Cool N Quiet Question

Discussions about AMD Processors and overclocking. Need help with that new AMD CPU or not sure which one to buy? Like to void your warranty? This is the place for you! Please keep the topic on Processors only!
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Cool N Quiet Question

Post by Major_A »

Let's say I have CnQ turned on to have the CPU throttle down the speed and voltage. Is there a way to make the processor only work at the lowest clock/voltage? I know that I can underclock the system but that isn't always an option with older boards.

Basically my parents just got a new TV last week. Samsung wants $80 for their wireless card, but it can be found online for $55. Still in an effort to be cheap I'd like to connect to the the router and share the wireless connection with the TV. Right now I have a socket 754 Sempron 64 hooked up to do this but the processor or motherboard (it's a cheap ECS board) doesn't support CnQ. I have an Athlon 64 3000+ 939 processor sitting around but no motherboard for it. According to my Kill-A-Watt meter the Sempron system acting as an internet gateway to the TV is pulling 90W at the wall. I'd imagine that if I get the Athlon 64 running I could shave off even more power consumption.
DragonFury
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: Cool N Quiet Question

Post by DragonFury »

90 watts of power usage is not that much. I say run it stock. just put a good HSF on it call it a day
Mini ME
Is in a state of flux....
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

Already has an aftermarket HSF (Zalman CNPS7000B-ALCU). The power consumption seems excessive since it's an entire computer just so a TV can have Internet capabilities.
DragonFury
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DragonFury »

whats excessive is when you put a core i5 750 @ 4 ghz with 2 x 5750's as an HTPC. 400+ watts at full load and about 110ish doing HTPC stuff (internet, movies).
Mini ME
Is in a state of flux....