Question about overclocking an AMD 6000+ windsor & DDR speed

Discussions about AMD Processors and overclocking. Need help with that new AMD CPU or not sure which one to buy? Like to void your warranty? This is the place for you! Please keep the topic on Processors only!
/dev/null
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Question about overclocking an AMD 6000+ windsor & DDR speed

Post by /dev/null »

Hello, I recently upgraded my computer to an AMD 6000+ , which runs @ 3.0 ghz and am using ddr2-800 ram. I heard somewhere I may need to overclock my chip to take full advantage of the speed of my ram and ensure it is running @ full ddr2-800 speeds. I dont know how to either find out what speed my ram is currently running at or overclock it to the appropriate level, if it is necessary. What multipliers should I be looking at to determine the speed?

Thanks for any help you can provide!

/dev/null

p.s.- I had originally put this post in the general thread about a week ago but got no reply, hopefully one of you AMD heads has some input on this :)
DL13
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: Question about overclocking an AMD 6000+ windsor & DDR speed

Post by DL13 »

/dev/null wrote: I heard somewhere I may need to overclock my chip to take full advantage of the speed of my ram and ensure it is running @ full ddr2-800 speeds.
That's not true. What you do is manually enter the RAM specs in the BIOS to get the full potential of the RAM.
Gigabyte MA790FXTA-UD5 / Phenom II X3 720 @ 3.41Mhz / Mushkin 2X2GB 1333 / XFX 5870 1GB / Cooler Master HAF 932 / Win 7 Pro 64 / ACER G24 LCD 24"
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: Question about overclocking an AMD 6000+ windsor & DDR speed

Post by Major_A »

Considering the older X2's run out of room at the 3.2Ghz range your chip is almost as fast as it can go. Like DL13 said, make sure you have your RAM set to 800Mhz in the BIOS and call it a day. To find out where it is running now download CPU-Z and check for yourself.
http://www.cpuid.com/download/cpuz/cpuz_152.zip