Help Please

Discussions about AMD Processors and overclocking. Need help with that new AMD CPU or not sure which one to buy? Like to void your warranty? This is the place for you! Please keep the topic on Processors only!
shady3000
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Help Please

Post by shady3000 »

Hello, i'm having a problem with my computer.
I have a M2N-E SLI mobo with a AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core processor
Now yesterday i went to turn on my comp and the little power light on the mobo comes on but nothing will stay on when i push the power button, the fans and power supply run for a secong then nothing.
I took all my cards memory and drives out and was left with only the power supply, mobo, and proccesor, still the same thing.
Today i took out the processor and left everything else in and low and behold the comp turned and and kept running with no problem. When i put the psu back in i get the same problem with nuthing working.
So is my proccesor fried or is it my mobo? please help and thanks in advance
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Help Please

Post by Apoptosis »

sounds like your PSU might be bad... Do you have a volt meter to check it?
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DMB2000uk »

If you are ok with unplugging your PSU from everything, and jump starting it with a paper clip, we can see if the PSU will power up properly.

There's a guide on how to do it here:
http://www.overclock.net/faqs/96712-how ... y-psu.html

Just dont leave it running like that for more than a few seconds (once the fan has spun up and you know that it's working), as power supplies don't like to be run unloaded.

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)
shady3000
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by shady3000 »

dont have a volt meter, but i took out the heatsink and processor chip and now everything turns on and the comp runs fine.
i plug the heatsink fan in to the mobo and the fan ran fine and so did the comp, but then i put the chip back in and nothing at all
Kougar
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Kougar »

I suppose it could be the processor, but I still think it is unlikely. What brand/model PSU is this?

No chance you have a second motherboard or CPU to test with?
Core i7 920 @ 4.2GHz 1.36v
Gigabyte GA-X58-UD5
Under Water