P180 Watercooled Project Log (56k Beware!)

Want to show off that smoking system or your latest creation?
Skippman
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Skippman »

Awesome. Simply awesome.

Damnit. Now I have to go and spend money again to water cool ASAP. Now, if only I can get Bio-Hazard or Nate to help me out. lol
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DMB2000uk »

Minor update, now have 2GB or RAM. yey! No more running out of free RAM for me anymore.

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)
awwc
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by awwc »

I'm most likely going to be doing the same exact rad placement in a 180, how long did it take to fill your loop? Anything you wish you had done differently?

thanks!
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DMB2000uk »

Filling and bleeding takes a while, and its a pain to get all the bubbles out. But I still think T-lines are better. It was exciting (first water build) so time seemed to fly by). Tilt the case towards your pump to get the most water in it and try not to leave it on so long that

I would make sure that you leak test for 24 hours before using the PC. I couldn't wait and as a result had a v.small small leak, fortunately I was lucky and nothing got broke.

Use a Dremel for nuking the drive bays, I didn't have one so spent a lot longer making a bodge of it.

Fans set to blowing air out of the case first time round. May use slightly warmer air on the radiator, but it stops it getting clogged with dust from fans on intake.

Think thats about it, the fun of modding is that you'll find out things you could have done better when you have just done it!

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)
awwc
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by awwc »

right on. thanks! yeah I've spent about 2 months researching all my parts for my new c2d build. and now the last couple nights I've been scouring the forums for rad placements in the 180.

I've already dremel'd out all of the metal fan grilles (sans the tabs for the filters) and I think this AM I'll make my cuts for the cable runs.

thanks again)
id86
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by id86 »

nice modded there...great casing too.its very suitable for modding :)
Prizy
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Re: P180 Watercooled Project Log (56k Beware!)

Post by Prizy »

UR RIG IS SO DAMN HOT! is it single?? lol
hopefully one day ill 2 have water cooling but not atm ill need more info on it. :)
cya man nice job with the pc.
eVGA 750i SLi FTW
Intel E8500 @ 4.10ghz
4GB 1066Mhz Corsair Dominator ram
eVGA GTX260 Core216
Coolermaster 690
Thermaltake 600w toughpower
Seagate 120GB HDD
Seagate 160GB HDD
Samsung 250GB HDD
24" DELL 2408WFP LCD
20mb internet ADSL2
martini161
Mr Awesome
Mr Awesome

Post by martini161 »

nice job, im planning a similar mod on my new case, also a p180, but i was planning on meshing it up and putting a window. two things i noticed though, even though you are (hopefully) wareing an anti static bracelet, i would not recomend working on a pc on a carpet with socks on :? also, did you not use a radiator because of space constraints? or do you just perfer to use a t line? one last thing; whered you get your fan grill and that template?
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DMB2000uk »

I guess I should kind of update this.

I swapped out my powersupply for a better one (still 500W, but much tighter voltage regulation (within 1% on most rails) and slightly more amps on 2 of the 12v rails), so my rig now looks like this:

If you have a keen eye, you will notice that my pipes are routed slightly different. This is because I have swapped round the radiator so that the barbs are at the front of the case now.

See no barbs here!

I did this so that I had better clearance between the pipes and the memory modules. I'm getting some CL3 800Mhz OCZ Reapers, and they have a heatpipe thing going on at top of the modules. With the pipes routed right on top of the memory before, they wouldn't have fit in the system. So I decided to swap round the radiator and the barbs on it.

I had to use 90 degree barbs, wasn't too keen on doing that due to restrictions, but in the cramped case there wasn't really anything else I could do. Note that due to how I had cut the radiator hole at the top, I had to remove the front drive blanks to accommodate the side of the radiator with the barbs in.

Yes, those tubes have been hacked at. But I can't see any of this as the P180 has a pretty case door that hides all that away. Interestingly, I think that allowing air to enter the case here has reduced the temperature in the water loop by a degree or two. The downside to the intake here will be dust buildup as there is no air filter there. I guess I could make one, but I doubt I can be bothered to :mrgreen:

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DMB2000uk »

And thanks for all the comments guys ^_^
martini161 wrote:nice job, im planning a similar mod on my new case, also a p180, but i was planning on meshing it up and putting a window. two things i noticed though, even though you are (hopefully) wareing an anti static bracelet, i would not recomend working on a pc on a carpet with socks on :? also, did you not use a radiator because of space constraints? or do you just perfer to use a t line? one last thing; whered you get your fan grill and that template?
I don't use antistatic bracelets. Grounding yourself on the case metal once in a while when you are working on it is more than adequate. PC components are more resilient than you might think, and static buildup/discharge because of carpet is not that common (But feel free to be safe rather than sorry, but I like living on the edge :P)

I chose not to use a reservoir as it was one less component that I had to try and cram into my system, and T-lines give you slightly better performance over res's.

The fan grill (and included template) is made by AC Ryan, you can find all sorts of awesome modding bits and bobs there. (The fan grillz range is here on their site).

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)
SASA
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by SASA »

Awesome. Simply awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :supz: :supz: :supz: :supz: :supz:
Attachments
my PS
my PS
Core_2_Quad_QX6700_1_1.jpg (148.35 KiB) Viewed 16290 times
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DMB2000uk »

Erm, thanks for sharing your rig SASA.

I decided that I need to update the pics on this thread...
(It might have something to do with methious' swamp thing thread being posed to about to overtake this thread for page views)

So here is the current state of my sexy rig.

(click to enlarge!)

Since the last updates, I've installed the 2GB OCZ Reaper Kit (3-4-4-15 @ 800Mhz @ 2.4v(!)), and have gotten a PC Power & Cooling 610W Silencer.

As far as tweaking goes I managed to get the timings of the RAM down to 3-4-4-11 @ 840Mhz @ 2.2v. Which doesn't sound much unless you know how hard the AW9D-MAX boards push the RAM subtimings. I'm hopeful if I take this kit over to another board I will be able to get faster Mhz out of the kit.

Here are some benchmarks at the different maximum points of my memory (i.e. fastest overclock with loose timings [green], default [blue], and fastest overclock at tightest timings [purple])

As for the PSU, with everything I can throw at it, and I mean everything, the voltages were read as follows:

Rail_|_Idle__|_ Load

5v _|_ 4.94 _|_4.92
12v |_12.04_|_12.02
3.3v| _3.34_|_ 3.34
(check out that for an ascii table ^_^)

A couple of good reviewing sites found it on par with the legendary Corsair 620HX so I'm happy with it. It being not modular means I have to hide a lot of cables, but I can live with that.

I was messing about with the case pics when I cut out the background, and I decided it looks strangely cool in negative.

Lastly, I was running with the reapers with the CPU at 3GHz 24/7 (I decided that 3.33Ghz needed just slightly too much voltage with my chip, even under water). But with my recent photoshop escapade, I put the machine back to stock and put 2x512 RAMs in to give me 3GB. So I might try to see if I can get 3Ghz with this 3GB that is in now, or just take out the 2x512 and go back to my sweetspot for the overclock. One thing is for sure, the 1GB Ballistix Kit that is additional to the reapers won't do the 3-4-4-11 I had the reapers at. :(

Peace Out.

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)
stopthekilling77
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by stopthekilling77 »

very neatly done! my P180 is giving me the glare of "you gonna let him get away with that? WHAT ABOUT MEEE??"

:lol:
Cyberpower generic case
B450M PRO-VDH MAX
Ryzen 5 3600 w/PBO/OC
CM Hyper 212 EVO push/pull
Corsair VENGEANCE LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3600 CL16
MSI RTX 3060 Ti Ventus 3X 8G OC LHR
Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB
6GB Seagate HDD
EVGA 650BQ 650W PSU
ASUS VE278 27" monitor, Dell E2216HV (vertical)
Logitech Z533 2.1 Speakers, G935 7.1 or G435 headset
MS LXM-00001 keyboard
Razer Deathadder Elite, XBOX One Lunar Shift controller

I've come a long way from my original Core2Duo E6750 build y'all! :supz:
Alathald
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Alathald »

Looks great! I'm really starting to like that case, might up a p182 in the future... =P~
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DMB2000uk »

stopthekilling77 wrote:very neatly done! my P180 is giving me the glare of "you gonna let him get away with that? WHAT ABOUT MEEE??"
Give it the TLC it deserves :axe:

It takes ages to try and properly wire the PSU in as neat as possible (I think my case is messy! but I'm near enough OCD) but it's worth it.
Alathald wrote:Looks great! I'm really starting to like that case, might up a p182 in the future... =P~
You won't be disappointed, they are very nice cases. I've toyed with the idea of getting a P182 for a while (pretty much a waste of money considering I already have a P180) but I would love to have it's better cable management system. Routing cables under the mobo would help make my case look so much cleaner. The only downside is, the newer P180/P182's have all four 5.25" drive bay cages as one piece, where as the original P180's (i.e. mine) had the bottom drive cage as separate to the rest of the top cages. So I wouldn't be able to mod the bottom drive bay off as clean to make room for my pump.

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)
martini161
Mr Awesome
Mr Awesome

Post by martini161 »

how the hell did you get that fan mounted over the ram?
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DMB2000uk »

The rig is so magic so it floats.

People who don't believe in magic think that it is balancing on the back of the GPU suspended between the WC tubes and some wires.

But they're wrong. :mrgreen:

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)
Alathald
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Alathald »

martini161 wrote:how the hell did you get that fan mounted over the ram?
There's a little smurf in there holding it up, why do you think he went with the blue LEDs?

BTW Dan, you REALLY need to get yourself a dremel, you could make all that stuff look so much cleaner, though I must say you've done OK with cable management as it is...anyway, I think I will upgrade to a P182, should of spend the money on a good case from the start, but first I'll probably buy a AMD6400+ to top off my first build nicely.
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DMB2000uk »

An opportunity has arose to modify my P180 some more.

I've finally decided to strip down my watercooling to replace my dodgy pump. Plus I am swapping out all the case fans (minus rad fans) to some Noctua NF-P12's. I want as close to silence (ok, ambient noise) as I can get; My Antecs are starting to feel too loud on their lowest settings. More airflow at the same noise level, or less noise same airflow are my options with the noctua's. I hope I won't be disappointed.

So while I've got the case stripped down (which I had to do as I routed some fan wires under the mobo), I figure its the best time to buy/borrow/steal a dremel and go crazy :P

However, things are going to be a bit hectic for at least the next week, so I don't know when I'll actually get round to doing this. Fingers crossed I'll be able to hold out before I get fed up of not having my PC in the sexy case it should be in and put it back in unmodded :mrgreen:

Dan

PS. Forgot to add that I've swapped out the thermal tape stuff that was under the NB, mofsets, SB etc for some Tuniq TX-2 (better than AS5 peeps!) and now the heatsinks get really really hot. Just goes to show how inefficient the thermal tape stuff really is.
Image (<- Clickable)
Methious
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Methious »

Thermal tape is really inefficient, I swapped out thermal tape on the NB for Artic Ceramique and the heat sink heated up instantly after the switch. So much so I felt like I had to increase air flow.

Looking good.