What is a good overclock with stock cooling for a 4000+?

Discussions about AMD Processors and overclocking. Need help with that new AMD CPU or not sure which one to buy? Like to void your warranty? This is the place for you! Please keep the topic on Processors only!
dgood
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

What is a good overclock with stock cooling for a 4000+?

Post by dgood »

I have an athlon 64 4000+ san diego, and I wanted to know waht is a good overclock adn what settings are they that is multiplyer, ram speed, and other things, in order to get me to it safely?
gvblake22
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by gvblake22 »

I wish I could tell you that, but every system is different, and therefor will overclock differently. Even between specific processors of the same model, the overclock can very drastically. So none of us are going to be able to tell you what your best stettings are, you have to find that out for yourself, that's the joy (or frustration) of overclocking! :mrgreen:

But I can give you a start. Since you are on stock cooling, you should keep your voltage at stock (or auto) in the BIOS. You might as well leave the multiplier at 12 (which is the stock multiplier for the 4000 San Diego). You should also disable AMD's cool and quiet funtionality in order to achieve the most stable overclock.
Beyond that, you will need to list the rest of your exact components (model numbers, etc) in order for us to give you accurate information (like RAM timings and voltages).

The biggest key with overclocking is patience. You cannot just assemble your system, turn it on, go straight into the BIOS, and set it at a 50% overclock and expect it to work right (if at all). you have to increase the speed in small increments and test for stability each time. Even with each speed increase, there are numerious combinations of settings that can give you that particular speed, so it is important to try and test as many combinations of settings as possible in order to find the most stable and best performing setting for your particular computer and hardware.

Hope this helps.
dgood
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

I am trying going to try to get somewhere between 2.8-3.0ghz

Post by dgood »

does anyone think its possible to get those speeds from my 4000+ san diego with stock cooling in my case with liek 5 case fans. I could get some artic silver on it too if you think I need it. what fsb/ht/multiplier would be best I nkow ht shouldn't really go above 1000mhz though isn't that right?
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

What type / make of ram and power supply are you using? -> there should be a sticker on them

We need to know what hardware your using before we can answers to specific questions..

Keep this link for reference too...
http://forums.legitreviews.com/viewtopic.php?t=2052
dgood
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by dgood »

I have 4x512mb of patriot pc3200 ram, its patriot signature series can be foudn here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6820220037
and I have a rosewill extreme edition R502 500watt powersupply. I definatly have enough power to do some tweaking. however I don't know exactly waht I'm doing now that theres the HT bus and all of that. I knew what to do on the athlon xps that I've had my 1700+ and my 2200+. which neither of them oc'd very well. However I know that the 64's withe the san diego cores can oc well. I was thinking about trying to get it to 2.8 or even 3 if you don't think it'd get too hot with stock cooling. 2.8 would be acceptable. 400 mhz gain. Any ideas.