CPU watt(s) question ???

Discussions about AMD Processors and overclocking. Need help with that new AMD CPU or not sure which one to buy? Like to void your warranty? This is the place for you! Please keep the topic on Processors only!
[email protected]
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

CPU watt(s) question ???

Post by [email protected] »

How does the CPU watt rating effect the system? I'm upgrading from a low watt 45w single core CPU to a newer dual core 95w CPU. Do I have to change/upgrade the power supply?

Also are AM2 and AM2+ the same?

Is an AM2+ CPU compatible with an AM2 motherboard?

Pete
smack323
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: CPU watt(s) question ???

Post by smack323 »

it depends on your current power supply. my gut feeling is if your only increasing that small amount you most likely wont need to upgrade the power suppy. Also look up your model number for the mother board to find out if it supprts the AM2+ processor. Most will support both but it doesnt hurt to check and be safe.
Core i5-6500 - Corsair Vengence 16GB DDR4 2133 - MSI 2080Ti - Antec 750W - Crucial 525GB SSD - Windows 10 64bit - ASUS 32" LED
brohandy
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by brohandy »

Do the watts of the power supply only matter for the processor, or does it all have to be the same? What're the perimeters for that type of thing? Like is there a range of 80-120 watts, then 120-150 watts or something?
BUY GREEN TEA AT REPUBLIC OF TEA FOR AN AMAZING SELCTION
DragonFury
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DragonFury »

if lets say your system is only using 300 Watts of power and you are running a 600+ wattage PSU, then no you wouldn't need to change the PSU. if your current system using 300 watts and you are using a 400 WATT PSU then yes it would need to be. Or if the PSU is of a low quality no name brand, then i would recommend a PSU change out.
Mini ME
Is in a state of flux....