Cool N Quiet

Discussions about AMD Processors and overclocking. Need help with that new AMD CPU or not sure which one to buy? Like to void your warranty? This is the place for you! Please keep the topic on Processors only!
Wavid
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Cool N Quiet

Post by Wavid »

i decided to disable CNQ to see if it would help performance (and it did), but even though my 955BE is running at full power all the time, if i keep my fan speed around 3400RPM then there's no noticeable difference in temperature. i'm wondering if this will kill the processor if i keep my settings at what they are..?

EDIT
also, i found out i have a C2 version of a 955 and not a C3. will this hurt my performance/efficiency in anyway?
DL13
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: Cool N Quiet

Post by DL13 »

Hi, what thermal past are you using and what is your temp??

The only difference with the c2 & c3 is the c3 is more OC friendly than the c2. So the performance/efficiency is not hurt.
Gigabyte MA790FXTA-UD5 / Phenom II X3 720 @ 3.41Mhz / Mushkin 2X2GB 1333 / XFX 5870 1GB / Cooler Master HAF 932 / Win 7 Pro 64 / ACER G24 LCD 24"
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

It won't kill it. CnQ is for people who don't want MAX POWER at all times. Every AMD rig I've owned since my A64 3000+ Winchester has had CnQ disabled. Turn it back on if... you want your CPU to run cooler (genereally), save a few bucks a year on your electricity bill or you are a "green" person and like saving the planet.
Wavid
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by Wavid »

i'll just keep it enabled then...if i can save some money a month then i'll get a little extra to spend on some modding stuff maybe..

and i'm using the boxed cooling solution.
So if i upgrade to a decent ~$40 HS/F, can i run that at low-ish speeds and keep my idle temps around the same, minus C'N'Q?