Question about painting a PC case

Want to show off that smoking system or your latest creation?
Zertz
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Question about painting a PC case

Post by Zertz »

I'm planning to mod a case I have, no problem here.

One thing I'm not too sure though, the case is a cheap one, not too sure what metal it is but the front panel is plastic. If I decide to paint it, most likely black (it's beige right now...), will there be a huge difference between the black on the plastic and on the rest of the case?

I want to keep it simple if possible. To paint the plastic I was looking at something like this:

http://images.canadiantire.ca/media/ima ... _6416b.jpg

Should I sand the rest of the case and use spray paint? Whatever color I shoose, I don't want a glossy finish.

Thanks!
Last edited by Zertz on Thu May 31, 2007 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
skier

Post by skier »

well for puff can you would need a "flat" color (eg. flat Black, flat Red etc.) and not use a clear coat(clear coats create a gloss finish, no matter what paint is below it)..

you would want to sand the current paint mostly off, or atleast smooth, unless you want the current texture of the case..

any plastics paint or any paint that says "for plastic" on it(it can say " for Metal/Wood/Plastic" as long as plastic is included)

are you doing any modifications to the case or just paint?
-Austin
Screamin' BCLK: Image
775 System (Overclocking Platform): Q8400/Q8300/E8400/E7400/E7500 - GA-EP45-UD3R v1.1 - 4GB (2x2) OCZ Reaper HPC DDR2 1066 CL5 2.1v Corsair TX-750w
Gamer: Asrock Z77 Extreme4, i7 3770K @4.6GHz, ThermalTake Armor A90 modded, 2x4GB GSKILL RipjawsX DDR3 2133 CL9, Corsair HX-750w, MSI GTX660 Twin Frozr
Server2012: Q9300 - 8GB DDR2 - Asus P5QL Pro - Corsair CX430 - Mirrored 2TB Seagate's with 2TB WD cav for fileshare backups, 1TB WD for OS backups
Zertz
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Zertz »

skierkid450 wrote:are you doing any modifications to the case or just paint?
I think I'm going to sand it, cut some holes and then paint.

I will do something similar to you for the side panel, without the Volkl logo. I'll possibly cut almost the whole top part, keeping only the frame and make a plexiglass window and somehow attach a 120mm fan on it.

I'm thinking black case, red LED fans. This case allow me to hide cables pretty well, so that's good.

Oh and, did you paint your PSU?
skier

Post by skier »

Zertz wrote: I will do something similar to you for the side panel...
i didnt do anything to the side, just paint- the original Antec Lanboys came with that window, The blue on it is gloss, and the volkl logo is flat black so it stands out more

-the top hole doubles as a handle(i havn't got plexi yet)
- what kind of holes- tiny ones for a little ventilation, or some kind of design?
- and no i didn't paint my PSU but that aint a half bad idea
-Austin
775 System (Overclocking Platform): Q8400/Q8300/E8400/E7400/E7500 - GA-EP45-UD3R v1.1 - 4GB (2x2) OCZ Reaper HPC DDR2 1066 CL5 2.1v Corsair TX-750w
Gamer: Asrock Z77 Extreme4, i7 3770K @4.6GHz, ThermalTake Armor A90 modded, 2x4GB GSKILL RipjawsX DDR3 2133 CL9, Corsair HX-750w, MSI GTX660 Twin Frozr
Server2012: Q9300 - 8GB DDR2 - Asus P5QL Pro - Corsair CX430 - Mirrored 2TB Seagate's with 2TB WD cav for fileshare backups, 1TB WD for OS backups
Zertz
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Zertz »

skierkid450 wrote:i didnt do anything to the side, just paint- the original Antec Lanboys came with that window, The blue on it is gloss, and the volkl logo is flat black so it stands out more
Nice, I like how the black looks.
skierkid450 wrote: - what kind of holes- tiny ones for a little ventilation, or some kind of design?
Fan size hole (120mm) with some kind of fan grill, nothing too fancy.
Something like this:
http://www.rsssim.com/images/140_112/15 ... 40x112.jpg
Is it possible to cut plexiglass and put a fan grill like this with a fan?
skierkid450 wrote: - and no i didn't paint my PSU but that aint a half bad idea
Yeah I think I read that somewhere... mine is grey so it would look weird if I don't paint it.

