I took the plunge and am trying to overclock

Discussions about AMD Processors and overclocking. Need help with that new AMD CPU or not sure which one to buy? Like to void your warranty? This is the place for you! Please keep the topic on Processors only!
KnightRid

I took the plunge and am trying to overclock

Post by KnightRid »

Ok, now BABY STEPS people ;)

I am using the Easy-Tune 5 software from gigabyte :p

I have it 10% overclocked and it seems stable. when I take it to 13% it dies right away, and at 12% it dies after a bit - this has been stable for a LITTLE time now at 10%.

Is that a good overclock? I think it is partly my memory ( geil 400mhz ) and partly that i cant up the voltage on the cpu, but I am a HUGE newbie to this, so any help/corrections are WELCOME!!!

I can up the memory voltage from 2.7 to 2.8, but should I?

FSB is at 220.1 in cpu-z

Picture to be posted soon.

Here it is
Mike

What else can I do? I know the GA7N400PRO2 motherboard is not a good overclocking one, but is 10% decent? I have a barton 3000+ cpu btw. If I used higher mhz rated memory, could I go further?
Last edited by KnightRid on Fri Jan 12, 2007 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

Yes 2.8v on the ram should be ok.

First off, get memtest86+ and burn it to CD
Also get ORTHOS & SuperPI

"Baby Steps" -> couldn't have said it better!!!
Your going to have to test each part of the system individually, this way when it crashes, you know why!
First goto you bios and see if there's an option for CPU multiplier.

Your CPU runs @ 2.16GHz : your multi is set to 13x by default and the fsb is 166 (13x166=2160MHz)
What you want to do is test the ram first, but you don't want errors from the cpu, otherwise how can you tell the ram is at it's max?

Lower the multiplier to 10x Then start raising the fsb ~3mhz at a time, testing in memtest, orthos and superpi between each change. When it gets unstable, add more voltage to the ram.

After you find the max your ram can do, look in the bios for an option for memory frequency. change it so the ram speed is either 100mhz or 133mhz.

Then raise the cpu multi back to the default 13x and start raising the fsb again, this time by ~5mhz at a time....testing in between changes again.
When it's unstable, add more voltage to the cpu. upto ~1.75 or 1.8v should be ok if you have good cooling.

This way you'll find the max of each part, then you can decide / test what combination will work best........

Report back after you find instability......we should be able to find some tweaks to go a bit higher.
I don't know if your bios has the various settings, so you might not even have the option to OC via there though :?

:EDIT:

What revision of the motherboard is it? GA-7N400 Pro or GA-7N400 Pro2 (Rev 1.x) or GA-7N400 Pro2 (Rev 2.x)??
dgood
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by dgood »

good luck the athlon xp's blow for overclocking I hear. I tried to oc mine and got liek less than 100 mhz but it was an old 1700+
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

kenc51 wrote:Your CPU runs @ 2.16GHz : your multi is set to 13x by default and the fsb is 166 (13x166=2160MHz)
Actually my cpu runs at 2.09Ghz, 10.5X, and 200mhz fsb :)

kenc51 wrote:What revision of the motherboard is it? GA-7N400 Pro or GA-7N400 Pro2 (Rev 1.x) or GA-7N400 Pro2 (Rev 2.x)??
GA-7N400 PRO2 Rev 1x - that is mine

Thanx for the help so far - after getting back from the inlaws I will grab some of that stuff and give it a shot!!! I dont think the bios has much overclockability built in, but it does have some. I think the main disadvantage is not being able to raise the cpu voltage...I am guessing based on what I have read over the years ;)

Mike

Still running at 10% overclocked on cpu and memory and has not stuttered!!!! running f@h the whole time too ;)
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

I am assuming ORTHOS = sp2004?

http://sp2004.fre3.com/download.htm

I cant use the orthos version on this system since it is a single cpu - yes dark ages, I know lol

I will try them on the Intel if I can ever find a program to let me overclock, since the motherboard has NO settings what so ever :(

Mike
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

This is just becoming crazy now..

ok this board I can do ratio multipliers by changing dip switches on the board - manual page 14
BUT I can not do slight increases to the memory timings - I have to choose in multiples of 25% ( if I remember correctly ) between 50% and 200% - page 47/48
FSB is the same - I can only choose 100,133,166, or 200 - page 47
I CAN change the vcore of the cpu, memory, and agp - page 60

cpu - +5%, +7.5%, or +10%
DIMM - +.1, or +.2
AGP - +.1, +.2, or +.3

When i change the memory timings to 125%, it freaks when I even try to load windows - so unstable....but i have to other option except 100%..lol

This Easy Tune 5 program might actually be the best thing I can use :(

ok now the important questions...

should i change the multiplier using the dip switches - this will change the cpu and not the memory, correct?

should I overvoltage the cpu and memory? just the cpu? just the memory? neither?

should i lower the fsb in order to raise the clock multiplier? - sounds dumb, but I thought i read that some people did that on a site..??

so for now - 10% overclocked on cpu and memory is the max - 11% gets unstable.. :(

better than nothing i guess

Mike

Oh the Intel board - dg965wh, I can not overclock that puppy at all!! I havent found a program to do it, and there are no adjustments in the bios :( so the dual core can not be overclocked at this time - until I get a real motherboard ;) anyone wanna swap..lol
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

I'm in work now, but if you goto the bios and press "CTRL + F1" you'll get the advanced options ;)

I'll have a look @ the manual when I get home..............if it uses dip switched, then it's old skool :)
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

Ok tried the CTRL+F1 - andit worked!!!:) showe all kinds ofneat things. Now for the problem...I kept the memoryat 83% ( 400mhz ) set the fsb to 240 :0 did not boot...I figured that was too high. I tried boosting the vcore, no help. I turned it back down to 220, where the software program ran fine, wont boot...now I pulled the battery out ( onlyway to reset this bios it seems is to pull the power and battery for at least 30 seconds )and it wont come back on :( This is my last try at getting it to boot before i start pulling drives and switching everything over to this dual machine i am on now.

