s939 Opterons

Discussions about AMD Processors and overclocking. Need help with that new AMD CPU or not sure which one to buy? Like to void your warranty? This is the place for you! Please keep the topic on Processors only!
FZ1

Post by FZ1 »

Awww hell. Maybe, I dunno what that would do. Well, if that is why at least I feel better I know why it doesn't work. Either way, I ordered another one. :oops: Hopefully I get the same or better stepping.

I'm not happy about it but I knew the risks and made the decision to do it. No sense crying over spilled milk.:rolleyes: I did find an easy way to help get it off...once you do a cut around (less than 3mm deep) get some dental floss and use it to cut through the rest. I'm not sure you'll wanna follow my example though but I read a few places on the web where ppl have been doing that with success.
Joe
Pooreone
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by Pooreone »

Well you guys convinced me. My Opty 170 should be here Wednesday. Not gonna go crazy OCing it but looking forward to playing around with it. This is my first 64 proc so I'm excited.
gvblake22
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by gvblake22 »

Pooreone wrote:Well you guys convinced me. My Opty 170 should be here Wednesday. Not gonna go crazy OCing it but looking forward to playing around with it. This is my first 64 proc so I'm excited.
THAT'S AWESOME! Let us know what you think of it? What processor are you upgrading from? If it is a single core -> dual core, let us know (subjectively or quantitatively) what you think of the switch :)
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

Pooreone wrote:Well you guys convinced me. My Opty 170 should be here Wednesday. Not gonna go crazy OCing it but looking forward to playing around with it. This is my first 64 proc so I'm excited.
=D>
FZ1

Post by FZ1 »

=D> Welcome to the club! :partyman:
Joe
pointreyes
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by pointreyes »

Looks like I will have to sell my Opteron 175. :cry:

It appears that there is no AMD or Intel nForce4 board that supports my software/hardware combination. Had to switch to an Intel chipset and dual-core Intel proc. :cry:

I'm using Avid 7 Pro, this is a $1,000 product. Giving up the product is not a option to use an Opteron.
FZ1

Post by FZ1 »

What stepping?
Joe
pointreyes
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by pointreyes »

Vstrom wrote:What stepping?
CCBWE 0530TPMW - E6.
Bwall
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Bwall »

I finally decided to post in this thread. I got one of the first 15 939 Opterons a few months ago.

I just got my 4th Opteron on Saturday and it's my first dual core processor. These things rock!

I have
146 0530 CABNE -This was the first one, which sadly died. My waterblock bolt broke while running at 3.1 GHz

2- 148's a 0530 CABNE and a 0543 FPMW (i think that's the letter code.)
Each do 2.9 GHz on air with stock volts. I haven't found max OC because I'm not after bragging rights, just better performance for only a little $$$.

165 0546 CCBWE - So far it does 2.4 on stock volts with the baby cooler that comes with the 3000+. Can't go any higher because of the heat, eagerly awaiting better cooling.
pointreyes
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by pointreyes »

I figured out a way to keep my Opteron 175! :)

I'm replacing my dual Xeon with the a server-class dual-core Opteron system. :) I know that might sound strange but it's because I will have considerably faster RAM and the Opty 175 AFAIK is faster than 2x2.66 533FSB Xeons.

The mobo is a Supermicro with PCI-X and PCIe which is perfect for my RAIDCore controller. :)
Pooreone
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by Pooreone »

[quote="gvblake22
What processor are you upgrading from? If it is a single core -> dual core, let us know (subjectively or quantitatively) what you think of the switch :)[/quote]

I just checked and UPS has delivered it. I get off work in 1 more hour. I am upgrading from a 2500 Barton with 2 x 512Mb of PC2700. I also got 2 x 1Gb sticks of Corsair XMS PC4000 to go with the Opty.
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

sweet! Let us know how the Opteron 170 does!
Thor
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by Thor »

My 165 is a beast. Currently running stable at 2.5 (9*278) (ccbwe 0534) at stock voltage while crammed into my shuttle. I have the shuttle's auto fan speed set to hold the temps at or below 50C, keeps it quiet while not under load as the ICE cooler can hold about 46 with the fans throttled down, and it holds about 51 under full load with the fans at max. This is with 3 HDDs, a 7800GTX KO, and 2gb of XMS pro on a 166 divider. I am quite happy with how this little box turned out, and it blows away a 6k alienware ALX with an 4800+ that we have at work.

Nothing like tunring a 300 dollar processor into a 900 dollar one :lol:
gvblake22
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by gvblake22 »

Thor wrote:Nothing like tunring a 300 dollar processor into a 900 dollar one :lol:
HAHAHA, heck yeah! :supz:

...and I'm looking forward to your results Pooreone! :mrgreen:
FZ1

Post by FZ1 »

Peoplel are getting stepping 0530 from Monarch on the 170's. I ordered one and if it's a 0530 I'm going to sell one of my 175's. If not, I'm pretty sure I can get back what I paid for it.
Joe
Pooreone
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by Pooreone »

Finally got everything working. Was having BIOS issues not recognizing the CPY and then sound issues. Now everything is working and just running stock it's a big improvement. This is the syste

ASRock 939Dual-SATA2
Opteron 170
Gigaram mach1000 2 x 1GB DDR 500
XFX APG 6600GT (from old PC)

The video card is the reason I got this board. It works great and I can't see wasting the money just to get a PCIe card. This board supports AGP and PCIe so I can upgrade that later.

I have been looking over the BIOS and I must say I see some settings in there that do not look familar. I've read the board OC well but I'm going to have to figure out what the settings are. Such as CPU-NB Link Speed and NB-SB Link Speed. I know NB-SB Link Speed is the speed between North Bridge and South Bridge and CPU-NB Link Speed is the speed between the CPU and North Bridge but what effect do they have when OCing? I have read just to set the CPU-NB/NB-SB Link Width to 16 but what about link speed. I don't remember ever seeing settings like this before.

Also, have you guys ever used A64Tweaker? It was recommended to use that to change the dividers. I've been reading a lot over at OCWorkbench. They have a forum just for this board. The FAQ is located http://www.ocworkbench.com/ocwb/ultimat ... /5271.html IF anyone is board and wants to look it over let me know what you think.

Reading the Overclocking A64 article by infinitevalence was very helpful. Nice article!