Ancient PC OC'ing

Discussions about AMD Processors and overclocking. Need help with that new AMD CPU or not sure which one to buy? Like to void your warranty? This is the place for you! Please keep the topic on Processors only!
lordvic
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Ancient PC OC'ing

Post by lordvic »

It's still the summer and some of us (including myself) have some time on our hands.
I have a old PC sitting around, just waiting to be trashed...and the idea of overclocking it came into my head.
Here are the specs:
- AMD Athlon XP 1700+ 1466Mhz Thoroughbred Socket A(462) 256KB L2 cache Model 8, Stepping 1, Revision B0
- Gigabyte 7ZXE 1.0 motherboard with VIA KT133A Rev.03 Chipset, AGP 4X slot, American Megatrends BIOS, (supports up to 1.5GB of RAM lol)
- 512MB (256 + 256) PC-133 SDRAM CAS3 3.3v. I have a bunch more lying around...somewhere
- Classic...nVidia TNT2 Model 64 rev.15 !!! I can exchange this with my Radeon 9800Pro that's in my closet...finally putting it to use again.

I've done some reading and many say the T-breds are great overclockers. Several motherboards can actually unlock the multiplier, so i want to give it a try with my Gigabtye board with a more to-up-date BIOS. Interesting enough, Gigabyte still have BIOS available for this board on their site.

I read about unlocking the multiplier with a "wire in the socket trick", and..."CPU L bridge trick??" :?

I decide to ask some of you veterans and enthusiasts...and everybody else on this site for any helpful tips and hints on overclocking this old CPU hella. :) :)

EDIT: anyways, I continued and started OC'ing this PC. I uped the RAM to 768MB...found some lying around, Updated the BIOS to the latest one (2003 haha) and started adjusting the FSB in the BIOS. Got it to 1.71GHz (11 x 155) which was stable running Prime95; Bringing the FSB to 160 was unstable. I've Decided to do the CPU pin mod to unlock the multi if my T-bred "B" already doesn't have the "L3 "connected already (some say T-bred "B" were never locked). If it really is already unlocked, I'll try the mobo mod; one thing's for sure: the mobo or the CPU is not allowing the multi/voltages to be changed. :)
Cooler Master HAF 932 // Phenom II 1090T @ 4.1GHz (not 110% stable) // ASUS Crosshair V Formula 990FX // Thermaltake Frio CPU Cooler // Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 @ 1150/1500 // 8GB (2X4GB) G.Skill RipJaws + 8GB (2X4GB) G.Skill RipJawsX @1600 8-9-8-21-1T // Corsair TX850 // Corsair ForceGT 120GB SSD // Kingston V200+ 120GB SSD // WD Caviar Black 1TB // LiteON DVD-RW // Windows 7 Ult. 64-bit