AMD Announces 4x4 Enthusiast Gaming Platforms

Discussions about AMD Processors and overclocking. Need help with that new AMD CPU or not sure which one to buy? Like to void your warranty? This is the place for you! Please keep the topic on Processors only!
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

Anyone notice how the 4x4 design was just squeezed in?
They were lucky with the FX line, I didn't think people would pay ~$1000 for a CPU alone, I know Intel was first with the EE chip........but now AMD expect people to pay twice that, plus the cost of Quad SLI!

How the industry is changing..........AMD was always the cheaper, more viable option for users.........now it's Intels turn!
Thor
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by Thor »

DId they say anything about what HTX was to be used for?
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

Thor wrote:DId they say anything about what HTX was to be used for?
It will allow for a (very) high speed interconnect with add in cards, it uses the same connection as your system ram.....the HT bus.....
It's more for very high-end servers than the average user.
Xanlamin
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by Xanlamin »

And hard core gamers will benifit also.
Silent Fox
Legit User
Legit User

8x4

Post by Silent Fox »

I hope AMD don't stop at 4x4, rather I look forward to them announcing 8x4. Could you imagine 2 quad cores and 4 gpus?! :mrgreen:
Zinn2b
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Re: 8x4

Post by Zinn2b »

Silent Fox wrote:I hope AMD don't stop at 4x4, rather I look forward to them announcing 8x4. Could you imagine 2 quad cores and 4 gpus?! :mrgreen:
Did you see the power useage off that system it will be the same as 4x4 with 8x4. Massive power useage. What are you going to use 8 cores for.
Or even 4.

Amd has to concentraite on the core itself. I read everwhere . Wait till we see K8L it will be faster than . Conroe.

Thats a little misleading as K8L will be going against [email protected] and not Qc2d.
Did you see the demo of K8L if thats what you want to call it. Opening task manager and calling that a demo is rather lame I would say.
Also there projected performance improvements over the 2 core opties of 70% and 40% is really lame. AS intel present Qc2d has present 2 core opties beat by far greater % than 70% and 40%.

Did you Also notice that AMD was talking like Intel has nothing to go against K8L in a 16 core package.

Intel has already shown a 16 core setup = Tigerton that Scaled better than 100% . They also showed a real Demo not task manager.

Its dec now. If amd was unable to show a real demo now. Its highly unlikely they will hit there target release date.
Turtle 1 banned accused of being Zinn2b.

THE THREAT! I am going to tie your socks in a knott.
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: 8x4

Post by kenc51 »

Zinn2b wrote:
Silent Fox wrote:I hope AMD don't stop at 4x4, rather I look forward to them announcing 8x4. Could you imagine 2 quad cores and 4 gpus?! :mrgreen:
Did you see the power useage off that system it will be the same as 4x4 with 8x4. Massive power useage. What are you going to use 8 cores for.
Or even 4.

Amd has to concentraite on the core itself. I read everwhere . Wait till we see K8L it will be faster than . Conroe.

Thats a little misleading as K8L will be going against [email protected] and not Qc2d.
Did you see the demo of K8L if thats what you want to call it. Opening task manager and calling that a demo is rather lame I would say.
Also there projected performance improvements over the 2 core opties of 70% and 40% is really lame. AS intel present Qc2d has present 2 core opties beat by far greater % than 70% and 40%.

Did you Also notice that AMD was talking like Intel has nothing to go against K8L in a 16 core package.

Intel has already shown a 16 core setup = Tigerton that Scaled better than 100% . They also showed a real Demo not task manager.

Its dec now. If amd was unable to show a real demo now. Its highly unlikely they will hit there target release date.
"K8L" won't be a 90nm chip. This will lower TDP. It will also have L3 cache, HT vs.3 etc. It will be a very fast chip. It will going against what ever is Intels current chip is at the time. I don't think Yorkfield will be out at the same time.........that will be a little later, so people will be comparing it with the QX6700 or what ever name it will have then.
8x4 or what ever it will be called, won't use soo much power, it will be 2x K8L chips.

AMD have working silicon for the "K8L" --> It doesn't take long for them to perfect the masks used in production and make a full SKU. I'd guess they are already half way through another production run..........If this one fixes any bugs they have, they could start production very soon. It only takes ~3mths to make batch of chips. Sure AMD are also perfecting 65nm........but they really should have that one sorted by now, since 65nm X2 chips are due out now.

AMD are not in a good position, but they are used to playing second to Intel. Intel have always been infront of them, even with the Prescott fiasco they were still bigger.
I think it's make or break time for AMD when K8L comes out, they can't afford another year like '06. ATI will keep the shareholders happy for a while, but running FABs cost ALOT of money.
Eitherway, 2007 is going to be a very interesting year for us consumers........we are the ones that are going to come out on top ;)
Zinn2b
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by Zinn2b »

Yes your correct 65 nm. will be more effiecnt. But it will be 8 cores rather than the present 4 cores. So power usage will be = or > than the demoed one.

Also its going to be hard to compare K8L release to a desktop QC2D since . The desktop release of K8L isn't do until qt1 08 the earlier release.Is for servers.

Yorkfield will be out by than @ 45nm. Check the roadmaps .

Yes I know when 4x4 is on the road maps . But I think that unless they can improve powe consumption AMD will pull that in. Because of all the bad pess it recieved on power usage. That won't change because amd switched to 65nm. as their will 2x more cores.
Last edited by Zinn2b on Sat Dec 02, 2006 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

We don't know anything about the power consumption for K8L. 4x4 was a rush job, It's just two Opty's. AMD/IBM have learned some new tricks to lower TDP. Who knows what K8L will do ;)
I didn't know the desktop chip was going to be 1Q 08!!

Don't get me wrong, I'm not an AMD Fanboy. I started out using Intel and only switched this time last year. I miss the rock solid stability I got from Intel. (not for much longer though).
Zinn2b
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by Zinn2b »

Being a fanboy has nothing to do with it. We are having a reseasonable discussion on what K8L is bringing to the table.

On the high end AMD is saying K8L with 2 cores running @ 2.9 ghz.
89watts. they have lower wattage figures but they are at the lower end. We shall know alot more about this when k8 is released @ 65nm.

kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

2x 2.9GHz @ 89W could be good.........IF the chip have good performance per clock! Intel currently is @ ~65W TDP no? 45nm will either crush AMD in TDP OR Intel could use that advantage to gt even more MHz.

I'm now getting to see, AMD are in a very dark place now.........I could go as far as saying they look in serious trouble. If I was a shareholder I'd sell now and buy Intel.
If K8L doesn't compete with Intel, then they are fecked! With the desktop chip not coming till '08 they will have non chance.

David and Goliath all over again!
AMD is David = the good guy, since we need competition......I hope AMD can do it!
Zinn2b
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by Zinn2b »

No intel is at 65 watts on the lower end . @ 2.9ghz. I believe its 80watts+.

I think amd is going to be alright.

I believe they over reacted to Conroe.

If I was AMD I would have never demoed 4x4 using 2 cpu's. Instead I would have shown it using 1 cpu. and a co processor that would have created positive reviews.

I was wrong on the Projected power usage of K8L . Its 89watts at the high end for 4 cores which is great if they can pull it off.

Intel is projecting 55 watts for a 2 core wolfdale @ 45nm.@ 4ghz.