Arctic Cooling Freezer Pro + 3800+ x2 939 = ???

Discussions about AMD Processors and overclocking. Need help with that new AMD CPU or not sure which one to buy? Like to void your warranty? This is the place for you! Please keep the topic on Processors only!
dgood
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Arctic Cooling Freezer Pro + 3800+ x2 939 = ???

Post by dgood »

so I have those two things mentioned in the subject.
A copper heatpipe cooler from arctic cooling with some Arctic Silver 5
and a s 939 3800x2 just like the one reviewed by LR so long ago. I was wondering what clocks people think I can get with this set up. So decent air cooling on an asus a8n5x motherboard (friend got a new one when he though it was broken, and I kept it when we found it wasn't.) I have it running at 215x10 with memory divider at 333/400 and stock voltage whichever it is. after 20 min of orthos it passes and i'm not going but around 44-46 C on the processor atm. I will go a bit higher. Just thought I'd see what people though I could accomplish. I do need better case cooling fans. I have two psu 80mm fans but the rear exhause on the ultra wizard is 120mm only so I need to get ahold of a 120mm before I can oc it more.

My goal is 240x10= 2.4ghz
dgood
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by dgood »

So here's where i'm at now:

Since I"ve taken this picture, it's ran for another hr or so, so it's been up for almjost 2 hours running blend. Since it passes small tft's or whatever for 30min. I am at 240mhz fsb and ram divider at 333/400. Voltage is still stock and cooler is arctic cooling freezer pro 64. I was wondering what to do now, the temps with the side of the case open are around 48C under load from this it seems. I imagine gaming it'll get hotter because the graphics card will heat up the ambient. With the case closed it gets a good amount hotter. do i try ofr 250mhz fsb without raising the voltage? or just try for it in general on air cooling if my temps are good? I'm going to be selling this to a friend actually, but he wanted me to overclock it to about 2.4 at least, since I told him I probably could.
dgood
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by dgood »

Some Updates, I ran this for 3 hours earlier then 5 more shortly there after no failures either time, just was busy doing other things on it that I didnt' want it taking up my cpu.
Now I am working on getting it up higher. Remember this is all still on stock voltage of something like 1.375 or whatever cpu-z says. I have never seen temps hit 50C yet and each time it seems to be increasing 0 in heat. I guess as long as it is stable and I don't see a crash then I won't worry too much that my sensor could be off. I do know that right now I have it at 2454mhz and my ram at 205mhz so I hope it doesn't have problems running 5mhz fast I'll lower the divider if I do see problems. and I'll shoot for even faster fsb to bring my ram back up yet again. seeing as I raised it from 333 to 400 on fsb.
ran for 30 min so far at 2450mhz at stock voltage. Either this mobo/processor combo is the best ever for overclocking, or this cooler is awesome, or all three I think. I've heard the 3800x2 939's can do wonder's overclocking, but damn this think could beat my fx-60 in all but cache sizes lol.
dgood
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by dgood »

Alright Ran all night at 2.5ghz on orthos and my temps dropped lol. I think that is mostly because our heat in our house goes down at night. That and also I had my window open for a while, but I doubt it would have gone over 50C, I think I would have just maybe hit 50C without the change in temp. Do I keep going for 2.6? Remember i'm on stock voltage still. Anybody?
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

Keep going!!!! Also adding a little more voltage shouldn't increase temps too much......1.4v should be ok
dgood
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by dgood »

it was too bad I had to drop ddr 400 ram down to 266/400 divider just to keep going though after 240 333/400 made it back to 400 so down it went another step. I'll keep the voltage stock until I actually get it to fail orthos lol. I left it running the cpu test on orthos when I went to school so 8 hours from then I'll be home to look at it lol.
dgood
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by dgood »

OK so here's where i'm at now still at stock voltage, memory divider is downt to 266 and i'm running blend test on 2607mhz. (2.6ghz). I ran Orthos all day today onteh 2.55 and it passed for 10 hrs on small tfts and 1hr on blend before I bumped it up, the temps were still under 50C. The ambient of the case is 32C, but my room is probably close to 67F so that's 19.44 C. So room temperature and case airflow plays a big part. However it's looking like I can get 2.65 or even 2.7 or even higher out of this processor and 2.65 or more even on stock voltage. That my friends is better than my fx-60 which I've had running at 2.8 only gaming stable. Not orthos stable. sometimes orthos would pass with flying colors for hours on it and others it wouldn't. This processor is amazing. I think on my fx-60 though that i'm motherboard/ram configuration limited. I was trying a multi changer and not an fsb though, though I did try the fsb on it and got the equivalent result. So 2.65 is the next step I'll take pics of the 2.6 on stock voltage in a bit after I let it run a little longer on blend since it passed small tft's for 1hr I figure'd blend would get me more full system stability.
dgood
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by dgood »

