AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 1.3.2 Driver vs 1.1.4 Optimizer

Discussions about AMD Processors and overclocking. Need help with that new AMD CPU or not sure which one to buy? Like to void your warranty? This is the place for you! Please keep the topic on Processors only!
m5000
Legit User
Legit User

AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 1.3.2 Driver vs 1.1.4 Optimizer

Post by m5000 »

Hi,

I'd appreciate some help. I've got AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core (4800+), WinXP, Geforce 7900 GTX (bought in 2006).

1. I've always used the AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor Driver v1.3.2 which I downloaded and installed in 2006. Is it really necessary to use it? I mean, I'm going to reinstall my system very soon and I was wondering what would happen if I didn't install it at all. Would my comp crash or something?

2. I've recently discovered something that is called AMD Dual-Core Optimizer v1.1.4 http://support.amd.com/us/psearch/Pages ... =&items=20. I was looking around on the AMD website to see if there are any updates on the 1.3.2 Processor Driver (which I mentioned above in 1) and by accident I bumped into this 1.1.4 Optimizer. Interestingly, I didn't find the 1.3.2 Driver there, so it looks like it's no longer available..., and maybe no longer supported? Since I didn't find the 1.3.2 Driver on the AMD website and I did find the 1.1.4 Optimizer I thought that perhaps the Optimizer is some sort of new and improved version of the Driver. Anyway, do you guys know if this 1.1.4 Optimizer is worth installing? Besides, is it a replacement for the 1.3.2 driver (by that I mean is it necessary to uninstall the 1.3.2 Driver first before installing the 1.1.4. Optimizer), or can (should) they be installed and work together at the same time?

Any thoughts appreciated :)

Thank you for your time and assistance,
m

PS
I think that the 1.1.4 Optimizer is more recent that the 1.3.2 Driver. I downloaded the driver in 2006, whereas it seems that the optimizer is from 2008 (this date is on the AMD website), and it was updated this year.
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 1.3.2 Driver vs 1.1.4 Optimiz

Post by Major_A »

If I recall correctly it basically makes the two cores play nice in video games. Before the driver some games would stutter like crazy. They released the driver and it fixed the processor scheduling and the games stopped stuttering (Windows XP is the only OS that needs it, Vista and 7 have fixed the issue). If you don't install the driver then Windows Update will do it for you, so yeah it's kind of important. The 2 bolded apps you have listed are the same software just different names. Hope that helps and welcome to the forums.