Overclocking for dummies?

Discussions about AMD Processors and overclocking. Need help with that new AMD CPU or not sure which one to buy? Like to void your warranty? This is the place for you! Please keep the topic on Processors only!
DigitlGhost
Legit User
Legit User

Overclocking for dummies?

Post by DigitlGhost »

Is there an overclocking for dummies post? I was wondering if someone could post (or point me to a post with) a breakdown of combinations of clock and voltage settings?

DigitlGhost
infinitevalence
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by infinitevalence »

I dont think we have such a post at this time but if you can list your equipment and information then we can help you along the way.
"Don't open that! It's an alien planet! Is there air? You don't know!"
FZ1

Post by FZ1 »

There are oodles of these type posts and articles all over the web...Google :-k
Joe
DigitlGhost
Legit User
Legit User

Hot box

Post by DigitlGhost »

Here is my current, painfully slow rig.

Biostar IDEQ200V: Barebone style system
Bus Speed: 266MHz
Maximum Supported RAM: 2GB
RAM Type: Corsair CMX512-2700LLPT 512MB DDR333 XMS2700 Low Latency SPD Memory w/Platinum Heat Spreader
Motherboard chipset: VIA KM400
Processor Speed: 333MHz
Processor Type: AMD Athlon XP 2500+ 1.83GHz 333FSB 512KB Processor (Barton core)

Running in that tiny box I have only over clocked to just under 2Ghz. It usually runs at about 50 degrees Celsius. I will be cutting the case and putting a high volume exhaust fan on the top to help with ventilation. I am also considering replacing the factory CPU fan. Modifying the case and fans should be fun.

With the increased cooling I would like to over clock more. There is a software that comes with the system that helps over clock, but I would like to make the changes directly in the bios. To do this I’m wondering what combinations would be best for my system? What about over clocking my RAM or video?

DigitlGhost
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

The KM400 chipset is known not to be the best overclocker out there. I'd aim more for a mild system overclock (2GHz - 2.2Ghz) and then also maybe bump up the video card core/mem speeds.

The first thing that needs to be done is to upgrade the cooling though. If at defualt speeds 50C is way too high to begin overclocking at. All SFF's run hot and aren't meant to be overclocked off the store shelf, so just understnad you are fighting an up hill battle.
-mogwai
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by -mogwai »

how high can i get my 3.0c, do you think?
infinitevalence
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by infinitevalence »

3.6-3.8 with decent air, if you put it under water you might hit 3.9+ but to get over 4ghz you really need a prescott.
"Don't open that! It's an alien planet! Is there air? You don't know!"
James
Legit User
Legit User

Re: Overclocking for dummies?

Post by James »

DigitlGhost wrote:Is there an overclocking for dummies post? I was wondering if someone could post (or point me to a post with) a breakdown of combinations of clock and voltage settings?

DigitlGhost
There are AMD CPU forums that are for overclockers.
FZ1

Post by FZ1 »

It seems that every other forum has a OC guide (some better than others) so why not have a LR OC guide? I think a handful of us can put together a damn good guide. I'm thinking about taking a shot at a rough draft and maybe folks can pitch in with additions/corrections. Thoughts?
Joe
killswitch83
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by killswitch83 »

I second that one Joe.....you see, it would be awesome if we had an Ultimate OC Guide for RAM and CPU. The only thing is though, it would be sooooo long it would probably use up all the server space to include all possible OC ranges for each AMD chip Athlon 64 and up, and Intel 5xx series and up, not to mention all the different types of memory out there and timings and voltage they can take....not to mention certain mobo's have better OC'ing abilities than others. You would have to program a database something like AMD has for their processor quick reference guide with everything, and I don't know how much server space is alotted for upgrades to this site, I would toss it to Nate and see what he thinks.
FZ1

Post by FZ1 »

killswitch83 wrote:The only thing is though, it would be sooooo long it would probably use up all the server space to include all possible OC ranges for each AMD chip Athlon 64 and up, and Intel 5xx series and up, not to mention all the different types of memory out there and timings and voltage they can take....not to mention certain mobo's have better OC'ing abilities than others.
I don't think you necessarily have to go to that detail and some of this stuff is well laid out elsewhere on the net that can be linked to. :)
Joe