Installed a Phenom II x4 965 - crashing/overclocking?

Discussions about AMD Processors and overclocking. Need help with that new AMD CPU or not sure which one to buy? Like to void your warranty? This is the place for you! Please keep the topic on Processors only!
hypernexus
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Installed a Phenom II x4 965 - crashing/overclocking?

Post by hypernexus »

Hi everyone.

Bottom line,I have just installed a new AMD Phenom II x4 965 3.4ghz quad(it's showing 4ghz on core temp and windows index) Black Edition, upgraded from my Athlon 64 x2 chip. I have an am2+ mobo, that was flashed for am3 by previous user for his 6 core.

The installation was correct, no problem booting etc, temperatures all good, but I am getting constant crashes on programs that were absolutely fine yesterday and from before. Even firefox crashes, but mainly a few games like Prince of Persia and Warframe as examples. Both of these games run absolutely fine before the new install.

I did a SiSandra check, and it came up at the end of the spec saying ' FSB exceeds Chipset rated speed - reduce FSB', 'memory hole may not be required-check bios settings' 'tpm not detected'. Sisandra also did not seem to recognise the Phenom, still listing the athlon? (core temp and windows do recognise the Phenom)

Now, the only thing that springs to mind is that, as this is a Black edition, it may be already in overclock - the specs are showing it as a 4ghz whereas as standard it should a 3.4ghz. I have not manually overclocked it, but could it have done this because the mobo has flashed bios for a 6 core or something?

If anyone could help, it would be great, as it was running perfectly stable before the new cpu was installed.

Thanks

Quick spec: ASrock mobo am2+(flashed to am3); Phenom ii x4 965BE; Arctic Freezer fan; ocz 750w psu;130gb hdd; Nvidia Geforce GT240;6 gb ddr2 cosrair ram
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: Installed a Phenom II x4 965 - crashing/overclocking?

Post by Major_A »

Try loosening your RAM timings or adding a bit more voltage. See if you can run SuperPi Mod, if it crashes it's likely 99% a RAM issue.
hypernexus
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by hypernexus »

Hi, No it was what I guessed- the cpu was overclocked , possibly from a previous bios setting. Nothing wrong with the ram.
I Reset bios, by popping out the mobo battery. Everythings fine now.

Thanks though.
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

I read it as you overclocked the PC and it was stable then it wasn't. My bad, you probably could've just as easily swapped the jumper on the board for a minute.
INeedAFnSuffix
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by INeedAFnSuffix »

Major_A wrote:I read it as you overclocked the PC and it was stable then it wasn't. My bad, you probably could've just as easily swapped the jumper on the board for a minute.
I read it as the previous owner overclocking the CPU though :roll: