Whats the difference???

Discussions about AMD Processors and overclocking. Need help with that new AMD CPU or not sure which one to buy? Like to void your warranty? This is the place for you! Please keep the topic on Processors only!
SuBHuMaN12345
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Whats the difference???

Post by SuBHuMaN12345 »

Hey... I am VERY new to this forum... as in i just registered about 2 minutes ago, anyway.... I had a question.

What is the difference between Venice and the Winchester core on a AMD 64 3500+.

Also, I am a complete "noob" when it comes to computer procesors, what does the core do? And what makes one different form the other? Is one better then the other?

Thanks Alot guys.... Just trying to jump into a different world so please dont flame me
infinitevalence
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by infinitevalence »

Winchester: Clocks on average from 2.4-2.6ghz SSE 2, only 2 memory sticks or it has to run 2T

Venice: Clocks from 2.6-2.8ghz has SSE3 and can run with 4 sticks at 1T, the memory controller is ever so slightly slower than Winchester but it makes up for it in overall performance.

SSE3 is mainly used by video applications to improve performance slightly. On average the Venice is a better overclocker, some Winchesters do just as well. I was going to upgrade to Venice until i saw that it was not hitting 3.0 on air, now I'm waiting until the X2 comes out. If you want any more information just ask.

BTW welcome to the forums :) hope you stick around.
"Don't open that! It's an alien planet! Is there air? You don't know!"
LVCapo
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by LVCapo »

Sub,
Welcome to the forums. i hope you enjoy our little spot on the net and stick around for a long while.
Here are a couple of links to the AMD website that better expplain the processors you are interested in and their key architectural differences. Both processors are socket 939, both are 90nm, the Winchester was the first generation, the Venice its successor. Both feature outstanding thermal properties, both a very good CPU. The numbers Infinite showed are overclocking speeds that most attain, not the default speeds.

Desktop Processor Quick Reference Guide
http://www.amdcompare.com/us-en/desktop/Default.aspx

Key Architectural Features
http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/Pro ... 93,00.html
infinitevalence
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by infinitevalence »

Actualy New Castle was the first 939 but thats not a big deal, winchester was the fist 90nm 939.
"Don't open that! It's an alien planet! Is there air? You don't know!"
LVCapo
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by LVCapo »

both are 90nm, the Winchester was the first generation, the Venice its successor
that was what I was saying....dork :axe: