Athlon4400 vs. Opteron175

Discussions about AMD Processors and overclocking. Need help with that new AMD CPU or not sure which one to buy? Like to void your warranty? This is the place for you! Please keep the topic on Processors only!
kojak71
Legit User
Legit User

Athlon4400 vs. Opteron175

Post by kojak71 »

I'm fearing that this might reveal just what a newby I am, but what exactly is the difference between Athlon 64 4400+ and an Opteron 175? Price wise they are similar, they are both dual-core processors and the speed and cache sizes are identical.
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

Opteron's are server chips.......Normally they are for dual or quad CPU servers. But AMD released the "1" series which work with s939 boards.

They are only officially supported by the likes of Tyan mobos
No desktop mobo maker will officially support them, but they still work

They tend to OC higher than X2's with lower voltage and have a stronger memory controller......basically they "the cream of the crop" from AMD.

They used to be cheaper than X2's but because of demand they are now harder to get.

FZ1 has a few of them......too...
pmanipole
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by pmanipole »

they do seem to be pretty similar.

i know opterons are hand picked and go thru more testing for stability because they usally run in servers.
kojak71
Legit User
Legit User

Post by kojak71 »

kenc51 wrote:They are only officially supported by the likes of Tyan mobos. No desktop mobo maker will officially support them, but they still work
So apart from their intended market, is there any architectural difference. I did notice that the Opteron's default voltage is a little lower than the equivalent Athlon.

Are there any motherboards that the Opteron will definitely not work in?

Price in the UK is more or less identical, and availability seems to be ok as well.
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

There is NO architectural difference!!!!!

They are just better cores, so can run with lower voltage.....this is importand for servers.....servers run hot and 24/7 --> must never crash

I can't say if all mobos will work, but any of the main boards should do.....

I don't use them so can't say for sure.....

AFAIK any board that supports dual core will do :?
ToMKaT
Legit User
Legit User

Post by ToMKaT »

I have one in a Asus Nforce4 A8N5x board and have had no problems. I'm windows 64 so I'm running into a bit of a problem finding some drivers for like my printer and my web cam but at default settings, i was running Microsoft Virtual Server 2005 R2 with a Vista 5308 bulid on it (with 512 Mb of ram) Media player 10 (playing music) and Unreal tournament 2004 all running at the same time.
FZ1

Post by FZ1 »

kenc51 wrote:There is NO architectural difference!!!!!

They are just better cores, so can run with lower voltage.....this is importand for servers.....servers run hot and 24/7 --> must never crash
They are basically the cream of the AMD crop for the reasons Ken states above. However, some Opterons don't OC much better than their Athlon brothers...like anything, it's a crap shoot.
Joe
wuzy
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Re: Athlon4400 vs. Opteron175

Post by wuzy »

The objective with Opteron(UP) S939 dual-core here is to break(or reach) that 3.0Ghz barrier which is impossed on nearly every Ahtlon X2 with standard sub-zero cooling.

Currently the Opteron(UP) 170 has the best chance of breaking that 3.0Ghz barrier relatively-lesser cooling.
liqnit
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by liqnit »

Opteron on 939 Socket will be the first to disappear when AM2 comes.
AMD is making those Opteon for the server market and ot for home users