Water Cooling Plumbing Question

Discuss cases, PSUs, and various cooling techniques in here.
Skippman
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Water Cooling Plumbing Question

Post by Skippman »

I'm debating on water cooling my twin GPU's. I've been doing some reading and it seems my choices for water blocks are pretty narrow. All the ones I've looked at are 1/4" diameter. My cooling loop is 1/2" ID.

What is the best way to plumb this? Run a splitter off the output of my CPU water block to two 1/4" leads, one each for the two water blocks, then recombind them at the end returing to the pump? Or should I plumb them in series, running out from the CPU block to the first GPU, then the second GPU, then returning to the pump?
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Water Cooling Plumbing Question

Post by DMB2000uk »

If 1/4" is your only option (are you going full block or something? and are you sure you cant get one with changable barbs?) then the splitting them will make the most sense, else the bottleneck of pipe size at your GPU's will negate the advantage of having 1/2" ID tubing in the rest of the rig.

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)
Skippman
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Skippman »

I can get 1/2" barbs but to my understanding the actual path through the blocks are 1/4" so I don't know what diffrence that's going to make. I was looking at full block solutions from Koolance, EK, and a few others. To my understanding the Swiftech block will not work with my particular card (as much as I'd love to use Swiftech blocks). The problem I'm running into is my cards a second generation refrence design and most of the cooling blocks are dedicated to the first generation. I'm not looking to overclock, just to get rid of the cooling fans and that massive heat sync.
Bio-Hazard
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Bio-Hazard »

The XSPC has great internal flow for a full coverage block, but like you said, it more than likely won't fit. About the only solution you have right now would be GPU only blocks with sinks on the ram and v-regs.
Attachments
Razor11.JPG
Razor11.JPG (122.12 KiB) Viewed 5435 times
Razor9short.JPG
Razor9short.JPG (109.85 KiB) Viewed 5437 times
Skippman
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Skippman »

Swiftech MCW60's were my first choice. Do you think those will work for my rig Bio?
Sporg
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Sporg »

I've got one (MCW60) on my HIS 4850. You can always shoot an email out and ask your questions if you are worried. Heck, I can do a diagonal measurement of the holes for you on the back of the card. You only really have to worry about those anyway, and then just get RAM sinks.
I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong.
~Bertrand Russell
Bio-Hazard
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Bio-Hazard »

MCW60's should fit no problem, they've fit on every card I've had to date.

If you're out in my area Skip, bring one of your cards along and we'll double check to see if they will for sure.

My RMA'd 4870 is supposed to be here Saturday, so I can check on that as well if you like, but I'm not sure if it's going to be the old or new reff style because the company has just recently switched to the newer version.

If you're talking about this version of the MCW60

http://www.swiftech.com/assets/images/p ... TERNAL.jpg

The block its self will fit, but the heat pipe portion is setup for the original reff card bolt pattern.
Skippman
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Skippman »

I had looked at the 4870 custom version of that block before. I determined it wouldn't work with my card becuase it's the newer refrence version and like you said the heat pipe won't work. I was considering just the stand alone water block with some heat syncs. I think that will bolt right up, cool the GPU, and clear that copper support bracket Powercolor puts on the edge of thier cards. My gpu currently has copper plates attached to the RAM modules. I guess I could just bolt the heat syncs for the RAM to that then.

For the record I did e-mail both Gabe @ Swiftech and the tech support area at Swiftech about 5 days ago and haven't recieved any response. I also can't seem to get authorized on thier forums to post my questions. Wierd considering Swiftech usually has excellent customer service. :-k
Bio-Hazard
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Bio-Hazard »

The basic block will bolt directly to your card, ATi hasn't changed their cooler bolt pattern in years.

Here's a pic of the MCW60 standard top bracket sitting directly on top of the cooler mounting screws on a non-standard Asus 4870.

I've used this same block on every video card I've owned from a ATi 9800 up to and including my blus Sapphire HD4870 Toxic without any additional hardware.
Skippman
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Skippman »

So you're not using heat syncs on your RAM?
Bio-Hazard
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Bio-Hazard »

Yes I am, they were the Swiftechs as well.
Skippman
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Skippman »

Are you running a sperate loop for your GPU's? I don't think I'd have enough room in my case for that. Also, do you think I'd be ok sticking the RAM sync's on to the copper plates or should I remove the plates and try to attach them directly to the RAM modules themselves?

Here's what I'm thinking I should do:

Swiftech Pump > Radiator > Apogee GTZ > MCW60 (top 4870) > MCW60 (bottom 4870) > Return to T-Line and Pump.

If I leave the GPU's at stock clocks I think my tripple radiator should be able to handle the thermal load.
Bio-Hazard
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Bio-Hazard »

I'd try it with the sinks on the coper plares first to see just how well it does, you can always pull them later if the temps aren't to your liking.

Currently I only have a single card in my rig because of the RMA (due back Saturday), but I am running dual loops. But you shouldn't have a problem running your complete setup off of just the MCR320.
Skippman
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Skippman »

Ok, so I'm about ready to pull the trigger and get two of those Swiftech GPU blocks. Should I run them in series or parallel? If I do series it'll be less flow restriction. If I do parallel it'll be cooler fluid to the second block. I'm leaning towards series for simplicity's sake.
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DMB2000uk »

Series; there's no point messing about with splitting them to parallel if you aren't forced to.

The second GPU will just have to deal with it :P

If later when you are overclocking, find out which one works best, and put that one in the hottest spot.

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)