Why would it run through the sotware at 220fsb and 440 memory but would not run at the same settings through the bios? That just makes no sense to me.

Mike

might be missed letters at places, wireless keyboard on this system - CHEAP wireless keyboard I shouldsay ;)
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

WHEW - I am back and running - I tried it at 201mhz in the bios, and it did the same thing - wont boot.

Now why can I change it with easy tune, but not in the bios? something seems wrong there :(

I think my adventures in overclocking at least this board are over ;) unless someone can tell me I am an idiot and forgot to change something else along with the fsb setting.

Mike

Glad I dont have to tell the wife :axe:
dgood
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by dgood »

http://www.hothardware.com/viewarticle. ... icleid=210
try this out, it may help you a little bit to see waht they had running they got it up to 2.43ghz from the 2.13 or whatever it started at and for an XP thats a decent overclock, never got much out of my 1700+ or 2200+.
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

Thanx dgood!!!

I have mine at 10% over - 2.315ghz through the easytune software, but through the bios I can not even go 1mhz up on the fsb or it wont boot...I dont get it.

Mike

Oh well I guess 10% isnt bad!!
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

dgood wrote:good luck the athlon xp's blow for overclocking I hear. I tried to oc mine and got liek less than 100 mhz but it was an old 1700+
oh man... my Athlon XP's were the ****... They would kill anything Intel had at the time!

Here are a few pictures back from 2003 that I still have saved of my killer AMD Athlon XP 1700+ DL3TC stepping...

The hard to get 1700+ DL3TC

Replacing my 'old' 1600+ AGOIA with the 1700+ DL3TC (Notice the rear window defogger mod on the 1600+)

Gotta have a shim...

With water cooling I was able to get over 2.5GHz-2.6GHz out of this baby.
dicecca112
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by dicecca112 »

hahah wuss, I never used a shim :mrgreen:
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

Mike buddy,
Grab a pen and piece of paper, list/post all the bios options.........there's no reason why you can't boot @ least 210MHz fsb set via the bios.........you should be able for upto ~220MHz..........after that it depends on if the PCI bus is locked at 33MHz or not, and the cooling on the nForce 2 chipset.
What type of ram do you have? You might need to change/loosen the timings a bit.
Even 220MHz FSB via software is still a free upgrade 8)

Sorry for not getting back to you sooner.......

Ken
dgood
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by dgood »

oh man... my Athlon XP's were the ****... They would kill anything Intel had at the time!
Agreed I think they were the **** but I couldnt' ever get a good air cooled oc out of them. most I got was 100 mhz on one and 150 on a 2200+. I however love the procs I"m going to go by university surplus to pick up a 2700+ and pop it in my old 1700+'s place. The athlon MP's though those things oc'd like mad. friend got 400-500 mhz out of his on stock cooler in a shuttle. sorry for jynxing you knightrid.
dgood
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by dgood »

2.43GHz (13x187MHz) at default voltage is what the website said that I linked. thats lower fsb than normal isn't it? but higher multiplier.
and heres a tom's hardware look at a barton core oc.
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

Why do all these reviews say the BArton is a 166mhz cpu and 200mhz is just a dream? I HAVE this cpu and it IS 200mhz fsb stock :p

Go figure..lol.

Ken - yea i figured somethign is freaky if I cant even take it to 201mhz and boot - it just has a blank screen when it boots...something is wierd!!

I might grab the digital camera and take some pics of the bios screens for you :) better than writing it down!!

Mike

Still running 10% overclocked with EasyTune5 and running perfect...go figure.
dgood
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by dgood »

Link
so i read around for people oc'ing the 200mhz fsb versions of the 3000+ and they basically make it sound like its already oc'd from the 166mhz version. so you won't get much out of it on the fsb level without lowering the fsb and bringing up the multiplier.
The Black Pumpkin
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by The Black Pumpkin »

Hey Knightrid, go to Socketaplus and enter the forums there. It's an expert den for Socket A stuff.

Also, I've one case of a 250 mhz fsb there, so high stuff can be done. Just not that safely. :P
Last edited by The Black Pumpkin on Mon Jan 15, 2007 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AMD Opteron 1224SE "Santa Ana" = DFI Lanparty UT NF590 SLI-M2R/G
Crucial Ballistix 4x1GB DDR2 800 = Corsair CMPSU-750TX
Sapphire 4870 1GB = Sceptre X20WG-Naga 20" = Logitech X-530 5.1
Seagate 320GB (SATA II) x2 = Samsung SH-S203B (SATA)
camaroguy1998
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by camaroguy1998 »

The Black Pumpkin wrote:Hey Knightrid, go to [urlwww.socketaplus.com]Socketaplus[/url] and enter the forums there. It's an expert den for Socket A stuff.

Also, I've one case of a 250 mhz fsb there, so high stuff can be done. Just not that safely. :P

Seems socketaplus.com has crashed. I get this when I try to enter the forums.

phpBB : Critical Error

Could not connect to the database
ASUS AM4 TUF Gaming X570-Plus (Wi-Fi)
AMD 3400G - 32G GSkill RipJaw V - {Win10} Pro 64bit, Win11 Update
Corsair H100i RGB PRO XT 240mm AIO Cooler
Corsair RM750X PSU - Corsair Force MP600 M.2 2280 1TB SSD
ASUS 27" LED LCD monitor - Lepai 2x20W Amp - Dayton B652 Spkrs

Corsair 4000D Airflow