Need help with computer

Discussions about AMD Processors and overclocking. Need help with that new AMD CPU or not sure which one to buy? Like to void your warranty? This is the place for you! Please keep the topic on Processors only!
topsub
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Need help with computer

Post by topsub »

SPECS
Duel 19inch ViewSonic VX924
C3 Acrylic Case ( 21x 8 x 18 )
AMD x2 4800
asus a8n sli deluxe
7800 GTX 256
2gig Corsair XMS
76gig 10k Rap
OCZ 600 watt sli edition
X-FI Blaster
6x Blue Fans and Cathode Kit
All wires black sleeved

Finally got home and got my os, I have everything in it my fx card sound card fan controlers and cd roms.

Went to boot it up and......... NOTHING... The single fx card is in the top slot with the single driver slot in the mobo, i put just 1 ram stick in it to begain with.

Right when i boot up the computer/ turn it on the keys on the keyboard light up, ( caps lock, scroll lock, num lock) then they turn off, well if i hit the caps key nothing happens.

No clue whats going on, any advice??

thanks,
bigblockmatt
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by bigblockmatt »

umm, maybe check to make sure that you have connected teh ocrrect wires for botting on the mobo. i know i put the wrong wire on the mobo to boot it which made nothing work. i would assume it is the same basic stuff for all mobo's. all them little wire that connect the mobo to the case can get miss plugged.
comp specs- too lazy to make a cool looking sig... MB:GIGABYTE GA-MA790XT-UD4P, AMD Phenom II X3 720 Black Edition 2.8Ghz, CORSAIR TW3X4G1333C9DHX 4GB PC3-10666, ASUS Radeon HD 4870 512MB, SB audigy gamer, WESTERN DIGITAL Caviar Black 500GB, antec P180 case (extra 120mm fan and 80mm fan), Corsair HX Series 620W: ASSEMBLED June 2009
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

Have you tried different ram slots?

Make sure there is nothing causing a short on or behind the motherboard....a screw could have fallen behind or something....

You could try reseating the cpu...
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

Go ahdead make sure the board isn't shorting out on the bottom side of the case. Some new cases come with pre-installed motherboard screw-in studs that if not used may cause a board to not ground correctly. Also make sure you plugged in all the power supply connectors to your board. The 24-pin ATX and the additional 12V header need to be installed. Also by chance make sure the CMOS clear jumper is in the correct position. Let us know what you figure out!
FZ1

Post by FZ1 »

When you do the above, only attach the minimum amount of hardware needed to boot (i.e. - 1 stick of RAM, no X-fi, etc).
Joe
gvblake22
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by gvblake22 »

Yeah, follow what everyone else said too.
Is there anything else that the computer does? Are there any beeps? Do the fans spin up? Are there any LED's lit up on your motherboard?
topsub
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by topsub »

No beeps, all the fans spin but that could be cuzi have them hooked into a fancontroller thats getting power right from the psu.

I will try it again so min hardware woudl be

Fx
DVD rom
1stick ram
psu
keyboard
mouse
cpu wtih cpu ran only
hard drive

is that all?
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

Just last night I tried a PSU on the SFI n4F Expert board and the fans and lights came on for a split second and stopped working. Moved over to a different PSU and they worked. I had a bad PSU.

Run just this...

Motherboard
Video Card
Processor
Processor Heat Sink
Memory
and the Power Supply of course

Skip EVERYTHING else
Last edited by Apoptosis on Wed Jan 11, 2006 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
FZ1

Post by FZ1 »

No mem?
Joe
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

oppps :axe:
Kerii
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Kerii »

Well, doing it without the memory would work also right?

At least that way you could determine if the motherboard is faulty (i.e. not reporting problems when there's no memory).

Disk spins and fan whirs.
My system starts to boot now.
Long beeps... RAM is bad. :mrgreen:
topsub
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by topsub »

thanks alot guys you been alot of help soon as i get off work around 3:30ish i will try that out.. I have alot of money sitting in the floor on brand new stuff. Have to see if its bad...
FZ1

Post by FZ1 »

Kerii wrote:Well, doing it without the memory would work also right?

At least that way you could determine if the motherboard is faulty (i.e. not reporting problems when there's no memory).

Disk spins and fan whirs.
My system starts to boot now.
Long beeps... RAM is bad. :mrgreen:
as part of the POST process, it should test for the prescence of RAM and whether it is bad or not present, POST will error the same way at the same step in the process (at least in my experience).
Joe
topsub
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by topsub »

well i got it working don't want to say why it wasn't working cuz its one of the stupid things i did.