I'm gonna dig to find some drawing skills I may have and make a draft.
smack323
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by smack323 »

i have never had luck painting plastic it always flakes on me.. perhaps its this plastic paint i need.
Core i5-6500 - Corsair Vengence 16GB DDR4 2133 - MSI 2080Ti - Antec 750W - Crucial 525GB SSD - Windows 10 64bit - ASUS 32" LED
skier

Post by skier »

smack323 wrote:i have never had luck painting plastic it always flakes on me.. perhaps its this plastic paint i need.
for me it worked fine, it looks exactly like the rest of the case, or did yours flake after a looong time, cuz mine i did in late march
-Austin
HONkUS
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by HONkUS »

if your painting plastic I recommend doing this
Zertz
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Zertz »

HONkUS wrote:if your painting plastic I recommend doing this
His paint job is amazing, thanks for the link! :)

I was trying to find a way to put some red around and what he did with the drives is a very good idea.
HONkUS
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by HONkUS »

not a problem!

I was amazed by it also. Thats why im doing it to my case as well lol.
Zertz
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Zertz »

Found some pretty interesting stuff while browsing further in his website, he also has detailed guides to cut a window in a HDD/case/optical drive.

http://case-mod-nexus.com/linear/hard-drive-window-2/1/
http://case-mod-nexus.com/linear/case-m ... -window/1/
http://case-mod-nexus.com/linear/case-m ... -painting/

Another question: does paint adhere to the interior metallic part, like the drive cages? I never painted anything that isn't a wall and I want to do a good job, so I'm asking whatever comes to my mind :P
odie2190
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by odie2190 »

wow thats a realllly good paint job.
Indignity
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by Indignity »

Zertz wrote: Another question: does paint adhere to the interior metallic part, like the drive cages? I never painted anything that isn't a wall and I want to do a good job, so I'm asking whatever comes to my mind :P
Yep, same principal as painting the outside. I've found wire brushes help for the little areas you can't reach well.
Intel Core2Duo e6600 @ 3.78GHz/1.47v n ASUS P5N-E sli n 4x1GB Crucial Ballistix Tracer PC2 8500(currently 5-5-5-15-2t) n FSP Group (Fortron) FX Series FX700-GLN-E 700W Power Supply n APEVIA X-Navigator ATXA8NW-AL Case n eVGA GeForce 7600GT 256MB GDDR3 n 1.25TB Seagate Barracudas(3 setup as hot-swap) n AuzenTech XMYSTIQUE7.1 Sound Card n Innovatek Eheim HPPS Plus 12V WaterPump n Danger Den TDX CPU block n Swiftech MCR320-QP (3x120mm) Radiator
Zertz
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Zertz »

I don't have alot of free time, but I'm back to fixing my case now.

I'm going to nearly cut all of my side panel to make a window, leaving about 1-inch for a frame and some space to glue the plexiglass.

Should be getting a Dremel friday so I can
-Cut out the unecessary steel on the 2x 80mm front intakes for better airflow.
-Make 2 holes for 120mm fans at the bottom and a blowhole on top.
-"Upgrade" the 80mm hole on the back to fit a 120mm fan.
-Fix a few things here and there inside the case to improve cable management.

I'm still debating if I should paint the interior, it's kind of ugly but it doesn't matter for now, I can do that later on.

Should get my new CPU heatsink, fans and random stuff I ordered friday so that'll motivate me finishing the job. :)

I'll take some pictures and upload them eventually.
HONkUS
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by HONkUS »

sounds good! I would go with painting the interior, it really adds a unique look to your case.
Zertz
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Zertz »

With the exterior black, do you think painting the interior in black as well would look nice?

My motherboard's PCB is black too and I'm gonna have red LED fans, final setup should look decent, can't be worst than what it was originally :)
HONkUS
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by HONkUS »

black interior would look good, I did something similar on my last case except I did the interior red. I dunno it just seems like a waste if someone spends time doing the outside of their case and does nothing to the inside. in my opinon anyway
Zertz
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Zertz »

Yeah, especially with a window it would look kinda crappy.

I don't even have 2 full days/week to work on this so it's going slower than I originally thought. And I'm still waiting on some parts to arrive :?
Zertz
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Zertz »

Did the interior today, black. Looks pretty good IMO. I screwed up one of my side panels today which really sucks because it's the one we see, probably going to end up staying like that for a while, don't feel like sanding and painting again :?

Only need my damn fans and stuff to show up... :evil:
HONkUS
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by HONkUS »

you can get automotive paint stripper at an auto parts store it works great at removing paint off metal but do not get it on your skin or breath it, I got some on my skin and it gave me a nasty chemical burn.

Also did you clear coat your interior or leave it with a matte finish?