AMD Phenom Quad-Core Processor Update

Discussions about AMD Processors and overclocking. Need help with that new AMD CPU or not sure which one to buy? Like to void your warranty? This is the place for you! Please keep the topic on Processors only!
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

AMD Phenom Quad-Core Processor Update

Post by Apoptosis »

You may have seen a few online headlines today indicating “AMD Phenom processor delays.” AMD sent Legit Reviews an e-mail as they would like to clarify where things stand with this on-going roll-out of AMD true quad-core and triple-core processors. Check out what they have to say below.
* AMD launched its highest-volume versions of AMD Phenom quad-core processors in mid-November (models 9500 and 9600), and we shipped hundreds of thousands in Q4 2007. OEMs demonstrated production AMD Phenom processor-based desktops during 2008 International CES this week.
* For the enthusiast market, AMD then launched a performance tunable “Black Edition” of the 9600 model in December 2007 to address the enthusiast market. This was an additional quad-core product added to our Q4 roadmap and is now available on major e-tailer sites.
* AMD will now introduce the AMD Phenom 9700 and 9900 models in Q2 2008. This decision was based on OEM input on how AMD should prioritize its next two waves of AMD Phenom processor models. Based on these customer inputs, AMD will continue to prioritize volume-based Phenom products, including the AMD Phenom triple-core processor introduction for consumer and commercial markets this quarter, and now a new energy–efficient 65W AMD Phenom 9000e series processor in this quarter (instead of Q2). AMD Phenom 9700 and 9900 models will immediately follow next quarter.
* Our OEM customers are placing more priority on our energy-efficient and triple-core processors, where the volumes and ability to differentiate products take precedence over the more prestigious, but much lower volume, higher performance quad-core products.
Methious
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: AMD Phenom Quad-Core Processor Update

Post by Methious »

Glad to see AMD has some plans to roll out new products. Hey Apop I read some where that the triple cores were going to be Quads from failed yields where 3 of the cores worked and one failed so they disable the failed core and sell it out as a triple. Any truth to that? (hoping not)
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

Methious wrote:Glad to see AMD has some plans to roll out new products. Hey Apop I read some where that the triple cores were going to be Quads from failed yields where 3 of the cores worked and one failed so they disable the failed core and sell it out as a triple. Any truth to that? (hoping not)

That's correct! It would be stupid for AMD to create a whole new CPU based on a 3 core design.

Intel and AMD have always done this kind of thing, just not with the cores themselves but with cache sizes.
Methious
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Methious »

I figured there was a grain of truth in it, I don't know that I'd want a chip with a failed core. I take it that by cache sizes you mean Celeron/Sempron originally being Pentium and Athlon series with failed cache, so they disable the failed cache and sell it out any way?
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DMB2000uk »

Welcome to the forums truthteller, be sure to introduce yourself in our new members section.

I'm not discrediting what you are saying about the q6700 being beat, but do you have any benchies to back it up? The other thing though, is that the Q6700 (and even the Q6600) can be overclocked quite far past stock, so the ball goes back to Intel when that is done (..I'm presuming, Show us your cards and we'll see for sure).

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)
Zertz
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Zertz »

Methious wrote:I figured there was a grain of truth in it, I don't know that I'd want a chip with a failed core. I take it that by cache sizes you mean Celeron/Sempron originally being Pentium and Athlon series with failed cache, so they disable the failed cache and sell it out any way?
It's highly possible that 3 of the cores can clock at 3Ghz but the fourth one just fails at 1Ghz or whatever for some reason, so kill that core and let the 3 others work as fast as they can!

