mp3 advice

Discussions about AMD Processors and overclocking. Need help with that new AMD CPU or not sure which one to buy? Like to void your warranty? This is the place for you! Please keep the topic on Processors only!
dewmv
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

mp3 advice

Post by dewmv »

Hi everyone,

I am looking to purchase a new mp3 player, and I need some advice on which one to buy. Also, Do any of you know of any other chat rooms/forums that would be of help to me on this topic?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
infinitevalence
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by infinitevalence »

I have to say honestly after using several different players the Ipod is king. depending on you budget the have everything from 512mb @ $99 to 60gb @ $400. The real nice features are the auto sync and the fact that you can buy songs if you want to.
"Don't open that! It's an alien planet! Is there air? You don't know!"
dewmv
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by dewmv »

thanks so much for the advice! I dont think I need a 60GB, im sure 20 will do. One more question, do you know of any other chat rooms that I can visit to find info on mp3's??

thanks again!!
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

I have always used flash mp3 players from iRiver, but that was before the shuffle came out for $99. I paid $149.99 for my 256mb player about a year ago. The iShuffle packs a mean punch for the sub $100 price range. It sounds like you are wanting more storage though and for that I'd look at other models than the iPod. Those batteries are too over priced and are garbage if you ask me.
KingJimi
Legit User
Legit User

Post by KingJimi »

OHHH, iPod this, iPod that - look if you don't REALLY need 20GB of music, then go for a Creative Zen Micro. It's just the right size and looks so gorgeous!! Just like you I was considering an iPod, but then I realised how common it was, how basic it really is compared to other players like the Creative (not to mention iRiver, Rio and others)
dewmv
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by dewmv »

hmmm...too many options! I am going to keep asking people for advice on this one (before I make up my mind)...

So, neither of you know of any other forums that I can hit up for more advice???
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

not 100% sure on forums for MP3 players to be honest with you. I'd just google search that one.

The Creative Zen Touch 20GB is a nice player for $219 + shipping

Also look at the iRiver H320 20GB player that goes for $272 shipped.

All of which are cheaper than the $300ish Apple iPod and work just as well if not better.

It is all up to you to be honest. I've personally owned products from iRiver and Creative and have been happy with them years after I bought the players. As for Apple I've stayed clear due to the batteries and other software rights issues. (itunes and whatnot). I hope we helped you out a bit and thanks for joining the Legit Forums Danielle!
FZ1

Post by FZ1 »

I had a Rio Nitrus (1.5 GB) but gave it to my wife and purchased a Rio Carbon (5GB). To me 5 gigs is PLENTY for music. I don't really need to carry around my entire music collection and don't really see why anyone would (IMHO) :| . As far as the carbon goes:
The good:
>Great sound
>Small form factor (great for jogging etc)
>Easy controls and ease of use
>Very attractive design
>Plays most all formats (including WMA)
>Battery life & charge time

The bad:
>It can be slow to boot up and there is sometimes a delay when activating controls (did not have this issue with the nitrus). This is extremely annoying.
>The sync software is not so great (but you can move files back and forth without it)
Joe
infinitevalence
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by infinitevalence »

the sync soft is why i would go for the ipod personaly. Its widely known that the iTunes iPod combo is the simpelset to use when it comes to syncing.
"Don't open that! It's an alien planet! Is there air? You don't know!"
KingJimi
Legit User
Legit User

Post by KingJimi »

Very true, vstrom, that why I went for a Zen Micro 5GB too.