windows crashed/locked up I guess when running orthos at 2.65ghz. at stock voltage I guess if I want more progress I need to up the voltage from 1.375v to something like 1.425 or something. I'll deal with it when it's in his own case and at the kids house It's cool to see I got 2.6ghz on stock voltage though and the odd thing is orthos didn't fail at 2.65 windows locked up and the cpu speaker went blaring off when I hit the windows key. figured it wasn't that stable at that point, though the temps were fine ;).
dgood
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by dgood »

Got this thing up to 2.65ghz on 1.4 volts so I finally raised the voltage from stock. Ran great but I broke my theoretical limit of 50C and had one core hit 55C. Big jump in temps from voltage increase. SO I decided i"d wait till I get some 120mm fans in. I have 5 on the way I bought a 5 pack from zzf of ultra 63cfm 120mm fans. splitting them between my computers and a friend or two's. then ill actually have a rear exhaust fan for that case. I know I should have before overclocking, but whatever those results were awesome :finga: .
dgood
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by dgood »

SO what's the difference between the toledo and manchester cores on the 3800 x2? cuz they have the same size caches on them unlike all other toledos. Does one Overclock better than the other? I ask this because I"M about to go for round two on the overclocking a 3800 x2, with the same 20 dollar cooler from ewiz.
odie2190
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by odie2190 »

nice man you have inspired me to start ocing again.
dgood
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by dgood »

well I had it at 2.5ghz no problems ran blend and small tffs for 6 hrs a piece no crashing was going to put it at 2.6, but i'm having hard drive problems with teh 13gb system drive and the 20gb both 5400 rpm hard drives I had lying around. so I need to reformat and pop in a better hd, except I don't have one. so I guess I wait for now. as I couldn't keep windows up long enough to test stability at 2.6. orthos never failed, but the harddrive did.
Zelig
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re:

Post by Zelig »

dgood wrote:SO what's the difference between the toledo and manchester cores on the 3800 x2? cuz they have the same size caches on them unlike all other toledos. Does one Overclock better than the other? I ask this because I"M about to go for round two on the overclocking a 3800 x2, with the same 20 dollar cooler from ewiz.
I've had both a Manchester and a Toledo, the Toledo has been better overall.

The Manchester did 2.4 GHz with stock voltage, 2.6 with comfortable voltage.

The Toledo does 2.8 stock, maybe higher, but I'm stuggling to make any decent ram dividers work past 2.6 GHz, my ram is about 210 MHz max, and high HTT with dividers gets finnicky.
dgood
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: Arctic Cooling Freezer Pro + 3800+ x2 939 = ???

Post by dgood »

did you try ddr400 running at 266 at 280 fsb? that should put your ram at 186 or something liek 370mhz. so it'll be a little slower than stock ram but at least you get 2.8ghz processor. I am running into harddrive problems at the moment so I'll have to wait till I can do more. I am also using a worse motherboard imo. A machspeed instead of an asus I was using before. I was at 2.5 and stopped as I can't get this harddrive to keep in windows lol.
Athlonite
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Re:

Post by Athlonite »

dgood wrote:SO what's the difference between the toledo and manchester cores on the 3800 x2? cuz they have the same size caches on them unlike all other toledos. Does one Overclock better than the other? I ask this because I"M about to go for round two on the overclocking a 3800 x2, with the same 20 dollar cooler from ewiz.
The Toledo core was originaly a 1024KB cache with half of it disabled where as the Manchester core was built with only a 512KB cache to start with and the transister count is lower in manchester 233milion vs 166milion in manchester
Asus Crosshair V Formula
AMD FX 8320 @ 3700MHz NB/HT @ 2600MHZ
2x 4GB Corsair Vengeance LP 1600 C9
1x Sapphire Radeon HD 7850 9550MHz core 1250MHz mem
1x Pioneer DVD-RW DVR212S SATA
2x Samsung HD502IJ 16MB cache 7200rpm raid0
1x Samsung HD502IJ 16MB cache 7200rpm storage
1x WD2500AAJS 8MB cache 7200rpm storage
Thermolab Baram 1 x 120mm CM R4 90cfm 2000rpm 1x SilverStone 120mm AP 1500rpm 37.5cfm
SilverStone ST75F-P 750W PSU Full Modular
SilverStone RaVeN RV02B-W