Big OC?

Discussions about AMD Processors and overclocking. Need help with that new AMD CPU or not sure which one to buy? Like to void your warranty? This is the place for you! Please keep the topic on Processors only!
SlipSand
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Big OC?

Post by SlipSand »

Okay okay. Now that I have my Mushkin. And my OCZ powerstream 600W is on its way. And my DDR booster is also.
How high do you think I can go?

AMD XP 2500+ "Barton"
Abit NF7-S V2
Mushkin LVL II DDR 400 2x512mb
BFG 6800GT OC
SB Audigy 2 ZS Plat
120 GB Sata WD Caviar II SE
WD 40GB IDE

(I cant figure out how to get it to boot w/o the IDE drive. :cry: I will fix when I put Longhorn on.
Sovereign
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Sovereign »

You didn't mention your cooling. Stock air, water, aftermarket air, what? XPs run hot AFAIK, and I have a friend whose rig was well-cooled but he couldn't OC because his proc ran hot...good luck.
SlipSand
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by SlipSand »

Aftermarket AIR. Going to get a 120mm on my Alpha PAL 8450. Right now its a small 80mm. Only moving like 45cfm.
Bio-Hazard
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Bio-Hazard »

240x11, that's my guess.............. :shock: but maybe a bit lower......... 8)

Image[/img]
SlipSand
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by SlipSand »

Ehh I had it at 450 FSB already. Just hafta send back the PSU and DDR booster because they are both DeAD! :axe:
killswitch83
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by killswitch83 »

[quote="Bio-Hazard"]240x11, that's my guess.............. :shock: but maybe a bit lower......... 8)

what week processor did you end up with, because I got the shaft and ended up with a post-week 39 processor when I built my last system.
SlipSand
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by SlipSand »

mines unlocked. How far I dont know I have had it at 12 for a fact.
killswitch83
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by killswitch83 »

yeah, you were fortunate there; the 3200 barton I was talking about was post-week 40 and was locked, bridges embedded in the chip, the whole 9 yards. I could unlock it, but I don't see any sense in it since it's a customer's unit, he doesn't do much with it anyways. But if it were me, I would use the old conductive paint trick where you jump out certain bridges on the chip, then the clock can be unlocked (you could use the wire trick, but that's a lot more dangerous and very delicate because that wire can pull out pretty easily and short the processor).
LVCapo
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by LVCapo »

from what I've been told, from people at AMD and Intel....the week actually has little to do with the quality of your processor. what is more important is where it came from on the wafer....which you have no way of finding out.
killswitch83
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by killswitch83 »

oh ok, I was just wondering because I heard that AMD locked the multiplier on the chip after production week 39, and you could tell the week by the serial label on the chip. and I also heard about jumping the bridges with conductive paint from the same place, which is overclockers.com.
LVCapo
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by LVCapo »

things like that are true. When it comes down to the chip quality is what I was referring to.
killswitch83
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by killswitch83 »

I see what you're saying man, I'm with ya. Call it a brain fart :P
SlipSand
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by SlipSand »

Might get a mobile for the hell of it now that I have a car.
Bio-Hazard
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Bio-Hazard »

Mine that I got the good OC on was a late late retail chip from Comp USA.............. :shock: I got it the year after they locked the multi.............. 8)
It was a pretty strange chip, when I installed it and went into the bios, the first thing it ask me was if it was a 3200 or a 2500............... :shock: I set it to 3200 and had a auto OC to 3200 at all default settings......................... 8)
killswitch83
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by killswitch83 »

what board were you running the chip on? this board I was running was an MSI KT6V-LSR, which didn't have much room for OC'ing, so that could have had a little to do with it.
wuzy
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by wuzy »

I got mine to hit 252x10 with 1.975V on a modded EPoX 8RDA+ v1.1 plus water.(Benchmarkable too)
2.4Ghz is about the max most people hit with 1.85V using a high-end HSF.