Upgrading my AMD

Discussions about AMD Processors and overclocking. Need help with that new AMD CPU or not sure which one to buy? Like to void your warranty? This is the place for you! Please keep the topic on Processors only!
bigjake912
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Upgrading my AMD

Post by bigjake912 »

I have a AMD Sempron 2400+ in my computer and I am wanting to upgrade. I looked it p and it said it was a "socket A" I was looking around some other places and I an having trouble finding a Socket A. Then I found somewhere that a socket 754 is the same thing as a Socket A... is this correct? and What are some processors I can upgrade to...
The Black Pumpkin
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by The Black Pumpkin »

Socket A

Socket 754

Definitely not the same. A has 462 pins, and 754 has, well, 754 pins.

You can get Socket A cpu's on eBay, if you really want to keep you're motherboard, but I'd recommend upgrading to at least socket 939 or AM2. Google those for more info.
Solinari
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by Solinari »

The Black pumpkin is right, socket A is otherwise known as socket 462. The best you can get for it is an Athlon XP 3200 which requires a FSB of 200, so if your motherboard only supports 166 then you won't be able to run it at full speed without overclocking and for that you will need a PCI Bus Lock or you'll have stability issues and possibly damage anything on the PCI Bus (hard drive, sound, ethernet, video etc)

I went from a Socket A system to 939. You will be able to use your current RAM on a 939 system, but you will need a new video card (PCI-e) unless you get one of those Asrock Dual VSTA (or something) motherboards that supports both DDR1 and DDR2 as well as AGP and PCI-e (albeit at a lower speed). You will need a new CPU but you can get dual core 3800's really cheap (OEM) or even a 3500 (single core) for £30 (around $60).

Then, if you do get the Asrock Dual thingy (can't recall the correct name) then you can use the AM2 'daughter board' and upgrade to AM2 and DDR2 when you're ready. The Asrock dual socket/RAM./Video are really good solutions for easy (on the wallet) upgrade paths.
AMD Athlon 64 x2 3800 @ 2.7Ghz
Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe
eVGA 8800GTS 640MB SuperClocked
A-Data 2GB DDR400
Integrated Sound
Hiper Type-M 580W PSU