s939 Opterons

Discussions about AMD Processors and overclocking. Need help with that new AMD CPU or not sure which one to buy? Like to void your warranty? This is the place for you! Please keep the topic on Processors only!
pastorjay
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by pastorjay »

Good to see you pointreyes! :)
Good to have you here at Legit!
I knew it was you, unique nic! :supz:
FZ1

Post by FZ1 »

Tankguys is now saying he has confirmed (secondhand) from AMD that they will no longer be selling the Opteron 1xx CPU's outside of full systems. Read about it here - ANANDTECH.
Joe
pointreyes
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by pointreyes »

Wow! Glad I have my 175 coming to me today! Being a former dual Opteron owner and having an Athlon64 4000 in my laptop, I really wanted to get another Opteron instead of an Athlon64. Have three systems and each one with different procs (yes, I'm a nutcase). :rolleyes:
pointreyes
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by pointreyes »

Well this is the 175 Opteron I recieved yesterday:
CCBWE 0530TPMW

Now if I could just get a blasted motherboard to work. :roll:
First mobo attempt: SCSI will not boot
Second mobo attempt: No boot at all
FZ1

Post by FZ1 »

Got my 175 as well - CCBWE 0541 RPMW (which is supposedly not one of the better ones :cry: ). I primed 8 hours @ 2664 (9 x 296) but at 1.525v. I have just started messing with it though. I was hoping to get at least what I was getting on my 3500+ winny ~ 2650 but at closer to std volts.
Joe
Thor
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by Thor »

Bumped my 165 to 9x278 today (2.5) so far so good at 1.375 volts. Don't think I'm going to push it any higher, since it is crammed into a shuttle SN25P and I really don't want to have to bump the voltage anymore. CCBWE 0534 stepping.
EvilCloudStrife
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by EvilCloudStrife »

i ordered 2 opteron 144 from monarch today. get them before they are gone for good (thats the rumor atleast)
FZ1

Post by FZ1 »

Ugh..I can get one core stable at 2700mhz plus but the other I haven't been able to get stable anywhere over 2650. I think I had them both stable at 2630 or so. :( Dual cores can be a pain I guess.
Joe
FZ1

Post by FZ1 »

Got my second Opty 175 CCBWE 0546. Looks like it'll get 2.8 pretty easy. Priming 2862 tonight...I'm much happier with this one.
Joe
gvblake22
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by gvblake22 »

Vstrom wrote:Got my second Opty 175 CCBWE 0546. Looks like it'll get 2.8 pretty easy. Priming 2862 tonight...I'm much happier with this one.
Wow, nice results man! You are definately addicted to those Opty's! :rolleyes:
What are your temps like at that speed? What voltage you pumpin though that for 2862 mhz?
FZ1

Post by FZ1 »

Temps on water are high 30's . Right now I have almost 1.6v going but I'm not going any higher than that. Prime crapped out on me at that speed so I have dropped it back to 9x316 to see what happens.
Joe
FZ1

Post by FZ1 »

Alrighty, got a stable system now...
ImageImage Image

Gonna have to change my sig again dammit. :) I'm not done yet though. I'm thinking of taking off my IHS. The ITE temps are a little misleading on the screen shot. I left the window open all day and when I came in the was 50F in here. It was about 60F when I took the screenshot so they are artifically low. I'm getting high 30's under load.
Joe
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

Sweet!! Damn nice chip!
High 30's under load, That's what I get with 2.6....I know it's a 4400 but, the same cpu really!
Does your temps take a big jump when upping the vcore? Once I go to 1.55v my temps jump by @5-6C(It's like someone flicks a switch), after that it goes up just a bit...seems 1.55v is my sweet spot...
I was thinking of removing the IHS too....I doubt it will help OC any, but should drop temps a bit!
FZ1

Post by FZ1 »

I kinda jumped straight from stock to a fairly high setting so I'm not sure about the jump but I have heard of that being mitigated by the IHS removal.
Joe
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

I'll porb remove the IHS when I swap over to the Lanparty expert board, which hopefully will be this friday ;)
FZ1

Post by FZ1 »

I have seen a big thread about issues with the Expert board killing chips. I only half read the thread on DFI-street but you might want to check it out.
Joe
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

Nahh I read that B4, and now again. It refers to a thread over on XS. A few cpu's were killed, mostly on the ATI boards, but 1 expert board. both boards share the same power layout that's all (I hope)
Anyhow, It's ordered....
FZ1

Post by FZ1 »

Well, took off the IHS today. The result? He's dead, Jim. Don't know what went wrong...I can find no damage other than some discoloration that was present BEFORE I installed without it. Here are a few pics taken immediately following removal.

You can see the discoloration in both pics. Not sure if this has anything to do with it or not since it was present when I opened the thing but it's all I can see. I get 4 LEDs on the board and no boot. I put my winny back in and it boots fine. I even tried putting the IHS back on and no luck. :cry: :cry: :cry:
Joe
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

ohhh nooooo......
Are you CERTAIN it's brown bread???
I'm not sure, but had you enough force applied on the cpu core when you put the block on? Ive seen boards that won't boot unless it detects a HSF on the cpu....Mayby you need a shim????

Otherwise......condolences for your losses......When is the funeral? Instead of burial @ sea, I'd say make a nice key ring...

Now I'm thinking twice about removing my IHS.....Did it "feel" glued or stuck to the top of the IHS or is the goop on the IHS stickey?

I see on your second pic you scrached the substrate/pcb (top right corner)
that must have caused it?
killswitch83
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by killswitch83 »

kenc51 wrote:ohhh nooooo......
Are you CERTAIN it's brown bread???
I'm not sure, but had you enough force applied on the cpu core when you put the block on? Ive seen boards that won't boot unless it detects a HSF on the cpu....Mayby you need a shim????

Otherwise......condolences for your losses......When is the funeral? Instead of burial @ sea, I'd say make a nice key ring...

Now I'm thinking twice about removing my IHS.....Did it "feel" glued or stuck to the top of the IHS or is the goop on the IHS stickey?

I see on your second pic you scrached the substrate/pcb (top right corner)
that must have caused it?
ashes to ashes, dust to dust.....damn shame that happened man.....real expensive processor for that to happen to....like Ken said, it would make for a good key ring at least :rolleyes: