Quad Core Processors in 2006?

Discussions about AMD Processors and overclocking. Need help with that new AMD CPU or not sure which one to buy? Like to void your warranty? This is the place for you! Please keep the topic on Processors only!

Will AMD Launch Quad-Core Processors in 2006?

Yes, AMD will have true Quad-Cores Out in 06
24%
No, AMD is blowing smoke and not the good kind
76%

Total votes: 21

Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Quad Core Processors in 2006?

Post by Apoptosis »

After talking to a source deep inside AMD they told me that they will have quad-core processors this year. What do you guys think? I'm not talking 4x4 here... we all know that 4x4 is nothing more than a filler product to hold AMD over till quad-core arrives.
HONkUS
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by HONkUS »

do they mean quad core as in 2 x2 windsor cores on one chip ala early POS prescott dualies or do they mean K8L? Honestly I think K8L is gonna kick alot of ass I just hope they dont rush it just to beat up on Conroe.
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

I say YES, since they HAVE to do something to beat core 2 duo!! Price cuts just arent near low enough to compete.

Mike
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
Pengwin
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Pengwin »

maybe 4 x 4 not a 4 cores on 1 chip
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

It looks like No is taking the win ;)
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

quad core = 65nm
AMD / Chartered Semi can't do that yet! @ least not in the numbers needed for a full product launch AFAIK
AMD will release 65nm X2 chips before quadcore......currently there is only engineering samples floating around.....they need to perfect them first!
http://www1.oc.com.tw/forums/msgexcel.a ... =1&itype=1
There's a big difference between ES chips and a full SKU..........

Why market the "4x4" when/if they can do real quad core?
It doesn't make sense........we know 4x4 is only to "tide them over" till K8L. But launching it in a month or so, then releasing a real quad core platform 1 or 2 months later is a total waste of resourses, resourses AMD don't have just now.

Intel will release Kentsfield/Cloverton first and AMD will follow......my guess, it will be Feb, March @ the earliest......prolly April or May.

my 2c
infinitevalence
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by infinitevalence »

they cant do it... simple as that they dont have 65nm.

AMD cannot compeat with Intel, the good news is intel is compeating with its self and this helps out AMD just a little. And TBH while they dont OC as well AMD is still competitive in the price/performance. Nates article on the new AM2 cpu reminded me that you can get AM2 and you cant get conroe yet.
"Don't open that! It's an alien planet! Is there air? You don't know!"
Pengwin
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Pengwin »

quad core as in 4 cores on 1 socket? or 2 cores on 2 sockets?

and yeah...i didnt read all the other posts :) :oops:
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

Quad-core AMD K8L tapes out
Charlie Demerjian says...
The Inquirer wrote:For new designs, it usually means about a year from tape-out to availability, but a lot can go wrong between now and then............................In this case, the Q2/07 target looks a like a stretch, early Q3 is more of a safer bet. µ
LINK

more here also
http://www.amd.com/us-en/Corporate/Virt ... 41,00.html
AMD wrote:AMD plans to deliver to customers in mid-2007 native Quad-Core AMD Opteron processors that incorporate four processor cores on a single die of silicon.
my March/May prediction might not be too far off ;)
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DMB2000uk »

I did read somewhere that AMD or someone from AMD had said that they would be able to demo this chip this year...

Which if true would mean that AMD did get quad core out, but just not for public 'consumption'. Though it would seem very quick from the tape-out to getting ES's ready if that is true.

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

http://www.tgdaily.com/2006/08/17/core_ ... confirmed/

hmmmm - I still say AMD HAS to get quad core out this year!!!

This article http://crunchgear.com/2006/08/17/quad-c ... n-the-way/ states this holiday season it will be out for Intel!!

Mike

Guess I should have posted this in its own in the iNtel cpu forum - think I will do that also.
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
stev
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by stev »

DMB2000uk wrote:I did read somewhere that AMD or someone from AMD had said that they would be able to demo this chip this year...

Which if true would mean that AMD did get quad core out, but just not for public 'consumption'.

That would seem reasonable enough. Not only a demo, but a few selected review sites posssbily before public 'consumption'. :drinkers:
AMD X2 TK-57 1.90Ghz | F700 Quanta | PC2-5300 DDR2 2Gb | GeForce 7000M | DVDRAM GSA-T40N | HP LaserJet 1018
My Stats http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/ ... =&u=303718
http://www.eff.org - Electronic Frontier Foundation - working to protect your digital rights
Baddad53
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by Baddad53 »

stev wrote:
DMB2000uk wrote:I did read somewhere that AMD or someone from AMD had said that they would be able to demo this chip this year...

Which if true would mean that AMD did get quad core out, but just not for public 'consumption'.

That would seem reasonable enough. Not only a demo, but a few selected review sites posssbily before public 'consumption'. :drinkers:
Which in my book is technically not out..demo..few units for review is not out. If you and I can purchase it and it's in our hands ....it's out.
SepheronX
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by SepheronX »

What people forget is, that most of Intels technology is what gave AMD the direction it was going in. The only really good processors were the K7 and K8 based architectures, and I believe that will be only AMD's for a good while. Intel is just too large and rich of a company to be dealt with.

And also, they promised us 65nm technology sooner :(
stev
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by stev »

SepheronX wrote:What people forget is, that most of Intels technology is what gave AMD the direction it was going in.

Intel gave us X86 64-bit CPU's first? Nope. Nada.

Even the AthlonXP CPU's before the 64-bit days were gaining ground nicely. :mrgreen:
AMD X2 TK-57 1.90Ghz | F700 Quanta | PC2-5300 DDR2 2Gb | GeForce 7000M | DVDRAM GSA-T40N | HP LaserJet 1018
My Stats http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/ ... =&u=303718
http://www.eff.org - Electronic Frontier Foundation - working to protect your digital rights