phenom overclockable?

Discussions about AMD Processors and overclocking. Need help with that new AMD CPU or not sure which one to buy? Like to void your warranty? This is the place for you! Please keep the topic on Processors only!
hercules71185
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

phenom overclockable?

Post by hercules71185 »

Ok I've searched numerous places. I've heard it can't OC. then it runs good at 3ghz.. I can't find any reliable info anywhere aside from here it seems.
Simply put. Does anyone know if its a good overclocker. Or is it just a waste. The scores I'm seeing don't seem impressive. Supposedly this was put out to just keep up with Intel but, the big release is coming soon.. ?? This is all info mostly probably false I've obtained by searching this subject. I searched these forums to see and I don't see any overclock results. If it gets to say.. 2.6? I'd get it. But, if not it looks like I'm either getting the 6400 or waiting a bit.
I have the 3600x2 running at 2.8 now. Seems to keep up with the amd 5400's according to my benchmarks
Methious
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: phenom overclockable?

Post by Methious »

Look over on the AMD website in their forum, their getting some over clocks CPU-Z verified on the phenoms. I just spent 2 hours surfing looking at Phenom/X2 6400 info. The best Info I saw was over here; http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/pr ... henom.html. They clocked them, compared them to the intel quads the whole bit.

They still don't compare to the Intel Quads very well, but the information is there and is quite extensive.
hercules71185
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by hercules71185 »

I figured I'd stick with amd knowing intel is better lol. Just cause I like my board, and its already here. Trying to sell an AM2 board now is like trying to sell salt to a slug.
hercules71185
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by hercules71185 »

So from what I see the phenom does make it to 2.8 stable @ stock voltage. But, if you up it to 1.45 it can be semi stable at 3.0.. Good to know. I can spend 190 on a phenom and get it oc'd faster than the 6400 and in the future it will outperform better.. theoretically.
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

Check out the article I wrote here: http://www.legitreviews.com/article/597/12/

I have had had three Phenoms and all overclock to 3Ghz and over slightly.
Methious
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Methious »

I have pretty good luck selling the AM2 boards, usually with the 2 GHZ range X2. Most people aren't as demanding as we are. Mine seems to be doing the job pretty well but later this year I'm either going to go Intel or try a later model Phenom depending on budget. Couple of people interested in my 6400 rig, I'm just not done playing with it yet.
hercules71185
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by hercules71185 »

I see that is the 9900. Is it like all AMDs where all it is, is the same processor with a different clock speed? Like will the 96 series clock to 3.0?
w00fd06
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by w00fd06 »

From what i've seen, the 9900 does get up to 3ghz, like Apop said, but it's only stable up to 2.88ghz, i'm assuming Apop's cooling was better.
But i haven't seen anyone else who was able to get the 9500 and 9600 up to those speeds. :dunno: