Lookie at what I got!!!

Discussions about AMD Processors and overclocking. Need help with that new AMD CPU or not sure which one to buy? Like to void your warranty? This is the place for you! Please keep the topic on Processors only!
pastorjay
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by pastorjay »

OK, final prime screen

Gonna run a SuperPi now
pastorjay
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by pastorjay »

Super Pi 32mb

Heretic
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by Heretic »

runs hot...but I say the 3ghz is well worth it :P
killswitch83
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by killswitch83 »

yeah, no joke, lol. 51C is pretty warm, but if you compare it to a Socket A 3200+ Barton Core (I know I shouldn't be comparing the two, but hell, lol), that temp is good under load. The barton I built for a buddy ran like 49C at idle and 55C under load with AS 5 and stock HSF. System temp was good, just the proc temp was way tooo high, lol. Considering they've made the A64 chips to run cooler, that's one hell of an OC with decent temps 8)
Sovereign
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Sovereign »

Wow, my processor won't OC 200MHz and I have an XP90 on it...:sad:
Play
Q6600 @ 3.2GHz :: 8GB DDR2-800 :: eVGA 9800GX2 :: 7900GTX (secondary) :: abit IP35 Pro :: 150GB Raptor 10k RPM :: 2x750GB WD Caviar :: 120GB WD :: X-Fi XtremeMusic :: NEC 4551A :: BenQ DVD Combodrive (52x32x52) :: Dual 22" Acer AL2216W :: Thermaltake Armor Black :: Logitech Z5500 5.1

Work
Core 2 Duo @ 2.53GHz :: 4GB DDR3 @ 1067MHz :: 3670 :: Intel PM45 Chipset :: 500GB 5400RPM SATA :: Integrated Audio :: BD-ROM/DVD Burner :: 16" 1920x1080 RGBLED
pastorjay
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by pastorjay »

Hehe.... hot is all relative. Compared to an Intel dual core EE I had this summer, this thing is freezing!

Anyways, 51*C at load was also with my house at the warmest I let it get.... Loads went down to about 47 once I lowered the temp again.

And I will take 51*c anyday with a 3ghz chip, that is for sure!
FZ1

Post by FZ1 »

CPU-Z says 1.48v but I don't trust it...what's your BIOS set to? What MB are you using?
Joe
JasonE4
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by JasonE4 »

What type of cooling are you using? 51 C is pretty hot for an A64.
FZ1

Post by FZ1 »

JasonE4 wrote:What type of cooling are you using? 51 C is pretty hot for an A64.
pastorjay wrote:Using water guys. A Corsair "COOL" system. Have blocks on my chipset and CPU.

These Opterons are nice little clockers.... at least some of them are. They can be pretty spordic, though these CABYE 0540 seem to be pretty good.
:goodman:
Joe
pastorjay
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by pastorjay »

I am running my Opty on a DFI NF4 UT SLI-D

Bios fluctuates between 1.48-1.51
FZ1

Post by FZ1 »

Nice job, man! Are you cooling just the CPU or the chipset too? I was thinking of going the water route but I'd like to cool the chipset too and where the chipset is located, the only part that most folks find to fit it are from Germany. Having never water cooled before, I think I'd rather go with a kit to get my feet wet (sorry, bad pun!). :mrgreen:
Joe
pastorjay
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by pastorjay »

I am using the Corsair COOL. Cooling the CPU AND the CHipset with it.
FZ1

Post by FZ1 »

Are you using SLI? If not, which PCI-E slot are you using? The 16x slot is directly above the chipset which is a pain. Pics please! Am I being demanding??? :lol: If the Corsair block fits works on the chipset with the GPU on in the 16x slot (stock) I'm there! 8)
Joe
killswitch83
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by killswitch83 »

you know, if that WC kit allows for mix and match waterblocks, there are Koolance blocks that has the compression fittings oriented straight-up rather than at a 90-degree angle like most of them....I think if it went straight up there really wouldn't be much in the way.
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

depends on how big the block is
I run a GTX and the card covers the sock cooler on my DFI...There is only ~2mm space above the fan

Innovatek make xxflow rev.2 gpu blocks, which i have my eye on, you can get them with fittings with and without a 90-degree bend in the fittings...
As killswitch said, the fittings is what gets in the way.
Innovatek are german but i think you can get them in the states.

pastorjay --> are you using the upper or lower GFX card slot on the board?
If you using the top (16x) slot AND a waterblock, which GFX card are you using??? I suspect your using an ATI card, which have a small PCB
pastorjay
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by pastorjay »

I am using the bottom slot. As you already know, you cannot use the Corsair "COOL" block that they sell on the NB and use the top slot.

I tested both slots with the block off, and I got very little if any difference in scores on every test I ran. I am looking ofrward to a DFI board that will eliminat this problem when using NV cards.

By the way, I am using a 7800GT atm.

Vstrom - I will try and get some pics tonight.

PJ
FZ1

Post by FZ1 »

Yeah, I tested out the botton slot (I moved the jumpers making it 8x not 2) and I noticed a 1-2% hit on 3DMark (I averaged 3 runs).

That's a bummer of a design. I replaced the DFI chipset fan with an evercool VC-RE and it is MUCH quiter and does a better job of cooling. I'd recommend it if you are using air. I'm about 42c idle with std voltage. OC'ing and kicking it up a tenth (1.5 - 1.6v I think) it runs about 48-49 at load. With the DFI fan, I was pushing mid to high 50's at load which is way to much for my liking (didn't seem to affect stability).
Joe
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

I thing the Lanparty "Expert" has a larger gap between the PCie slots, better for SLI, but I think it also will allow a water block on the chipset?
pastorjay
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by pastorjay »

As far as the Expert board goes, I am hoping the water block will fit. I plan on getting myhands on one of those boards soon!
FZ1

Post by FZ1 »

I think I saw somewhere on DFi street where peeps were having issues with the expert board and opterons? I know I saw something but I didn't read the thread. Could be a user error :roll:
Joe