What temps are dangerous for a CPU?

Discussions about AMD Processors and overclocking. Need help with that new AMD CPU or not sure which one to buy? Like to void your warranty? This is the place for you! Please keep the topic on Processors only!
vicaphit
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

What temps are dangerous for a CPU?

Post by vicaphit »

I have an AMD 64 3200+, I have OCed to 2.2ghtz (2ghtz stock), and it currently shows in core clock to be running at about 35C... How high do you think I could push it before I would have any chance of frying any part of my computer?

I dont want to OC any more if anything is going to get damaged, but I would like to push it a little further since it is my bottleneck.
gvblake22
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by gvblake22 »

It isn't until you actually start getting into the upper 60ºC range that you risk doing damage to your processor. I usually try and keep my load temps at 50ºC or less so if it is an unusually hot day or something, I don't have to be too worried.
Zertz
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Zertz »

I think the max temperature of those chips is 70, so you want to stay below that. Personnaly, I like staying in the low 50's (full load).
gvblake22
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by gvblake22 »

Zertz wrote:I think the max temperature of those chips is 70, so you want to stay below that. Personnaly, I like staying in the low 50's (full load).
Actually it looks like we're both right...
According to AMD's processor compare, it may very quite a bit depending on what stepping and version you have...
ADA3200DEP4AW
ADA3200DKA4CG
ADA3200DIK4BI
Zertz
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Zertz »

That's the exact pages I was looking for :P
vicaphit
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vicaphit »

and what is the best way to get it to perform under full load? should I just load up battlefield and play for a while and then quit and check temps?

has anyone ever oced one of these before? it is the orleans chip. I just want to know if there is a way to OC it higher without an awesome heatsink

the one I have is pretty large, and the intake fan is ducted to flow right past the HS (dell dimension 521)
Zertz
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Zertz »

ORTHOS: http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/385/mirrors.php

It will put a 100% load on your CPU and look at your temps while it's running.
werty316
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by werty316 »

Be sure to use CoreTemp or SpeedFan since they are more accurate.
There is no theory of evolution. Just a list of animals Chuck Norris allows to live.