Overclocking amd athlon xp 2000+

Discussions about AMD Processors and overclocking. Need help with that new AMD CPU or not sure which one to buy? Like to void your warranty? This is the place for you! Please keep the topic on Processors only!
Rodis
Legit User
Legit User

Overclocking amd athlon xp 2000+

Post by Rodis »

Hello,

I am new to overclocking so i have lot's of questions :-)

I have a amd athlon xp 2000+ with a ecs k7vta3 v5.0 motherboard.
Is it possible to overclock the processor? I have read that most of the xp processors are locked and can be unlocked by connecting some bridges. Is this true? And how do i know is lokced and what bridges do i connect to unlock it, if locked.

Also i would like to know if it is possible to run this amd at 2.0 ghz it is running 1.67 standard by the way. And what cooling is best for this. I have read on the internet that somebody is running it at 1883 with standard cooling.
I have also rad it is recomended to overclock through highly adjustable bus speed settings. does anybody know if my MoBo has them?

Hope somebody canhelp me with this , and hope i can run it a litlle bit faster :-)
Please also visit my site http://www.startbasis.nl
gvblake22
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by gvblake22 »

It is not likely that you will be able to get a whole lot of extra overclocking headroom out of that processor, so I doubt watercooling is going to be necessary. A decent air cooling solution should do you just fine for a bit of Socket A overclocking. You can check to see if your processor is unlocked by trying to increase the CPU multiplier in the BIOS (just increase it by one step and see if it works). If it works, then your processor is unlocked, if not, then it isn't! :lol:

But I would suggest just increasing the FSB by 10MHz with everything else at stock and see how your system reacts. Test it by running several stability tests and/or benchmarks like StressPrime 2004, any of the Futuremark benchmarks, MemTest86, SuperPI, etc. You can check on your memory and processor's specifications and speeds most easily by using CPU-Z. Just go slow, only change one thing at a time, and test it thoroughly each time for stability and/or performance improvement so you don't waste your time with something that is will actually perform worse.
Rodis
Legit User
Legit User

Post by Rodis »

Thanks for your reply.

just found that i cannot find the multiplier in my bios so i guess it is locke i did changed my fsb frequency from 133 to 140 and now everest gives me a higher cpu clock speed it gives me 1750 instead of 1670

so i am gonna take your advise and give it a notch till 143 and see what it does up untill now now temps are changing so i geuss i don't need to replace my cooler either.
Please also visit my site http://www.startbasis.nl