AMD's July 24th Price Cuts Happen

Discussions about AMD Processors and overclocking. Need help with that new AMD CPU or not sure which one to buy? Like to void your warranty? This is the place for you! Please keep the topic on Processors only!
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

AMD's July 24th Price Cuts Happen

Post by Apoptosis »

http://www.amd.com/us-en/Corporate/Virt ... 09,00.html

Take a look... I said the 5000+ would be around $300 and guessed $299 and they have it listed as being $301. I think I was close enough to being right for the $300 CPU shootout article.
prozac26
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by prozac26 »

Yea. Price cuts in effect, but are they enough to be competitive with Conroe? That's the question. Prices are pretty good, but I think Conroe is still better choice.

You can only argue the price of 975X mobos.
infinitevalence
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by infinitevalence »

well to be honest if i can upgrade cheaper on AMD even though the OC is not there i will take a look at it. But ATM they need to do better than 2.6ghz which is what im already running at. If i can get a 3ghz AMD CPU then i think its competitive.
"Don't open that! It's an alien planet! Is there air? You don't know!"
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

Everything i read is that the $316 Intel chip just smacks the 5000+. AMD had to lower prices further to compete I believe. I might still get an AMD cpu just because the motherboards are a TON cheaper, when I upgrade.

Mike
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

infinitevalence wrote: If i can get a 3ghz AMD CPU then i think its competitive.
They don't have the yields to do that!
Bio-Hazard
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Bio-Hazard »

I went ahead and ordered a s939 4200 X2 just because I can't afford to upgrade a complete system. This was my birthday present ........... 8)
infinitevalence
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by infinitevalence »

Apoptosis wrote:They don't have the yields to do that!
yeah thats my understanding as well. I really want conroe but im not sure the $$ is there for it. $300 might get me the CPU but then another 150+ for the motherboard!!! most of the new conroe motherboards are $200+ and thats just not affordable. Then you need good DDR2 and that runs for ~ $300+. So assuming i keep my video card, my PSU, and case then im at about $1000 for an upgrade. Where as if yields from AMD improve and i can get a 3ghz cpu for under 300 then i need to upgrade far less.

We will see but for now my X2 is working just fine and the only thing i would really like to upgrade is my memory it would be nice to have 2GB.
"Don't open that! It's an alien planet! Is there air? You don't know!"
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

seeing how AMD has killed the large cache X2's and is about to kill their 35W parts I'm not seeing things "getting better" over there. AMD has been all over Intel for not shipping Conroe yet, but at the same time many of the products they have recently launched have been cut.

In terms of 3GHz CPU's -- it's a dream right now. Not all of their processors can overclock over 3GHz, which shows how well their cores clock even with added voltage. The yields from AMD won't improve enough unless they go down to 65nm or 45nm, which is some time away for them.

If they want to produce a 3GHz CPU the fallout would be high and the additional screening would be very pricey. It would be like Corsair's PC2-6400C3 memory! AMD is in a price war, buying companies, and trying to compete with a competitor that just launched a part that is faster and more energy efficient than theirs. They only thing AMD has left to hold on to is the price versus performance factor. Welcome back to 2002 when we had the Althon XP AGOIA 1600+ processors for around $115 and could overclock the heck out of them. With AMD buying ATI they will get ATI's mobile phone division and I believe that is what AMD was looking at for the most part.