it, which i am not.
Don't try remove the IHS from an Intel proc or an AM2 cpu!
YOU WILL KILL THE CPU IF YOU TRY

The IHS is soldered onto the core

See here
:)
odie2190
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by odie2190 »

kenc51 wrote:
Solinari wrote:I have heard that it's better with the heatspreader off as well, i read one of the reviews from here as it happens. The following quotes are from a review about the x2 3800, but i think the heatspreader would apply to most AMD chips with a heatspreader, if not all.........

Don't try remove the IHS from an Intel proc or an AM2 cpu!

See here
go figure that you have tried this already. you have tooo much time on your hands..
Solinari
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by Solinari »

kenc51 wrote: Don't try remove the IHS from an Intel proc or an AM2 cpu!

See here
Well in for pointing that out. The article is about 939 CPU's but i can see how people might think it applies to all AMD CPU's with a heat spreader, or any CPU for that matter.
Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe
A-Data 2GB DDR400
Integrated Sound
Hiper Type-M 580W PSU
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

LOL

I have plenty of IHS key chains :finga:
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

Intel IHS Lapping and Removal For LGA775 CPU's - http://www.legitreviews.com/article/402/1/

That article should help ya out ;) I've done it a dozen or so times just to get a little better overclocking results.