My first OC, x2 5600+, need help with some questions.

Discussions about AMD Processors and overclocking. Need help with that new AMD CPU or not sure which one to buy? Like to void your warranty? This is the place for you! Please keep the topic on Processors only!
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: My first OC, x2 5600+, need help with some questions.

Post by DMB2000uk »

I meant the paper boxes, as they 'duct' the air where you want it :mrgreen:

Is it just the stock single slot cooler on the 8600GT or have you got something beefier on it?

That's a nice 3dmark score/clocks for a 8600GT ^_^
[6217 is all I can get out of my 7950GT (256MB), though I haven't properly suicided it for the most score I possibly can]

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)
Calamar
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by Calamar »

no no :D Thats 2 8600 in SLI :P A friend of mine changed his 8600, for a 8800. He knew I had a 8600 so the give it to me. That was in a celebration we have before christmas, 6th january.
thats the other post (about SLI overclocking):
http://forums.legitreviews.com/about13546.html

I really would recommend to try to do that paper stuff in his computer. I don't understand why all hardware assemblers dont standarize a cooling path, from front to behind and put all components ready for that (memory, chipset cooler, psu, etc.)
http://store.apple.com/Apple/WebObjects ... vH2kpJprkb

!!!!
:prayer: :prayer: :prayer: =D> =D>
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DMB2000uk »

Ah, i didn't make the connection that the other thread was yours too.

I take it that your paper box ducting worked in reducing the temperatures enough.

The P180 starts the thermal box ducting thing with the PSU and hard drives, but doesnt really finish it off properly. Though the number of fans in my P180 makes the whole system cool!

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)
Calamar
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

New stuff, new speed :)

Post by Calamar »

:D
Some weeks ago I had the opportunity to change my case radiator and waterblock. I hope my new LianLi PC-77 will last as long as my old PC-70 (which will be the new chassis for my server).
- The CPU waterblock is a DangerDen TDX for a 939 socket (the price was about 30% of the AM2 version: It only changes the methacrylate shape the copper part is the same). ~20€
- The chipset waterblock is also a DangerDen, but very old one (not listed) 16€. Dremelized to fit on the old chipset spot.
- The radiator, I was looking for something "big" (for my next cpu), so I bought the 360 GTX from black ice. 100€ (not cheap but the last one lasted for 6 years, so it was time to change).
I'm aware that TFC is making incredible products beating most black ice products, but 360 version can't fit inside the 5,25 bays. :(
- The pump is the old EHEIM 1048 (fantastic! more than 6 years working :D)
New 1/2' tubbing and some mosfet radiators because I removed the pipe-**** (the chipset runs very very (+58ºC) hot with the default cooling system).

Some images:
(1) Noctua P-12 (2) Pasp F/2GLL (one of them GL)

It is not "finished" I'm still working on the "conduits" :lol:. There is also missing a 8600GT, the tv card and the memory fan.

Here are my problems/doubts.
When "retesting" the system, CPU can go until ~3,4Ghz and memory ~486Mhz but not at the same time. Maybe has something to do with the "chipset" voltages listed on the BIOS but I don't know exactly what they are.
CPU/chipset HT voltage <-- (1) some sites say is the voltage between memory and cpu, others between cpu and chipset, does someone know what exactly is that?
Chipset core voltage <-- (2) why is usually needed to increas chipset voltage?
Chipset stand-by voltage <-- (3) why there is a stand-by and "none" stand-by chipset voltage?
chipset PCI-E Voltage <-- ***
CPU Vcore offset <-- no problem with this.
Motherboard manual don't give clues.

*** I also have all the PCI-E frequencies in AUTO. (4) To change them can actually increase performance? I think I read that is better not to change that.

Finally I would like to know if someone could help me to find an "easy-to-read" guide about the basics on memory overclocking, divisors, timmings, etc.

BTW! Some results 8)
I lowered the cpu multiplier to 12x and I don't know why 667 divisor went from CPU/9 to CPU/8. Better for me because CPU/7 was too high, and CPU/9 was too low :mrgreen:
So HTT@280Mhz cpu is running at 3360Mhz and memory at 420Mhz. I'll try to set memory to CPU/7 (to run it at 480Mhz).

As you can see I have the HT multiplier at 3x because I read that should not exceed 1000Mhz, does it matters if I set it at 4x (1120Mhz)? Has something to do with the voltages listed below?

I tried to find how far a 5600+ has gone but google is full of useless results and is becoming very annoying to find anything. :axe: