Upgrading from AMD 2600

Discussions about AMD Processors and overclocking. Need help with that new AMD CPU or not sure which one to buy? Like to void your warranty? This is the place for you! Please keep the topic on Processors only!
amorrin
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Upgrading from AMD 2600

Post by amorrin »

Just wondering if anyone could help me, as im a bit behind on the latest CPU technology. im planning to upgrade my PC, and have just bought an asus A8V Deluxe (socket 939) board. My current system is an A7N8X Deluxe with a SocketA AMD 2600 onboard. This is the standard vanilla 2600 that came out about 2 years ago. my question is (i'll get there eventually :) ) is what kind of performance difference can I expect to see between the 2600 and the AMD 64 3700? From what I can make out there is only a clock difference of 100Mhz (the 2600 is 2.1Ghz, and the 3700 is 2.2Ghz) between the two, although im aware that nowadays clock speed is not the defining factor in processors. Cheers
cre8
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by cre8 »

You will see alot of performance change.
killswitch83
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by killswitch83 »

Yeah, especially if you're referring to the Athlon 64 3700+ San Diego.....it has on-die memory controller, as well as 1 MB of L2 cache, so yes you will see a good deal of performance increase out of it, and I would recommend OC'ing it as well, as it performs pretty well in that category from what I understand. Good overall chip IMO for the price. :)
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

you'll see about a 30% increase in performance from the cpu alone if not more!!!! Then the fact you changing motherboard etc. this will only add to the performance too!!!
As Kilswitch said, the 3700+ is a damn fine chip.....it should OC nicely (it's a FX in discuise)
Dragon_Cooler
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Dragon_Cooler »

plus it is the FSB differance that will help. 64bit doesnt really have a FSB like the old athlons do. they use the clock speed sort of to carry the data. so it will be like going from a 333mhzfsb to a 1000mhzfsb in a way.
TK421
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by TK421 »

DragonCooler wrote:plus it is the FSB differance that will help. 64bit doesnt really have a FSB like the old athlons do. they use the clock speed sort of to carry the data. so it will be like going from a 333mhzfsb to a 1000mhzfsb in a way.
On that note, be sure your RAM is compatible to match it's FSB to avoid bottlenecking that killer processor!

After reading the new RAM article that was just posted, slap in 2GB of RAM and you're good to go!
Stormtrooper TK421
amorrin
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by amorrin »

thanks for all the help guys. ive got 1.5gb of pc3200 ram to go in, so that should do the trick :-)