And yes, Celeron/Sempron brand names are a way to clear bad cores.
HONkUS
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by HONkUS »

shutting off failed cores isn't that new, Toshiba and Sony have been doing it with their Cell processor, its an 8 core design but the PS3 only uses 7 cores so if one core comes out of the fab bad then thats ok as long as the other 7 work. If more then 1 is bad then the chip can still be used in all sorts of things like medical imaging equipment or defense applications or as it looks like now the Toshiba Spurs engine that was recently shown at CES I think that only uses 4 cores of a Cell chip. So bottom line is that because one core is bad that doesn't mean the whole chip is a waste, atleast not in AMD's native quad core design I don't know how a dual die quad core would work if both die's weren't identical (Intel) :)

Here's an article on the Cell chip and its cores
Methious
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Methious »

Good to know, I knew I wasn't liking the Celeron/Sempron line before I knew about the failed cache thing, previously I figured they just disabled or didn't install the cache. Since I don't use them I never bothered to check. Think it'd be a good marketing strategy to advertise the celeron/sempron line as the "We didn't quite get this one right but hey buy it any way." Funny how many things you pick up on LR. Thanks guys!
stev
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by stev »

One advantage the AMD Sempron line sis offer with less working cache was the ability OC even more. So, Sempron wasn't always totally out of the picture.

As for the Celeron, that's another story. Those mainly were designated for low ended systems and small business PCs. We have zillions of these Dell Celeron (second generation Celerons) machines at work. They are slow using PC-133 memory.
AMD X2 TK-57 1.90Ghz | F700 Quanta | PC2-5300 DDR2 2Gb | GeForce 7000M | DVDRAM GSA-T40N | HP LaserJet 1018
My Stats http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/ ... =&u=303718
http://www.eff.org - Electronic Frontier Foundation - working to protect your digital rights
Methious
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Methious »

I always had a lot of luck OCing the Semprons, I have one now I got on some trade in, a 1.6ghz 754pin on a Biostar CRU-51 M7 mobo most stubborn sempron I ever saw, might be the mobo. I get FSB up to 207 and it refuses to post. Even broke down and tried the Biostar software oc utility same result. Had tremendous luck OCing the 478 pin P4, did the OC for a neighbor running a 2.26 I believe, ran it up to 3ghz stable and cool, backed it down to 2.8 for longevity. Previous to the current generation of Intel, OC was luck of the draw with CPUs, now it seems almost all the Core 2 duos and new Quads OC phenomenally well (pun intended).

I would like to see the OCs on the new 45nm duos and quads, I don't much need a quad but seriously looking at the 45nm core 2 duo, specifically the e8400 3.0 ghz. At 45nm I bet it's a monster Over Clocker on air.
Zertz
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Zertz »

Methious wrote:I would like to see the OCs on the new 45nm duos and quads, I don't much need a quad but seriously looking at the 45nm core 2 duo, specifically the e8400 3.0 ghz. At 45nm I bet it's a monster Over Clocker on air.
The engineering samples floating around do like 4Ghz on air and 5+Ghz on... different cooling solutions
Methious
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Methious »

4 GHZ air 5 ghz on water or better, I know next build I'm lookin Intel. When they hit 5 GHZ did a black hole spontaneously open? :shock:
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

Methious wrote:I always had a lot of luck OCing the Semprons, I have one now I got on some trade in, a 1.6ghz 754pin on a Biostar CRU-51 M7 mobo most stubborn sempron I ever saw, might be the mobo. I get FSB up to 207 and it refuses to post. Even broke down and tried the Biostar software oc utility same result. Had tremendous luck OCing the 478 pin P4, did the OC for a neighbor running a 2.26 I believe, ran it up to 3ghz stable and cool, backed it down to 2.8 for longevity. Previous to the current generation of Intel, OC was luck of the draw with CPUs, now it seems almost all the Core 2 duos and new Quads OC phenomenally well (pun intended).

I would like to see the OCs on the new 45nm duos and quads, I don't much need a quad but seriously looking at the 45nm core 2 duo, specifically the e8400 3.0 ghz. At 45nm I bet it's a monster Over Clocker on air.

It was the motherboard! 207 FSB can be done easily with ANY semperon CPU!
Semperon's on average OC more than Athlons! Same with Celerons.
I had a celeron that could do almost a 100% OC with just .1v extra --> I ended up killing it trying to pry off the IHS. (most people will remember that fiasco, I know Joe will :) )
Methious
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Methious »

Yea I figured it was the Mobo. It goes in the paper this Friday anyway.