intel vs amd. whats the difference?

Discussions about AMD Processors and overclocking. Need help with that new AMD CPU or not sure which one to buy? Like to void your warranty? This is the place for you! Please keep the topic on Processors only!
DeusEx
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

intel vs amd. whats the difference?

Post by DeusEx »

i was looking at cpu prices on new egg and here is what i found.

intel core 2 duo e6400 at 2.13 ghz
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6819115004
costs 221$ USD shipped.

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600+ Windsor 2.4GHz
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6819103751
costs 199$ USD shipped.

which one is faster? does intel ghz = amd ghz? I saw that the amd supports "hyperthreading" whatever that is. why is the price lower on the Amd one? i havent considered buying an amd system and if i can save money by doing that then maybe i would go for it this summer. whoever is CPU guru enlighten me :?
dicecca112
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by dicecca112 »

Certainly not the guru, but I'll try to help

which one is faster? does intel ghz = amd ghz?
No hasn't for a long time
I saw that the amd supports "hyperthreading" whatever that is. why is the price lower on the Amd one?
That would be hypertransport, Hyperthreading was on old Intels. The price is lower, because the chip can't hold a candle to Intel in benchmarks. AMD did massive price cuts when Conroe came out
i havent considered buying an amd system and if i can save money by doing that then maybe i would go for it this summer. whoever is CPU guru enlighten me
The intel you listed is/can be a monster overclocker.

Take a look at these benches are your choice will be clear

http://www23.tomshardware.com/cpu.html? ... &chart=171
DeusEx
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DeusEx »

damn ive been checking out the benchmarks on the site you gave me and in each case intel wins. :*( here goes my budget system LOL.
dicecca112
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by dicecca112 »

Let me put it this way, I went from an 930 system to this conroe and I was floored, unbelievable performance, huge jump in performance, benchmarks, my folding times in a lot of cases where cut in half. Production more than doubled (9k a month to 22+k a month). Its a totally redesigned architecture compared to the older ones. It works great.
SAMSAMHA
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by SAMSAMHA »

either one is great cpu. as for which one is faster, the intel core 2 duo should be faster albeit a bit slower clockspeed due to the achietecture. Not to mention that core 2 duo is oc like crazy.

The amd's price is lower because it's old technology and performs less than intel's counterpart.

If you wait till summer, the new core 2 duo will be out with 4mb cache, so you can get much better deal.

I replaced old socket 939 4200+ with core 2 duo and I got to say, i love it. I haven't oc yet but looking at review sites, I should get a good oc result.
dicecca112
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by dicecca112 »

SAMSAMHA wrote:
If you wait till summer, the new core 2 duo will be out with 4mb cache, so you can get much better deal.
Yes the 6320 and the 6420 will be out, but it has been proven that the 4mb cache oc less. And by that point quad core will have dropped in price by almost half, and the newer quads should almost be out
Ebbing
Legit User
Legit User

Post by Ebbing »

So your saying Intel > AMD?
largon
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by largon »

Yes, atm Intel C2D is a smater choise.